Medical Failed COMLEX Level 1. What do you I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received my COMLEX Level 1 score and I failed (390). I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment and I feel like my school doesn't have good support staff to give me advice. I think it would be in my best interest to do a prep course before retaking the exam. Do you recommend any prep courses for people in my situation? Alternatively, do you have any suggestions on how I can adequately prepare to retake the exam? For background here's how I prepared:

1: Goljan audio
2: Sketchy micro
3: First Aid for weak topics
4. Truelearn 1800 questions
5. Comquest 2132 questions
6. Kaplan 1250 questions
7. Pathoma
8. Boards & Beyond

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day!

I'm sorry that you're going through this. It is a lot to take in, but people have failed before and have retaken it and passed who are now doctors, other who are applying to residency now with numerous interviews lined up, and I'm sure other students in your class year who will also move on and become successful. I know it's easier said than done, but try to keep your head up and push forward.

There is a chance you could have spread yourself too thin with that many resources.

Did you use UWorld at all? If not, is there a reason for that? They have great explanations to the questions.

It looks like you did a lot of questions, but did you review the questions and come back to them? Did you repeat any questions, or did you move on to new questions/new banks? What did you do to review if you did?

This is anecdotal, but I have seen a handful of people who have used boards boot camp and have had significant increases in their scores (increases of between 50 and 150 points, when used correctly. It's a board prep course designed for COMLEX in particular. I did not use it myself, though, so I'm not speaking first-hand.

I know you say you dont feel your school has the support, but did you reach out to them yet if they haven't already reached out to you? Regardless of feelings towards the support of the school, it's still in your best interest to communicate with them and see what they are suggesting and/or requiring of you.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I did use Uworld and I reviewed most (not all) of the explanations. I think this could have been one factor in my failing score. Also, I have reached out to my school regarding my COMLEX failure and they concluded I may just have test anxiety, but did not really help me figure out a plan to retake the exam or how to better prepare. Their recommendation was for me to take another COMSAE to see how well I would score. So I took A101 (after a month of studying nothing at all) and got a 418. I want to do better and I really want to be better prepared, but I have no clue what I'm doing and I kinda feel like I'm free-falling at this point. I'll definitely look into the Boards Boot Camp you mentioned and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.