Failed first Chemistry test.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RdRaider

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a Chemistry test a few days ago and I completely fell on my face with it.

I got anywhere from a 35-50 comparing my test with other peoples test. What actions should I take? The final day to drop the class would be October 18th, but the teacher said that if we do 90%+ of the homework he would pass us with a "C".

We have three tests in the class than and a lot of homework.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same predicament as you except I'm in Physics. I'm considering dropping too. The homework is online and is alot...but it's reasonable. I just can't seem to juggle it with my other classes though. If your next test is before the deadline then wait until that test and see if you do well before you decide.

Don't drop out at the first sign of a "failed test." I took genchem in my first quarter of college and I completely failed my first test. If this is your first time in school period, it's going to be an adjustment from high school to college. Instead, change your study habits, study earlier than just the night before, find out what will make you understand the material (practice problems etc), get help from friends, or go to office hours. I know it gets hard but sometimes the only way out is through the class....

Members don't see this ad :)
ride it out until the 18th. Hopefully you do well on your next exam and do ALL of the homework.

Good Luck!

ride it out until the 18th. Hopefully you do well on your next exam and do ALL of the homework.

Good Luck!

Would taking a C in the course and doing well in the others be alright in the long run?

i failed all of my chem 1 tests, but pulled an A in the class. No one was doing the online homework so he decided with a week to go he would count it as a bigger part of the grade.

Unfortunately when i got to chem 2 i was completely lost....

Hey guys, I had a Chemistry test a few days ago and I completely fell on my face with it.

Hey, so did I! It is very discouraging, I know. I thought about dropping, but I think I'm just going to try to study much harder; its just hard to commit all of my time to chemistry when I have 5 other classes. The classwork is all online, with the labs and tests at the college. So we have to pretty much teach ourselves. I don't think I'll take anymore chemistry online though.

I got anywhere from a 35-50 comparing my test with other peoples test. What actions should I take? The final day to drop the class would be October 18th, but the teacher said that if we do 90%+ of the homework he would pass us with a "C".

Are you taking General Chemistry 1 with lab and are you in your first year in college/university?

My advisor told me back in june that it would be better for me to take introduction to chemistry class first before taking the first general chemistry with lab. I can tell you right now that class made my life a lot easier. I did all the homework and got perfect score even on the first quiz. I studied for the first exam but then I was getting bored with the class because I thought it was too easy. So, I was speed reading (bad habit) in the test and didn't even check my work because I was so damn nervous and ran out of time. So, I had a 151/200. I just realized that it was my fault and that I should have checked my work. But guess what? The most important part is that I learned my lesson and from now on, I will be more extra careful with my work. The best part was that my failure was in a preparation class not the chemistry 1 class, so I will be expecting the worst.

Last edited:
Get a tutor. Your grades won't improve overnight, a tutor will help you get on the right track.

Hi im a freshman doing premed and i just got a C on my first midterm for intro to chem and I got a D on my Precalc midterm. I dont know if I should change majors since I do not want to graduate with a BIology and not get into medical school. Maybe this is a sign for me to change majors. Help?

Hi im a freshman doing premed and i just got a C on my first midterm for intro to chem and I got a D on my Precalc midterm. I dont know if I should change majors since I do not want to graduate with a BIology and not get into medical school. Maybe this is a sign for me to change majors. Help?

The question is, would you be happy in the medical field when you get out of college? Is it going to be something you will love to do? if neither of this apply, then I would suggest you to look for some other degree that you would love to do after you finish with school.

But, if you do love or dream about being a pharmacist or somewhere in the medical field, then you should not give up and get better study habits or a tutor or maybe you need to participate in class more. I could go on for hours for what you need but it always come down to this:

are you going to be happy with this degree?

anyways, good luck in finding the answer.:luck:

Last edited:

Life isn't easy, nothing that PAYS WELL, or COMFORTABLE or RESPECTABLE comes easy. Either you adapt to face your challenges, or you will FAIL. Everyone can get straight A's, but not everyone is willing to put in the time to get it. Hense, why not everyone will become doctors, dentists, and pharmacists. You want something you are going to have to earn it.

People have different study methods, you need to find what works for you. MIne is simple, I study every day after class, until I GET IT. That way when test time comes, I won't be cramming.

Reactions: 1 user

I know how you feel; I just got a 14/25 on my first chem exam last week..and I was pretty darn bummed. Esp when I saw that a few of the questions I got wrong were from hasty, stupid mistakes. I wouldn't let this scare you away though...believe me, I was very discouraged when I saw my grade. But I am going to meet with my prof in an hour to go over the test and see what I can do to improve my study skills and etc. I haven't had chem of any kind since 1993, so well..its been a LOOONG time since I have had to learn any of this!

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice:
-Ace and study your butt off the next exams.
-If you end up doing badly in the class, do well on chemistry sub section of pcat.

Resurrecting a dead thread guys. Hah

Got most of my information right now, so lets see what you guys think:
I ended up with a 35% on my mid-term, which completely destroys my chances for an A in the class, but a small chance for a B. Our grades in his class are broken down into three mid-term tests(17.5% each), home work(17.5% total), and a Final which accounts for 30% of our grade.

To receive a D in his class, I need to get 45-62%. A C in his class is a 62-77%, and a B is 77-89%.

If I get say an 80% on the other two mid-term's, a 90% on the homework will leave me with a 71.35 before the Final. Which should be easily doable.

So much can be learned by looking at the Syllabus for more than a few seconds. :smuggrin:

EDIT: If I can get a "D" in his class, and do 90% of my homework, he will pass us with a C. So, no worries on failing the class anymore.

I think as long as you do some extra curricular to make up for it you should be fine, good luck!

Last edited:
Would maybe re-doing that C in Community College to either an A or B be a smart thing to do?

I have been told ad-coms look down at Science classes being completed in a CC.

Coming back to this thread real quick; would taking a C in this class and a A or B in the lab be better than dropping it then re-doing it later? If I do drop this class, would re-doing it in a community college be acceptable?

If I drop Chemistry, it automatically drops the lab as well, so that would put 2 W's on my transcript.

what school do you go to? UC? if it's UC get out ASAP

UC?

I go to Texas Tech University but was wanting to transfer to the university of Texas next year, if that matters at all.

I think he meant UC as in University of California schools. And there is nothing wrong with going to a UC. I actually spoke to an adcom about redoing classes at a JC for some pre-reqs and one told me that once you take it at a UC (if this is where you go), you cannot retake it a CC. This was for UCSF though, Im sure it will vary upon schools.

fall down seven times, get up eight.

just don't give up. get up and murder the next test. it's all about hunger.