failed math course--retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GOLDenKatie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in applying to podiatry school for the entering class of 2011 and I am an economics major. My first year in college I failed two math classes..algebra and an education math course. I took one at a community college and the other at a public university. I have raised my gpa up to a 3.2 and they are the only classes I have failed. I attained deans list this past spring. I was wondering if I should retake one of the courses or let them go and take an intro calculus course next semester? I am sure I can pass because I just took a statistics class and received an A. I wasn't sure if the admissions committee would look down on those two courses or not since they aren't prerequisites.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dont waste your time. it doesnt count against your science gpa. keep your grades up (and do the rest of the stuff, ie mcat, shadow...) and you will be fine. Plus, it can be a good interview topic. You can show how that was a turning point and show how you have matured. Then again, don't be surprised if they don't even bring it up. You are more than two grades from your freshman year.

I reserve the right to alter this advice if the admissions standards (both official and unofficial) change over the next two years, since there is most likely going to be a huge influx of people trying to get into medicine and it will most likely only get more competitive.

I wouldn't take the intro to calculus, I don't think you even need it. According to the apma website, the following are the only mandatory admission requirements to apply:

To enter a college of podiatric medicine, one must first complete at least three years or 90 semester hours of college credit at an accredited institution. Over 95% of the students who enter a college of podiatric medicine have a bachelor' s degree. Many have also completed some graduate study.

Actual minimum semester credit hour requirements for all of the colleges of podiatric medicine include the following prerequisites: (all science courses require a lab)

Biology
8-12*

Chemistry (General or Inorganic)

Organic Chemistry

Physics

English
6-8*

*Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine requires 12 semester hours of Biological science. California School of Podiatric Medicine requires 8 semester hours of English/Communication studies.

The science courses you take should be those designed for health professional students (pre-medical students), and MUST include laboratory experience. Courses for non-science majors are not accepted.

http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/require.asp