Failed ABOG Written Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellemich

Reaction score
It's been a week since I found out I failed my written ABOG exam by 5 points. I'm trying to make a plan moving forward and could use some recommendations! I have an appt. to see a therapist to help with my mood (I'm not sure if this impacted the test or not, but I know I am feeling anxious and depressed since receiving the news).
  • Does anyone have any test taking skills courses they recommend? I know ABC and ExamPro both offer courses; does anyone recommend them? I don't think I had an issue with timing, but I did flag many of my answers and spent time reviewing/questioning myself during the exam.
  • Last year, my residency did Dr. Wall's review course and I still have the materials/questions. I also went through TrueLearn twice and the Prologs. I'm not opposed to another review course to reinforce my foundational knowledge. Which course is best? Should I try Rosh Review QBank? Any help or recs are greatly appreciated! ♥️

Members don't see this ad.

It's been a week since I found out I failed my written ABOG exam by 5 points. I'm trying to make a plan moving forward and could use some recommendations! I have an appt. to see a therapist to help with my mood (I'm not sure if this impacted the test or not, but I know I am feeling anxious and depressed since receiving the news).
  • Does anyone have any test taking skills courses they recommend? I know ABC and ExamPro both offer courses; does anyone recommend them? I don't think I had an issue with timing, but I did flag many of my answers and spent time reviewing/questioning myself during the exam.
  • Last year, my residency did Dr. Wall's review course and I still have the materials/questions. I also went through TrueLearn twice and the Prologs. I'm not opposed to another review course to reinforce my foundational knowledge. Which course is best? Should I try Rosh Review QBank? Any help or recs are greatly appreciated! ♥️

I would search through the forum. There used to be a sticky on the written boards.

I don't know why they got rid of it. One of the few useful things in this forum.

But the main thing is doing a ton of practice questions.

I used Dr. Walls. Their review course offered a lot of practice questions that mimicked the actual written boards very well. I remember them offering dozens of practice tests ( typically 50 questions a test).

Did you have access to those practice tests?

The question stems in the written boards are short in general compared to Prolog questions etc.

Don't get bogged down by studying too many different review courses.

Pick one course to study.
Review practice bulletins.

Most importantly, do a ton of questions. Over and over. It doesn't matter if it seems repetitive, that's the whole point. I know for a fact that I saw some questions from my practice test on the actual test ( or at least very similar).

Treat this like a second job because it is.
It will be painful but you will get through it.

The test is straightforward. It's not trying to trick you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would search through the forum. There used to be a sticky on the written boards.

I don't know why they got rid of it. One of the few useful things in this forum.

But the main thing is doing a ton of practice questions.

I used Dr. Walls. Their review course offered a lot of practice questions that mimicked the actual written boards very well. I remember them offering dozens of practice tests ( typically 50 questions a test).

Did you have access to those practice tests?

The question stems in the written boards are short in general compared to Prolog questions etc.

Don't get bogged down by studying too many different review courses.

Pick one course to study.
Review practice bulletins.

Most importantly, do a ton of questions. Over and over. It doesn't matter if it seems repetitive, that's the whole point. I know got a fact that I saw some questions from my practice test on the actual test ( or at least very similar).

Treat this like a second job because it is.
It will be painful but you will get through it.

The test is straightforward. It's not trying to trick you.
I appreciate your response, thank you. This reaffirms the plan I have been constructing. Thank you!

I think it matters less which course you do and matters most that you put good time into the one that you choose.

I did walls course and truelearn questions. It was fine. I will use different resources for orals.

Agree with the advice above. Hammer question banks.