Failed COMLEX Level 2 - Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serendipity16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed level 2 with a score in the 380s...I felt okay, not terrible walking out the exam, so shocked to say the least. Here's how I prepared

Nearly 5,000 qbank questions between COMBANK, Comquest, Uworld - made handwritten
notes of all questions and reviewed them all several times. I study all questions answers, tutor mode.
Read all of STUTM for IM shelf exam earlier in the year
MTB2 and MTB3 for hardcore level 2 studying
Kaplan HY Videos for 6 weeks up to exam
Did not complete comsae

So...I'm planning to retake in November, a little over 2 months from now, any advice on what to do differently?

1. I'm going to do either COMBANK or Comquest again at least twice, any suggestions on which? I don't want to do Uworld, since at this point I need more focus on COMLEX type questions.

I liked comquest better, but combank has a more robust breakdown with emergency medicine, family med, etc - thoughts?

2. Should I do DIT? Never used it before, but seems like it was helpful to many

3. Or, should I just stick with the materials I used before? MTB2 and 3, review the 200 pages of qbank notes I've made and focus on doing more questions in either combank or comquest? I'm thinking of also adding onlinemeded for weaker areas

My NBOME score report was not helpful since my performance bars spanned between all 3 levels from Lower to Higher Performance....
Except OMM, Peds, and OBGYN which were only borderline to Higher Performance

I'm only taking COMLEX and my goals at this point are to PASS the next time, so I can at least hopefully scramble into a residency spot if I unfortunately should not match...since I have already completed interviews and have some lined up...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Possible ideas:
1. Take the COMSAES in test-like environment. Scribble down topics touched on in order to do a fast review after each. Save the score reports and look at trends involved.
2. For the 2-3 weeks leading up to the COMLEX exam do 200Q sets of 50Q blocks to build stamina--And pay attention to how your performance drops in each subsequent set.
3. Keep your chin up, cut out the "stud-oriented" review resources, and focus on topics highly tested on the exam. The preparation and resources for a 600+ score goal are very different from a PASS goal.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your great suggestions! I feel that the high yield areas include obgyn, peds, omm, and gi...are there any others that you would consider as HY? I know my exam had lots of ophthalmology as well :/

Possible ideas:
1. Take the COMSAES in test-like environment. Scribble down topics touched on in order to do a fast review after each. Save the score reports and look at trends involved.
2. For the 2-3 weeks leading up to the COMLEX exam do 200Q sets of 50Q blocks to build stamina--And pay attention to how your performance drops in each subsequent set.
3. Keep your chin up, cut out the "stud-oriented" review resources, and focus on topics highly tested on the exam. The preparation and resources for a 600+ score goal are very different from a PASS goal.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to take COMSAEs for sure so you can get used to more COMLEX style questions and maybe review your weak areas...did you use Step Up to Step 2? I know that's the book DIT follows.

It's good you already had a few interviews, and as long as you pass, I don't think you should have a problem matching or scrambling...I hate how one test defines our residency fate for many programs...:/

What? BOMB THE AOA BUILDING? BUT WHY?

I'm sorry this happened to you. Best of luck with your next attempt

I need a tutor for OMM/ OMT written questions for further clarifications. Please email me: [email protected]

I'm a first year DO student.

Thanks

She literally spammed like every thread lol.

Reactions: 1 user