COMLEX Failed COMLEX Step 2 PE: 4th year need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microshar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I failed the humanistic portion of COMLEX 2 PE. This comes as an absolute shock to me since I did great on the the interpersonal skills of every OSCE my school offered during years 2-3. I did the PE videos by Dr. Kauffman and did about 20-25 cases in the COMLEX PE book. But at any rate, I guess I will have to do more on that end.

I did quite poorly on COMLEX Level 1 486. I took a month to study for that. I did not take USMLE 1 and I was going to take USMLE Step 2 after finishing uworld at the end of this month, but I got the shock of my life when I saw COMLEX PE results and don't know whether I should proceed with that yet. I'm also waiting for my COMLEX level 2 results (which I'm not sure will be too great considering how many times I had to leave the exam to use the restroom).

I want to do Psych or Neurology. I also was considering applying to IM as a back up. I did one AOA Neuro audition rotation and I have 1 ACGME Psych audition. I have not touched any part of ERAS yet, I was just adding bits and pieces to my personal statement but aside from that I have nothing.

I'm also the bottom half of my class and did mainly pass and honor's in 3rd year. Right now, I feel so crappy about life and everything in general, that I don't know if I should even waste my money applying to any program right now? Should I just wait and see what my COMLEX level 2 score is on monday? If it is low, I was planning on taking USMLE Step 2CK, and perhaps submitting an application by end of Sept-mid oct?

My psych audition is next month so I probably won't have a ton of time left to study for step 2ck. Then I was planning on taking COMLEX 2PE at the end of October. Things just really aren't very clear to me as to which way I should be going.

A part of me is so fed up and disappointed in myself, that I am just contemplating taking a leave of absence and graduating 1 year late so I can study for USMLE step 1and 2 again and improve my shot at a residency I was wondering, will residency programs AOA &ACGME see my COMLEX 2PE fail even if I pass it later on?

I don't know if I should talk to someone at my school about this, because I have done great on OSCE's and passed all of them. I was already a weak candidate with a low COMLEX 1 so I want to know how much damage this COMLEX 2 PE fail will do to me even if I pass it later on?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

AOA applications opened up in July, why haven't you applied yet? I'd get your application in asap.

As far as failing the PE, it happens. I'd sign up for a retake asap. My understanding is that programs want to see that you've passed by the time rank lists are due.

I really don't think there is a reason for anyone to not apply to programs unless they haven't passed COMLEX 1. You never know what programs might give you a chance at an interview until you apply. The earlier you get applications in the better, so I'm not sure why you would wait for your COMLEX 2 scores on Monday. You can submit just your COMLEX 1 scores and then update when your new scores come in. If you didn't do well on COMLEX, then I'd assess if you'll do well on the USMLE and make sure you do UWorld and a practice exam before considering the USMLE.

My board scores aren't the best and between aoa and acgme programs I'm applying to about 75. Only time will tell if/when I get interviews. Good luck!

AOA applications opened up in July, why haven't you applied yet? I'd get your application in asap.

As far as failing the PE, it happens. I'd sign up for a retake asap. My understanding is that programs want to see that you've passed by the time rank lists are due.

I really don't think there is a reason for anyone to not apply to programs unless they haven't passed COMLEX 1. You never know what programs might give you a chance at an interview until you apply. The earlier you get applications in the better, so I'm not sure why you would wait for your COMLEX 2 scores on Monday. You can submit just your COMLEX 1 scores and then update when your new scores come in. If you didn't do well on COMLEX, then I'd assess if you'll do well on the USMLE and make sure you do UWorld and a practice exam before considering the USMLE.

My board scores aren't the best and between aoa and acgme programs I'm applying to about 75. Only time will tell if/when I get interviews. Good luck!

Thanks. The reason i did not apply was because I wanted to get a much higher COMLEX 2 and have it on my application. I was also mostly interested in ACGME positions. I know that for AOA programs, usually for the good programs, you must do an audition there to be considered.

If I apply to programs now, will they see my COMLEX 2 PE fail? Or will they just see that I'm scheduled to retake?

Also, should mention that I waited on the app process because I really wanted to study the hell out for my COMLEX 2CE and our school only gave us 1 month. I know in hindsight not a good idea but I thought it might have been alright to do since I know peak interview time was in lnov/early dec.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. The reason i did not apply was because I wanted to get a much higher COMLEX 2 and have it on my application. I was also mostly interested in ACGME positions. I know that for AOA programs, usually for the good programs, you must do an audition there to be considered.

If I apply to programs now, will they see my COMLEX 2 PE fail? Or will they just see that I'm scheduled to retake?
As far as I know, the COMLEX transcripts include level 1, 2 and PE. I don't think you can decide to just send in certain results/scores. So yes, your fail will be on your transcript. I don't think scheduled exams are on your transcript based on if you go to the transcript tab on your nbome account.

Thanks. So I guess I'm really screwed then. One, they'll see someone with a low COMLEX1, then they'll see someone with a COMLEX 2 PE fail (when 95% is the passing rate) and probably see it as a huge negative to doing notes in intern year, and COMLEX 2CE which I don't think went great, but I'm praying that I at least did better than my COMLEX1 and definitely passed.

So moving forward, I guess the best thing for me to do would be to ditch the USMLE Step 2 CK plan and just submit ASAP. Then if I don't get interviews in a timely fashion, probably contact the programs individually and let them know of my intent to take COMLEX2PE and inform them with results ASAP (won't get back till early Dec).

I just feel like I have too many negatives unnecessarily. Is seeing a failed COMLEX PE without retake result, grounds for not even giving someone an interview?

I guess I'm just getting carried away here, but I certainly hope I haven't screwed up everything as I never intentionally meant to.