Failed EPPP, not what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in an awkward position on my psychology career path. I graduated with a PsyD in 2007 and recently completed my post-doc hours. All my paperwork for licensure is set; however, I did not pass the EPPP by 15 points and now I am uncertain where I go from here. Does anyone know what positions are available for someone with a doctorate without a license? I am planning on trying again in the Fall and am unable to take it again any sooner due to life circumstances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well as how did you pass the EPPP? I used Academic Review and Psych Prep materials plus purchased Psych Prep's on-line quizzes and exams.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to hear that. That sucks a lot...my advisor graduated with a PsyD and she said she invested a thousand to a couple of thousand dollars with Kaplan in order to prepare for the Licensure exam (I'm pretty sure it was Kaplan at least). She stated it was totally worth it. That's all I can tell you because I'm only an undergraduate.

15 points is nothing. It could actually be as few as 2-5 questions depending on how the exam version you were administered was scaled. If I were in your position, I would do whatever I could to re-take the EPPP as soon as possible. The information is still fresh in your mind and waiting till fall is quite a ways off. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do without a license, hence the 'postdoc trap' too many grads find themselves encountering. I don't know what "life circumstances" to which you are referring, but I would make passing the EPPP as much of a priority as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't understand how you cannot take it again ASAP.

most states allow someone to take it pretty fast after they receive/accept your application.

If it is money: put anything you need to pass on credit cards. Take time off from work, pay everything on credit, sit all day in the library reading obsessively, act like passing this thing is your 9-5 job and put forht the commitment to study like it is. tkaing a full time break from a job to do this sounds scary, until you realize that getting a license DOUBLES your income. putting money into passing the EPPP is easily one of the best investments you can make.

If it is having a child: i would think it is an easy sell to a partner/friend/relative to ask for 3 hrs a day of study time so that you can at least double your current income.

If your state has some weird BS thing where they will not let you take it again for a set period of time: why not apply to one of the states without residency requirement (e.g., kansas) and fly up/down there, take the EPPP and then have the scores sent to your home state?

As for preparation, I would take the workshop course from one of the commercial places, as they will allow you to retake the course if you fail the EPPP. Study 5-6 hrs a day with flashcards. read each of those books from front to back 8 times a piece, take at least two practice testes per day. pretty much whatever it takes.

as for jobs: if your current post doc will not continue to keep you, then you should probably look for another post doc. or see if you can get an LPC or equivalent.

Quit with the online quizzes and stuff. Do every sample test, and review every answer....remember the answers. This is not a test of what you have learned, but what they want you to say...it is all in the tests.

Reactions: 1 user