Failed Comlex PE...am I really in deep trouble for the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McDablo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi and thank you in advance for the help. So much to my dismay, I failed my Comlex PE. I did prepare for it, watched the Combank PE videos, went through the Comlex PE book and cases, and practiced. So basically, assuming I pass the second time, how much does this set me back in the match? I'm an average medical student with a slightly above average Level 1 score. I am trying to match IM or FM but am now very concerned about my prospects of landing a good residency. Any input from anyone on who screwed I am would be very appreciated as I honestly have no idea how much this will set me back. I would imagine quite a bit.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about the news @McDablo. It will probably knock you out of the running for certain programs but I'm thinking not most. There are programs that have a no-fail policy for any of the board exams. Just be sure to look into each program individually and see specifics. When it comes time, apply early and broadly.

That said, THE most important piece of this puzzle is figuring out what you need to improve on in order to pass. In terms of practicing, you just need to keep practicing while on rotations. Mix in some practice with a study partner (someone who can be brutally honest) and see where you're at.

When do you plan on taking it again? Not that you should rush to taking the PE again, but if you can have a Pass in the bank come interview season, you will be much better off than without. TAKE HOME: you're not royally screwed. Yes, you've probably lost a few programs but not many. The good news is the chances of you passing on 2nd try are VERY good!

Best of luck McDablo.