Nov 25, 2010
Status
Non-Student
I see that ICO allows students to repeat the year rather than be dismissed. How come you cannot do that?

OP
V
Nov 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
They said that they pretty much don't believe that I'll do better this quarter. Basically, in order to show them that I am capable of doing good in the program, I need to take at least 4-5 sciences in post-bacc program and get A's only. Then, i have a chance of getting accepted again.

Nov 27, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
They said that they pretty much don't believe that I'll do better this quarter. Basically, in order to show them that I am capable of doing good in the program, I need to take at least 4-5 sciences in post-bacc program and get A's only. Then, i have a chance of getting accepted again.
my suggestion would be to go to another school. That decision sounds pretty harsh... with all the new schools opening there not that many more applicants than there are positions ... many of the schools are worried about being able to even fill their class...

Nov 25, 2010
Status
Non-Student
Smit, only half of all applicants to opt schools end up with a seat somewhere. Go to opted.org and see the stats.

KHE

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
Optometrist
I failed my anatomy class by 1%! It was just first quarter, and I've improved a lot from first round of exams to last ones. I've been dismissed anyway. Does anybody know if I have any chances to get accepted again in other schools as well? First time I applied, I got accepted to other schools but now I've been dismissed... :confused:
Something has got to be missing from this story.

I can not fathom any school dismissing a student for failing one class by 1%, particularly if they have made substanial improvement over a first set of exams.

If it's true, which again I'm skeptical of, then I would let that be a beacon to every single person on this forum considering optometry school to not consider ICO because that is a completely ridiculous policy.

KHE

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
Optometrist
Smit, only half of all applicants to opt schools end up with a seat somewhere. Go to opted.org and see the stats.
Where are those stats? When I look at the class profile .pdf I'm not seeing anything that would indicate that only half of applicants are being offered seats.

Nov 25, 2010
Status
Non-Student
No, I meant half of all OVERALL TOTAL applicants (some of whom have applied to more than one school) end up with at least one seat in one school and can start opt studies somewhere.

"For academic year 2008-2009, 2,822 individuals applied for admission to the schools and colleges of optometry in the United States (including Puerto Rico). " from http://www.opted.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3344

If you calculate the number of total seats in all opt schools combined you will see that about half get in. I am sure the numbers are more favorable this year with three more schools, but the situation is similar. My point was, no, the schools are not running out of applicants to fill up their seats.

Apr 21, 2010
Status
Optometry Student
I believe ICO's policy says that a student can be dismissed when failing a class AND when achieving a GPA of 2.25 or below. You can try to appeal it though by appearing before the SPC.

saiwahhh

5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Status
Optometry Student
Something has got to be missing from this story.

I can not fathom any school dismissing a student for failing one class by 1%, particularly if they have made substanial improvement over a first set of exams.

If it's true, which again I'm skeptical of, then I would let that be a beacon to every single person on this forum considering optometry school to not consider ICO because that is a completely ridiculous policy.
i will be attending ico in the fall, and i would like to hear "the rest of the story" if there is more to it.. please fill us in OP.

OP
V
Nov 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
My GPA was lower than 2.25. But, someone also failed anatomy, her GPA was same as mine, and they gave her guaranteed spot next year.
My question: is it possible to get accepted to other schools if I've been dismissed? I really like ICO though. It is a great school!

OP
V
Nov 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Of course people have to consider attending ICO! I love this school no matter what... And I am not trying to discuss their decision here. I am just asking for you opinion about getting accepted again...

Last edited:

eyestrain

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2005
South Dakota
Status
Optometrist
My GPA was lower than 2.25. But, someone also failed anatomy, her GPA was same as mine, and they gave her guaranteed spot next year.
My question: is it possible to get accepted to other schools if I've been dismissed? I really like ICO though. It is a great school!

What is your actual GPA? Even best case scenario of a 2.25 is pretty terrible. I'd assume that has as much to do with you getting the boot as your failed anatomy class.

Jun 23, 2010
Status
Optometrist
If you do not get in, don't panic. Optometry is not worth the hassle that OD school makes you go thru. Now with the internet, patients can get their eye wear with out a prescription. Go into dentistry if you want to stay in the health field

OP
V
Nov 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
I really like Optometry though. I don't want to go anywhere else. I'll do my best, I am not going to give up :)

msjang

10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Michigan
Status
Optometry Student
"But, someone also failed anatomy, her GPA was same as mine, and they gave her guaranteed spot next year."

If this is true, then you should appeal to the academic board at ICO ASAP, unless you are leaving out details of your story..

I am a current student at ICO and I can say that ICO give students lots of chances, whether it'd be on tests or practicals. There were people who failed certain classes (yes, plural) and was allowed to repeat the year. there are at least 4 ppl in my class who are like that.

Dont give up Valuha! If you really want to do optometry and like ICO to be the institution where you want to receive your education, go take the 4 to 5 science classes post-bacc program and get As, prove it to ICO that you have the drive, perseverance, and work ethic to be able to succeed in optometry. Best of luck to you!

Jun 23, 2010
Status
Optometrist
I really like Optometry though. I don't want to go anywhere else. I'll do my best, I am not going to give up :)
you may like it but your scope of practice can be so limited by state laws and insurance companies it won't be worth it

Meibomian SxN

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Optometrist
I hate to sound unfair but you can not always compare your situation to other students. Someone else may have "connections" that allowed them to stay, parents may be ODs, someone broke out the "kneepads" etc.

Regardless if you want to stay with Optometry or try another allied health career, I would DEFINITELY recommend you take a general anatomy class somewhere else and PROVE to the board at ICO that you are worthy of another chance. No other program will accept you if they see that you couldn't handle the workload, and no offense but applying anywhere with a 2.25 GPA with no back up post grad classes is a guaranteed waste of application fees.

You may even want to consider completing a 1yr post-bac program geared towards medical school while you are reapplying. It may be expensive but at this point you need to PROVE to others that you can handle the workload, period.

Good luck :xf:

DrSpontaneouz83

10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Maryland/DC
Status
Optometry Student
I had to present myself in front of the SPCA at ICO and they gave me 2 options: 1) return the next year when my "problems" were resolved and I wouldn't have to repeat classes I got a "C" or better in. 2) I could continue in the program but I would have to bring my GPA up above a 2.25 (meaning I needed to get like a 3.10)... I wonder what would have happened had I chosen the 1st option. Long story short, things were still crazy and it didn't work out for me.

I just finished my 1st semester of 2nd year at IAUPR and believe me..I find myself studying just as hard as I used to at ICO. They're a lot stricter about accepting transfers (meaning you would probably have to start from scratch) and 1st time applicants all around. However, I definitely do not regret going to IAUPR...and to be very honest, I like it sooo much better than at ICO..but that's just my experience. Hang in there and don't lose hope in being an OD. But definitely analyze what went wrong and if you truly have the drive to better it, give it another shot. There is no short-cut to becoming an OD...but for the record, anatomy in 1st year caused 4 people to go home and those that slid by..most likely won't be coming back next semester because 1st semester 2nd year is crucial! Anatomy is a 7 credit course at our school, and like in any other program, it only gets harder after.

eyecare

15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Status
I graduated from ICO several years ago, and I stand behind my school, for anyone saying they have a ridiculous policy! They do not.

I know for a fact that you will not be dismissed for failing one class, even with a low GPA. We had a few students that were dismissed after the first year, and we even had a meeting with all the students in our class in order to dismiss rumors about how ICO quickly kicks you out you if they think you "can't make it." They showed us examples of students' grades, all of which were mostly D's and occaisonal F's, but they were STILL given more chances to improve. You should have been given the opportunity to retake that exam, and then if needed, go before the committee. So this story doesn't make sense.

Also, your profile says you are "pre-optometry." What is that? Have you started classes at ICO, or just preparing for it??

OP
V
Nov 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Maybe it doesn't make sense for some people, but that's what happened to me. On SPC meeting they did not even give me an option of dismissal (there was an option of repeating final, repeating class during the summer, or automatic re-admission next year) , but that was their decision. They pretty much told me that if I did "that bad" during the first quarter then they "should make a right desicion for me". I've talked to several people/advisers, they said it doesn't happen often, but it happens.
My profile says: "pre-optometry" because I am not an optometry student anymore, I got back to a 4-year college (because when I found out about their decision it was too late to apply to any post-bacc programs) in order to take 20 credits of higher level science classes before applying again.

Jay12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2007
Canada
Status
Optometry Student
Maybe it doesn't make sense for some people, but that's what happened to me. On SPC meeting they did not even give me an option of dismissal (there was an option of repeating final, repeating class during the summer, or automatic re-admission next year) , but that was their decision. They pretty much told me that if I did "that bad" during the first quarter then they "should make a right desicion for me". I've talked to several people/advisers, they said it doesn't happen often, but it happens.
My profile says: "pre-optometry" because I am not an optometry student anymore, I got back to a 4-year college (because when I found out about their decision it was too late to apply to any post-bacc programs) in order to take 20 credits of higher level science classes before applying again.
Is that they DID give you the option of repeating the final, repeating the class during he summer, or automatic re-admission next year....or NOT being given any of those options and being dismissed from the school altogether?

Meibomian SxN

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Optometrist
Is that they DID give you the option of repeating the final, repeating the class during he summer, or automatic re-admission next year....or NOT being given any of those options and being dismissed from the school altogether?
I agree. If you were dismissed over 1 class without any chance of remediation, I would have contacted a lawyer. But at this point its too late.

Study hard, volunteer during spare time and apply again. Consider other professional programs too.

OP
V
Nov 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
During SPC meeting they asked me what I would choose out of those three options. I said that I would like to retake final/class, and that I do not want to start over next year, but if I have to start over I would do that because I would do anything in order to become an optometrist. They chose to dismissed me, they said that I did not prove them that I am capable of doing good in school.

Meibomian SxN

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Optometrist
During SPC meeting they asked me what I would choose out of those three options. I said that I would like to retake final/class, and that I do not want to start over next year, but if I have to start over I would do that because I would do anything in order to become an optometrist. They chose to dismissed me, they said that I did not prove them that I am capable of doing good in school.
Unfortunately they do choose to just plain out dismiss some students who struggle with grades during the 1st two semesters. It is a shame they can not be more willing to help you out and give you another chance.

It already seems like you have picked yourself back up and started taking some other classes in order to show your dedication to a professional education.

Apply to other schools and make sure you tell them that the course work was a lot to handle at first but now you have a better grasp on how to study and excel.

Good luck! :xf:

Jan 21, 2011
Status
Pre-Optometry
@valuha, I'm going to attend ICO in the fall and I was wondering if you were partying a lot or was the course load just ridiculous? Do you think you could have passed if you had done something differently, or were you doing your best?

Reactions: Dani91