Failed Comlex 1st try, still PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed the comlex 1 on my first try. It is a speechless and horrible feeling.

I was very interested in PM&R. What programs will still consider me with this red flag, and what programs will not even look at my applicant?

Your help would be very appreciated at this time.

If PM&R doesn't work, what are my chances with Internal Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

I was very interested in PM&R. What programs will still consider me with this red flag, and what programs will not even look at my applicant?

I am sure you are stressed about your situation. This has happened to many medical students before. It is all about how you come out of this situation. You need to hit the books and pass Comlex 1 on your next try. Work hard and pass your complex 2 before you send in your PM&R application. In the meanwhile try to setup PM&R electives at programs where you want to eventually train. Work harder than any other med student and help out the residents and attendings. Show initiative and study a rehab related topic everyday during the electives. Also get involved with extra curricular activities like volunteering for the special olympics, marathons, sports clinics etc once you pass your comlex. I am sure you can come out of this situation stronger than before. I personally know a few of my colleagues who failed USMLE or COMLEX and ended up training at some of the top institutions.

Don't lose heart. Totally agree with prior post. Take complex 2 and knock it out. You also could take usmle 1 and 2 and do well on those to increase your stock.

I know of a resident in one of the perennial top 6 PMR programs that failed usmlestep 1 (had good reason). Passed and crushed step 2. I'm sure would be true of comlex as well.

PM&R also very DO friendly Speciality. In fact some of our best PM&R docs are DO trained.

Pm me if you have more specific questions. Just do great on PMR electives and rotations. You will be fine .

Don't loose hope. It's all about how you bounce back. Take a deep breath and acknowledge you failed an exam...now move on. Beef up the rest of ur app and crush the second step and work hard in rotations. Get good letters early and submit ur app early to a wide net of places. I can't stress how important it is to get ur app in early. Best of luck you'll do great just work hard and forget the past.