Failed Comlex. What now with my private loans (Salle May)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an international student studying in US med school. Just finished 2nd year, but failed comlex and that means I'll skip my rotations until I pass comlex - so my 3rd year schedule is completely changed now. My school says I may have to graduate a year later?! Not sure if I'll be allowed to continue rotations after I pass my comlex or I have to wait until next July, 2019 to start?

I have private loans taken with Salle Mae. There was no other option for me to pay for education since I'm not US citizen or green card holder. My loans are divided in 4 installments per each year and Salle Mae transfers them to my school going by their schedule. Now I'm afraid that failed comlex and missed rotations will disrupt the whole schedule and I may be denied further loans. The thing is that getting loan in the first place was very difficult. It's not like easy process for US students. I had to present them a lot of documents and I did a lot of work to convince them to allow me to get funded. I found a cosigner, but even then it was 50/50 - Salle May took 3 weeks to decide. I was given loan n the end - almost a miracle. So finished 2 years as a below average student, but I always felt that pace is too fast, I'm 38 and my retention isn't as great as my 25yo classmates have. Also, my school has very short dedicated time - exactly what I needed. I feel like even 2 more weeks of dedicated would have been enough to pass. But it is how it is.

If any international student with private loans that had to delay their study schedule can share their experience - I would appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer your question, but you might want to get some professional legal advice. You are correct that whomever is loaning you money might pull the plug, concerned that you're a bad risk going forward. If that happens, your cosigner is fully responsible for the loans you have when you are unable to pay them. It's a very delicate conversation to convince your funding source to continue to pay in the hopes that you'll ultimately finish school, match, and be able to pay back your loans.

Reactions: 1 user