Failed Class Before Applying to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J0206

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a Junior at my University and majoring in Biochemistry. I will be applying to Medical school this Spring and am working towards interventional cardiology.

I currently have a 3.92 GPA (only B's are in O chem lab and Cal 2).

However, I unfortunately bit more off than I could chew this semester and may fail Microbial Physiology and pull a B/C in immunology. However A's in both Biochem and Genetics. In addition to that, I have had some troubles with my current relationship and am kept busy trying to attend to my business ( paperwork with CPA, daily tasks, etc...) as well as conduct research...not to mention I dont really attend class either (mainly because I learn best by the book and find my self doing other things in class....this also has hurt my grade however since my professor does some in class activites...my fault I know.)

I'm worried because I don't want to be showing a bad trend to admissions when I apply, however all of my other semester GPA's have been 3.9>..after this semester I'm projecting my GPA to be about a 3.75 worst case scenario (get a D in microbial and get a C in Immunology).

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT in April and I know I need to score higher than a 522 or so to be competitive.

I'm looking to apply to MD/PhD programs, however would this bad semester prevent that from happening?

I'm currently on 2 full ride scholarships, have conducted research for the past 2 1/2 years, no publications, a few presentations/posters, interned at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research, as well as have conducted research at New Mexico Health Science Center in Albuquerque.

I know I can get good recommendation letters, and have shadowed a local interventional cardiologist. I've been fortunate enough to go into the cath lab to watch procedures, and learn about patient interaction as well through my shadowing. (about 50 hours of experience).

I Volunteer with my student organization and started a non-profit to raise money and distribute it to those in need across my city.

I'm interested to hear about what you guys think about my situation...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you are going through some tough times, both academically and personally. I would first suggest trying to fix whatever is causing this bump for you (you seem like a bright student), especially since this has created a lot of stress for you, because in the end, really our well-being is the most important thing we have.

Realistically speaking, you can only buckle down for the rest of the semester and do your best. You can't withdrawal now so the time you spend wondering about your chances, you're only decreasing those chances. You can go HAM on that studying until finals, and then try to assess how this will affect you in the future. I understand you are worried, but I am just trying to help you see what your options are at this point. Reach out to your support system and don't be afraid to ask for help.

I doubt that any one will come here and tell you your med school chances are over. Anything or any body that makes you feel that way is wrong. Think about the end goal. This is nothing in comparison to how much you want this dream, right? Best wishes to you. Keep us updated! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm currently a Junior at my University and majoring in Biochemistry. I will be applying to Medical school this Spring and am working towards interventional cardiology.

I currently have a 3.92 GPA (only B's are in O chem lab and Cal 2).

However, I unfortunately bit more off than I could chew this semester and may fail Microbial Physiology and pull a B/C in immunology. However A's in both Biochem and Genetics. In addition to that, I have had some troubles with my current relationship and am kept busy trying to attend to my business ( paperwork with CPA, daily tasks, etc...) as well as conduct research...not to mention I dont really attend class either (mainly because I learn best by the book and find my self doing other things in class....this also has hurt my grade however since my professor does some in class activites...my fault I know.)

I'm worried because I don't want to be showing a bad trend to admissions when I apply, however all of my other semester GPA's have been 3.9>..after this semester I'm projecting my GPA to be about a 3.75 worst case scenario (get a D in microbial and get a C in Immunology).

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT in April and I know I need to score higher than a 522 or so to be competitive.

I'm looking to apply to MD/PhD programs, however would this bad semester prevent that from happening?

I'm currently on 2 full ride scholarships, have conducted research for the past 2 1/2 years, no publications, a few presentations/posters, interned at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research, as well as have conducted research at New Mexico Health Science Center in Albuquerque.

I know I can get good recommendation letters, and have shadowed a local interventional cardiologist. I've been fortunate enough to go into the cath lab to watch procedures, and learn about patient interaction as well through my shadowing. (about 50 hours of experience).

I Volunteer with my student organization and started a non-profit to raise money and distribute it to those in need across my city.

I'm interested to hear about what you guys think about my situation...thanks!
A 522 MCAT is not going to remediate a poor semester like what you're going through. Very sad to hear of your woes, but you have several red flags from an Adcoms perspective:
Downward GPA trend in JR year
Poor choice making
Poor coping skills

You will need to ace everything from now on, and also do not try to bulldoze your way through when you're not at your best. Show Adcoms that this semester is a fluke.

You need to get anything C or lower changed to W