failed comlex 2!! what now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basiligaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes I did the unthinkable--i failed comlex 2 by two pts; my score is on the website after only 3 wks so maybe there is a mistake but that isunlikely anyway.........i've gotten some path interviews and i want to know how this unforseeable and disturbing turn of events will affect me matching
i'm not sure when the programs will get my score
but will they cancel my interview when they see i failed or will it just ruin my application or will it really not matter??????

Members don't see this ad.

Breathe.

When you say "on the website" do you mean you checked "automatic transmission" on ERAS?

If "Yes":
You already have some interviews - they can't take those back. I know it's difficult, but just make sure that when you go for the interview, you are prepared to answer any questions about it (e.g. cite your clinical rotation evaluations to date - they must have been at least passable, or you presumably wouldn't have been offered the interviews), and say that your plan is to study for it and retake it at whatever appropriate date in the near future.

If it's "No" you wisely didn't check automatic transmission of results, then shut up about it, take it and pass it as soon as possible. Interview well, and with a bit of luck you're game, set, Match! :thumbup:

basiligaw said:
yes I did the unthinkable...
but will they cancel my interview when they see i failed or will it just ruin my application or will it really not matter??????
Relax!
hope the interviews don't suffer because of that..
And better luck next time!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
well after looking it up on eras , in order for the programs to get my updated transcript i'd have to re-release. But do some pgms require the score in order to rank you?

deschutes said:
Breathe.

When you say "on the website" do you mean you checked "automatic transmission" on ERAS?

If "Yes":
You already have some interviews - they can't take those back. I know it's difficult, but just make sure that when you go for the interview, you are prepared to answer any questions about it (e.g. cite your clinical rotation evaluations to date - they must have been at least passable, or you presumably wouldn't have been offered the interviews), and say that your plan is to study for it and retake it at whatever appropriate date in the near future.

If it's "No" you wisely didn't check automatic transmission of results, then shut up about it, take it and pass it as soon as possible. Interview well, and with a bit of luck you're game, set, Match! :thumbup:

"Some" programs might. The issue is - applicants don't know which ones.

I'm projecting from USMLE Step 2, but most places say just pass it before graduation/starting residency. Usually if they want it for ranking they would not hide it (I seem to remember the NH programs doing this, because of some statewide licensing thing) - maybe you could phone and ask?

basiligaw said:
yes I did the unthinkable--i failed comlex 2 by two pts; my score is on the website after only 3 wks so maybe there is a mistake but that isunlikely anyway.........i've gotten some path interviews and i want to know how this unforseeable and disturbing turn of events will affect me matching
i'm not sure when the programs will get my score

The bad news: you failed part 2.

The good news: you are applying to path programs.

Path really isn't super-competitive, so most programs won't hold it too much against you that you failed a board exam. Some might, but most won't.

Your next move is obvious. Interview well and put the study time in to pass (and do well in) the test the next time you take it.

pathdawg said:
The bad news: you failed part 2.

The good news: you are applying to path programs.

Path really isn't super-competitive, so most programs won't hold it too much against you that you failed a board exam. Some might, but most won't.

Your next move is obvious. Interview well and put the study time in to pass (and do well in) the test the next time you take it.

Not to pile on your plight, but I disagree with the above poster.
1) Any path program in a state that requires licensing during residency will be afraid that you may stuggle with the next step as well, causing a delay in licensing and having them be short a resident. (I know this happening firsthand to a program and they're subsequent reluctance to accept certain types of applicants)
2) Programs measure themselves by their path board pass rate. Failing a step is a red flag that you may fail the path boards as well.

I am not saying that any of this applies to you (It most likely doesn't). I'm sure that it was a combination of bad luck and bad preparation. However, I know that not all programs will see it that way.

sohsie said:
Not to pile on your plight, but I disagree with the above poster.
1) Any path program in a state that requires licensing during residency will be afraid that you may stuggle with the next step as well, causing a delay in licensing and having them be short a resident. (I know this happening firsthand to a program and they're subsequent reluctance to accept certain types of applicants)
2) Programs measure themselves by their path board pass rate. Failing a step is a red flag that you may fail the path boards as well.

I am not saying that any of this applies to you (It most likely doesn't). I'm sure that it was a combination of bad luck and bad preparation. However, I know that not all programs will see it that way.

I don't entirely disagree. An elite path program probably would have an issue with it. My point is that if this person was applying to derm residencies, it would pretty much be game over. He or she will certainly find a path residency spot, no doubt about it.
As to you point of poor preparation, you're exactly right. My advice (speaking as someone who has taken a ton of board exams and is AP/CP and subspecialty board certified), is to take is failure as a lesson. If you don't put in the time necessary to pass, you will fail (and it doesn't matter where you went to school or where you trained). That is the reality. There are no short cuts. Roll up your sleeves and put in the time, and promise yourself that you won't allow this to happen again.
That is how I see it. Don't cry over spilled milk.

As a fellow DO, my best advice is that you don't mention anything unless asked. Depending on what programs you are applying to, as a DO, you tend to be at a disadvantage anyway (despite what you may hear), so adding fuel to the fire is not recommended. Unless you indicated an automatic release of the scores to ERAS, the programs won't know you failed. On the other hand, some states (i.e. New Hampshire) require that Step 2 be passed by Feb 1, 2006 so a program like Dartmouth will definitely ask about your scores. I took both USMLE and COMLEX Step 2 and chose to not release my scores to ERAS. I was asked maybe by two of my interviewing programs about my scores (including Dartmouth), so most programs that decide to interview you want to know YOU, not your scores, so don't focus on this at all. I know it stinks that you have to deal with this, but the most important thing is to match and use your interview time to point out the positive things about your application. Most of the time, they focus on the DO thing, and don't worry so much about boards. You did not mention if you took USMLE Step 2, but if you did and passed, then you can say you passed and most programs are more familiar with USMLE, so COMLEX is just a DO formality.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I can definitely offer the DO perspective. Good luck with interviews in the meantime.