Failed COMLEX PE (DO version of CS) during app season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyOneZlatan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received my result from the COMLEX Level 2 PE and I failed. I have NOT released my COMLEX scores to ERAS and never planned to because I was told they aren't needed, regardless if you did well.

Do I just need to make sure I pass my retake? Will programs need a PE "Pass" in order to rank me? Do I need it to match?

Members don't see this ad.

Just received my result from the COMLEX Level 2 PE and I failed. I have NOT released my COMLEX scores to ERAS and never planned to because I was told they aren't needed, regardless if you did well.

Do I just need to make sure I pass my retake? Will programs need a PE "Pass" in order to rank me? Do I need it to match?

Correct. Do not release your COMLEX scores now. I'm assuming you are applying MD and took the Steps if you never released your COMLEX scores.

Yes. Make sure you pass your re-take.

Unless you take and pass Step 2 CS as well, they will need to see that you passed COMLEX Level 2 PE. Your school will likely require you to take and pass COMLEX PE to graduate.

Most places require Step 2 scores to be in to be considered for ranking. I'm sure there are some that don't. However, you will need to, at bare minimum, pass Level 2 PE prior to graduating from medical school.

Correct. Do not release your COMLEX scores now. I'm assuming you are applying MD and took the Steps if you never released your COMLEX scores.

Yes. Make sure you pass your re-take.

Unless you take and pass Step 2 CS as well, they will need to see that you passed COMLEX Level 2 PE. Your school will likely require you to take and pass COMLEX PE to graduate.

Most places require Step 2 scores to be in to be considered for ranking. I'm sure there are some that don't. However, you will need to, at bare minimum, pass Level 2 PE prior to graduating from medical school.

Thanks. I assumed programs will not need any of my COMLEX scores to rank

I agree you shouldn't release it. You're in a somewhat unique situation. Usually the story is that you've released your USMLE/COMLEX scores, then get a new failing score back, and the question is whether to re-release or not. It would be very likely that some of the programs you've applied to will contact you at the end of the season before ranking, and ask you to re-release if you have any new scores available. That leaves you in a tough spot, because if you re-release, the scores go to everyone. In this case, programs interviewed you without your COMLEX scores, so if they ask for any new scores, all you owe them is any new USMLE scores.