Failed COMLEX Level I twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I failed COMLEX level 1 twice today and wanted to ask for advice on how to study and pass it if I take it a 3rd time and I didn't know if I should even continue medical school because I've heard several residency programs including FM and psych do not accept students that failed COMLEX multiple times. For example, the hospital I was doing rotations told me I couldn't even continue 3rd year rotations there because I didn't pass on my first attempt and my school was going to find another core site for me.

I used First Aid and COMBANK the first time and then the second time I bought the Boards Boot Camp Ultra program but was not able to finish all the videos, books and questions they had, but I finished reading most of the books and re-doing all the 2400 COMBANK questions twice which I find are very similar to COMLEX. I'm tired, frustrated and depressed about the whole situation but I can only blame myself as I did not do well first 2 years and I'm not the best test taker but I know residency program directors won't care. I never knew these exams would be this tough to pass because I did pass all my classes first 2 years but got mostly C's and B's.

I know millions have gone through med school and I'm sure hundreds of people have failed multiple times so I ask you all for advice and insight. Since you have gone through this struggle and overcame the battle, I thought you could help. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

At this point I think all you can do is to retake it until you pass and then find a IM/FM/Psych program that mostly take IMG... Maybe you should take a prep course...

At this point I think all you can do is to retake it until you pass and then find a IM/FM/Psych program that mostly take IMG... Maybe you should take a prep course...

So FM/Psych programs will still take students that failed twice?

Members don't see this ad :)
So FM/Psych programs will still take students that failed twice?
I remembered seeing a thread in the osteo forum about a DO student that was dismissed after failing step1 I think (not sure about that) and got reinstated, he/she is doing an FM residency now...

You probably have a 100k+ student loan already, so I am not sure you have many other choices... If you still want to be a physician, you should keep going IMO and worry about the match when it's time to worry about it... you should concentrate in passing step1 now...

Hello, I failed COMLEX level 1 twice today and wanted to ask for advice on how to study and pass it if I take it a 3rd time and I didn't know if I should even continue medical school because I've heard several residency programs including FM and psych do not accept students that failed COMLEX multiple times. For example, the hospital I was doing rotations told me I couldn't even continue 3rd year rotations there because I didn't pass on my first attempt and my school was going to find another core site for me.

I used First Aid and COMBANK the first time and then the second time I bought the Boards Boot Camp Ultra program but was not able to finish all the videos, books and questions they had, but I finished reading most of the books and re-doing all the 2400 COMBANK questions twice which I find are very similar to COMLEX. I'm tired, frustrated and depressed about the whole situation but I can only blame myself as I did not do well first 2 years and I'm not the best test taker but I know residency program directors won't care. I never knew these exams would be this tough to pass because I did pass all my classes first 2 years but got mostly C's and B's.

I know millions have gone through med school and I'm sure hundreds of people have failed multiple times so I ask you all for advice and insight. Since you have gone through this struggle and overcame the battle, I thought you could help. Thanks in advance.
If you decide to continue with school, I would get usmle world and do all of it. It will help you more than any of that other crap. I'm sorry this is happening to you. But I'm sure even if you don't match, there are always programs that go unmatched. Last year there were 361 unmatched FM spots and 170 IM and 325 TRIs. I'm sure you could get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
...another thing...videos are not very high yield IMO. Use videos during the times when you are so sick of doing questions that you're about to vomit.

Thank you for both your replies. I'm looking into Boards Boot Camp Ultra or Northwestern Medical Review or private tutoring and I just wanted to make sure that there was a possibility of getting a residency since I don't want to continue studying and passing on my 3rd attempt and doing rotations and all that to end up with no residency.

Last edited:
Thank you for both your replies. I'm looking into Boards Boot Camp Ultra or Northwestern Medical Review and I just wanted to make sure that there was a possibility of getting a residency since I don't want to continue studying and passing on my 3rd attempt and doing rotations and all that to end up with no residency.
There is a possibility since you are a US grad, but it might be in primary care...

There is a possibility since you are a US grad, but it might be in primary care...

That is what I don't understand. Since there are hundreds of unfilled spots...If I don't match, can't I scramble into those programs? What happens to those spots? The residency programs lose funding and the programs are just removed?

That is what I don't understand. Since there are hundreds of unfilled spots...If I don't match, can't I scramble into those programs? What happens to those spots? The residency programs lose funding and the programs are just removed?
They lose funding for these spots IMO... Some of these spots are probably in rural OK, SD, ND etc... where most US students don't want to go...

They lose funding for these spots IMO... Some of these spots are probably in rural OK, SD, ND etc... where most US students don't want to go...

Yeah, but I don't mind going to a rural residency program for 3 years as long as I can move after my training since I went to a rural osteopathic medical school and have lived in a rural location for 2 years. Thanks for your feedback!

Anyone else with any more insight?

Yeah, but I don't mind going to a rural residency program for 3 years as long as I can move after my training since I went to a rural osteopathic medical school and have lived in a rural location for 2 years. Thanks for your feedback!

Anyone else with any more insight?

Im sorry for your difficult and I hope you do well this time. Would you mind sharing your pre-med stats with us? B's and C's for med school grades dont seem to be that bad. I have a friend in med school who says even ppl with B's and C's pass the boards which is why im jc what your MCAT and undergrad gpas were. Thanks

Im sorry for your difficult and I hope you do well this time. Would you mind sharing your pre-med stats with us? B's and C's for med school grades dont seem to be that bad. I have a friend in med school who says even ppl with B's and C's pass the boards which is why im jc what your MCAT and undergrad gpas were. Thanks

Well I got mostly C's, handful of B's, and medical school is nothing like undergrad and COMLEX is nothing like MCAT. But FYI I got 25 on MCAT and in college I got mostly As with a 3.7 GPA and 3.5 science GPA. Medical school is a completely different beast and undergrad was a piece of cake for me as a bio major and Chem minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other specific advice about where to get tutors? Or Northwestern Medical Review or Boards Boot Camp Ultra?
i never heard anything about those review programs. if i was in your shoes i would trash that boards boot camp and the other thing and just do uworld.

i never heard anything about those review programs. if i was in your shoes i would trash that boards boot camp and the other thing and just do uworld.

I feel like I do not have the content foundation to do UWorld and my school insists I use COMBANK and COMQUEST as those questions are better reflective of the COMLEX.

You don't need to already know everything to do uworld, it will give you all the content in the "explanation section" just make sure you read all of it and learn it. And then when you're done with it, go through 25-50% of combank/quest to get familiar with the style of questions and you'll be set. Make sure to do micro/pharm/omm parts of combank/quest.
This is my advice, it up to you if you want to take it or not.

You don't need to already know everything to do uworld, it will give you all the content in the "explanation section" just make sure you read all of it and learn it. And then when you're done with it, go through 25-50% of combank/quest to get familiar with the style of questions and you'll be set. Make sure to do micro/pharm/omm parts of combank/quest.
This is my advice, it up to you if you want to take it or not.

I will definetly take your advice to heart as I study and hopefully pass this time.

I have 5-6 weeks to get through UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma (maybe), COMQUEST and OMT Review...wish me luck...I'll need it:/

Last edited:
Does anyone know what % should I be getting in COMQUEST or score on COMSAE to ensure a pass next time?

I would suggest using Uworld now and understand all the explanations for both correct and incorrect answers. About a week before your COMLEX, go through Comquest to get a feel for the question style. If you can get 500+ on your COMSAE, I think you should have a decent shot at passing.

I forgot to mention I am using UWorld but more as a learning tool and since my last 2 COMSAE scores were 365 and 375 (few months ago) looks like I'm in trouble:/

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I am using UWorld but more as a learning tool and since my last 2 COMSAE scores were 365 and 375 (few months ago) looks like I'm in trouble:/

Well, those are the scores from a few months ago, and unfortunately, corresponded to your actual exam scores. Your score now may be better. I think what you really need to figure out is the real reason why you're not performing well. Do you have trouble with retention of information, application of information to the problem, test anxiety, or something else?

Retention of info is my problem I think plus my foundation wasn't great to begin with and I only used COMBANK and First Aid last 2 times...

I have 5-6 weeks to get through UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma (maybe), COMQUEST and OMT Review...wish me luck...I'll need it:/

I will definetly take your advice to heart as I study and hopefully pass this time.

You will pass. You will pass or your career is done and all there will be for you is godforsaken debt.

since the AOA Match just happened...anyone had a similar situation and then went on to match? I could use some hope these days:/

Update: So I took COMSAE Form B and C a few months ago and got 365 and 375, then I had taken my test and ended up failing below 400 very similar to COMSAE scores.

Today, I took COMSAE Form A and got 430 and I'm scheduled to take it next week. So would you recommend postponing it another month? According to NBOME score report, 350-450 is borderline performance while less than 350 is poor performance and greater than 450 is acceptable. Obviously, I cannot afford to fail 3 times so I think I'm just going to postpone and not take it until I get like 450 or greater on a COMSAE.

Does anyone have any advice or share insight if you have gone through a similar problem?

Last edited:
Despite the fact that the COMSAEs are crappy predictors, what were your weak areas on them? At the very least you need to capitalize on OMM and Micro. If you still have time to spare, I seriously wouldn't take the exam unless you're scoring extremely well with those subjects because those are easy points that you absolutely can't afford to miss.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I PASSED AND DID WELL!!!! Thanks to people on here for the support:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users