Failed Biochemistry...Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a really unfortunate situation right now. I failed my biochemistry class during the fall semester and I need this class to complete my degree and satisfy the pre-requisite classes for medical school. I know the F doesn't look good to medical schools, but I have my reasons for why this class did not end so well. I had planned to retake this class over the summer, but unfortunately, my school decided not to offer the class this summer. The only option I'm left with is to take this class online or take it at another campus. So far all the listed schools with transfer equivalencies to this class at my school are not being offered this summer either. The only time I have to take this class is during the summer since I plan to finish my degree in August. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a really unfortunate situation right now. I failed my biochemistry class during the fall semester and I need this class to complete my degree and satisfy the pre-requisite classes for medical school. I know the F doesn't look good to medical schools, but I have my reasons for why this class did not end so well. I had planned to retake this class over the summer, but unfortunately, my school decided not to offer the class this summer. The only option I'm left with is to take this class online or take it at another campus. So far all the listed schools with transfer equivalencies to this class at my school are not being offered this summer either. The only time I have to take this class is during the summer since I plan to finish my degree in August. What should I do?

really sorry to hear that :/ have you tried looking into the UNECOM Biochem course online?

Reactions: 1 user
You will probably need to take the time to retake it, which seems like it may mean an extra semester in your case if you cannot find something suitable online. You don't want to apply with an F in biochem. That seems like something that would be a red flag of sorts. Be careful with reasons for not doing well as most reasons that people give for doing poorly in a class can be seen by adcoms as "making excuses", which is also something that seems to be frowned upon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine failed biochem and then retook it and got an A-. They got many acceptances.

Just retake and do better and take it on the chin.

Guys... OP knows he/she has to retake...
That's not the question... (I think only Alteredscale got the point).

OP's question isn't,
Should I retake?
It's how should I go about retaking it? (online, other campus, etc).

If you can't find a class over the summer or w/e, you can still apply and retake in Fall semester.

Just make sure it's equal in credits.

then im very envious!

It's not a complicated situation. Find the easiest method that will replace the grade.

really sorry to hear that :/ have you tried looking into the UNECOM Biochem course online?

Since it's for his major that's not a wise idea.

The OP needs to figure out why he did bad and retake and get an A.

Your logic is? It sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

My school for example won't accept transfers in your last 2 years. And certainly not extension courses.

He can try to get approval from his school or petition them to take it online but it may fail.

@serenade makes a valid point. I am sure it varies by school, but I checked my schools retake policy and it will not count for credit any retake from a two-year or online instituition. It would be a wise idea for the OP to check his/her school policy since this is a class he/she needs to graduate.

If the classes your university accept aren't offered this summer, and they don't accept UNECOM (you'll have to ask what they accept). It sound like you may be stuck not graduating until the fall.

Colorado State University online has a biochem course FYI...don't know if they offer over the summer but you can check.

I always personally advocate for retakes to be in this order:

your own school > neighboring state school > neighboring community college > online

obviously you have to do what you have to do, but I'd say take it on a campus somewhere by any means necessary. your school may also not accept an online course from elsewhere, so double check that too. good luck

Aside from your major I'm not actually sure on the DO front when/if schools will begin to require biochemistry. Isn't it the case there's only like one or two so far? I know this may change next cycle as it is necessary for the "new" MCAT.