Failed a class

Started by Tamala
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tamala

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What options do you have if you take a class and recieve a "D' ?
Is a retake the only option?
 
I have a similar question.. the class for me is not a pre-req, it's an art history class. However I graduated from college and finished that class nearly 5 years ago. If i were to retake that class, it would still be on my college transcript. but would it still show up when calculated for a MD program>?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you did poorly in a prerequisite, you should take it again. There are stories of success with poor grades on their transcripts (I know a successful ER doc who told me he got a D in Orgo), but these people are rare. My advice is to take this course again.

If the course is not a pre-req and some time has elapsed, leave it be. You prove your mettle by acing your pre-reqs and demonstrating success in the nearer term. I had some poor non pre-req grades on my undergrad transcript from freshman year. When I applied to medical school at age 35 it didn't seem to matter.
 
I got a D in Orgo I. I retook it and got an A. No one mentioned it to me in the interviews and I ended up being accepted.