Failed Gen Chem 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC1230

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to start off, I am a junior and have done much better since I failed this class. I am a chemistry/biology double major, so naturally I took general chemistry 1 my first semester of college. I did completely horrible and eventually stopped attending class, so I got a FN (failure for not attending). I also had a couple C's this semester and ended with a cumulative gpa of about 2.4. Since this semester, I haven't had a single C and have been able to raise my gpa to 3.7 and my science gpa to around 3.8 (I retook chem and got an A the next semester). All in all, I was just simply not prepared for the college workload, but that semester served as a wake up call. My question is, how will this effect my ability to get into dental schools? I plan on applying this upcoming semester and was just curious how bad this will look to an admissions board. Also, I have not taken the DAT yet, but I have a date scheduled. Sorry for being so longwinded and thanks in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Bro don’t even worry. What matters most is your cGPA and sGPA. Some supplemental questions will ask you to explain any failing grades so definitely have a reason prepared for that. Very few interviewers, imo, will ask you to explain that one grade. Just do well on the DAT and you will be very solid

Since this semester, I haven't had a single C and have been able to raise my gpa to 3.7 and my science gpa to around 3.8 (I retook chem and got an A the next semester).
While the upward trend will definitely help, just keep in mind that AADSAS does not do grade replacement when calculating GPAs, so the FN and the A will average out to a C in your GPAs... Keep the trend up, focus on doing well on the DAT, make sure your LORs and essays are solid, be well rounded in terms of ECs, have your school list be reasonable/realistic and you should be good to go when you apply!