Failed Naplex Twice. Passed on third attempt. Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDoc07

Reaction score
Hi All! I just want to share my experience with the Naplex and MPJE and hopefully shed some light and help fellow test takers. I am a bad test taker. I get nervous, blank out and often got headaches taking the long 6 hour exam. My first two Naplex scores were 73 and 70. Yes! I failed by a couple of points on both exams which was the most devastating part of it. My third exam, I made a 105! I made sure there was no room for error.

As for studying, I used ONE book which was RxPrep, and also had purchased the online videos and test banks. I went through the book about 3-4 times. As Naplex not only tests on the underlined information but really on anything! I took the rxprep practice exam and scored a 82 percent, and it states if you made less than 80, than to reschedule your exam.

As for the three exams, the core topics were all the same so make sure you study those chapters front and back:

HIV
Onco
Infectious Disease
Seizures
Sterile Compounding
Non Sterile Compounding
Hazardous Drugs
Biostatistics
Dyslipidemia
HTN
Math- mEq, milliosmoles, osmolality, CrCl calculation, IBW/Adj body weight, Corrected Calcium, Anion gap, metabolic acidosis vs alkalosis, e-value, isotonicity, flow rates, TPN, kcals, BSA, Onco calculations

Make sure you know your calculations 100 percent. I used Rxprep and test banks and also ordered the ProntoPass Math questions, which HELPED ME ALOT on the math portion. The math portion carries a lot of weight and I believe my high score of 105 was attributed on my math.

Other random topics tested:

Migraines
Anemia
Constipation/Diarrhea
Glaucoma
Pain calculations (conversions)
Stroke
CAD
Heart Failure
Cystic Fibrosis
ADHD
Depression
Bipolar/Mania

(The topics were pretty random, that's why I would study the whole book, instead of picking and choosing chapters).

MPJE- passed on first try for CT and NJ, used Pharmacyexam.com, RPHbuddy, and prontopass. Also purchased Rxprep federal book and test banks for extra practice.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I know this is k
Hi All! I just want to share my experience with the Naplex and MPJE and hopefully shed some light and help fellow test takers. I am a bad test taker. I get nervous, blank out and often got headaches taking the long 6 hour exam. My first two Naplex scores were 73 and 70. Yes! I failed by a couple of points on both exams which was the most devastating part of it. My third exam, I made a 105! I made sure there was no room for error.

As for studying, I used ONE book which was RxPrep, and also had purchased the online videos and test banks. I went through the book about 3-4 times. As Naplex not only tests on the underlined information but really on anything! I took the rxprep practice exam and scored a 82 percent, and it states if you made less than 80, than to reschedule your exam.

As for the three exams, the core topics were all the same so make sure you study those chapters front and back:

HIV
Onco
Infectious Disease
Seizures
Sterile Compounding
Non Sterile Compounding
Hazardous Drugs
Biostatistics
Dyslipidemia
HTN
Math- mEq, milliosmoles, osmolality, CrCl calculation, IBW/Adj body weight, Corrected Calcium, Anion gap, metabolic acidosis vs alkalosis, e-value, isotonicity, flow rates, TPN, kcals, BSA, Onco calculations

Make sure you know your calculations 100 percent. I used Rxprep and test banks and also ordered the ProntoPass Math questions, which HELPED ME ALOT on the math portion. The math portion carries a lot of weight and I believe my high score of 105 was attributed on my math.

Migraines
Anemia
Constipation/Diarrhea
Glaucoma
Stroke
CAD
Heart Failure
Cystic Fibrosis
ADHD
Depression
Bipolar/Mania

(The topics were pretty random, that's why I would study the whole book, instead of picking and choosing chapters).

I have the prontopass math cards if anyone would like to have them.

MPJE- passed on first try for CT and NJ, used Pharmacyexam.com, RPHbuddy, and prontopass. Also purchased Rxprep federal book and test banks for extra practice.

Good luck!

I know this is kind of of a stupid question, but how did you study? like specifically... for instance, did you take notes or did you just read the book? im just asking bc it is hard to retain a lot of the material

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is k

I know this is kind of of a stupid question, but how did you study? like specifically... for instance, did you take notes or did you just read the book? im just asking bc it is hard to retain a lot of the material

For the CORE sections, writing down is key. And then testing it over and over. For me, that meant doing quizlets or whatever flash card system you prefer. I tested brand names, and side effects/safety A LOT. Side effects and safety and brand names (for ID, HIV and ONC) are the name of the game (or at least was for me).

For the other sections, I wrote down a little, but it took too much time. I would just write down key information, but don't write down everything.

feel free to DM me if you want more help, the NAPLEX was not fun for me and i'm more than willing to impart advice to others like me

I highlighted the main information and sometimes read chapters 2-3 times if I did not do well on the quizzes then I would take the quiz again in 2 weeks without reading making sure I retained the information. I practiced my math in the last 2 weeks with the quizzes and the pronto pass math quizlets, and aceing the math section will help you to tip you over the 75 percentile. Writing, for me, did not help retain information. I would watch the videos to help me understand the material and help me remember it.

Congratulations on passing!

I have RxPrep and Kaplan test bank, are there any free resources you found useful? Quizlets, Youtube videos? I take my exam 6/24 and I am really nervous? I went through RxPrep once and I plan to review again with the McGraw-Hill book (I have the PDF if anyone wants it).
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

(If anyone wants math review stuff, here is some stuff I found online - Calculations - Google Drive)

HIV
Onco
Infectious Disease
Seizures
Sterile Compounding
Non Sterile Compounding
Hazardous Drugs
Biostatistics
Dyslipidemia
HTN

Migraines
Anemia
Constipation/Diarrhea
Glaucoma
Stroke
CAD
Heart Failure
Cystic Fibrosis
ADHD
Depression
Bipolar/Mania

Good luck!
Hi, do you think pronto pass is better for studying math than the Rx Prep book?

HIV
Onco
Infectious Disease
Seizures
Sterile Compounding
Non Sterile Compounding
Hazardous Drugs
Biostatistics
Dyslipidemia
HTN

Migraines
Anemia
Constipation/Diarrhea
Glaucoma
Stroke
CAD
Heart Failure
Cystic Fibrosis
ADHD
Depression
Bipolar/Mania

Good luck!
Hello,
I read your thread and advise on taking the naplex more than once. Unfortunately I recently failed mine and was very close to the passing score. I ran out of time and had about 100 questions left with about an hour to answer them. I believe that I took to long answering math questions and got hit with some pretty random stuff early that could have been part of those 50 questions that don't count towards your score. I used rxprep and made a 90 on their exam. I was also encouraged to purchase Kaplan question bank as well. Do you have any advise to give me as far as test taking strategies, resources, etc? I've been VERY depressed about it and too embarrassed to admit to anyone that I did not pass. I'm also currently studying for my MPJE that I take next week. I plan to retake Naplex early/mid August. May you please send me the pronto pass math cards you stated were very helpful and is there any other resources you think I should purchase?

Last edited:
Based on 2019 RXPrep Book Here's the Chapter breakdown from OP:

• Chapter 7-11: Math- mEq, milliosmoles, osmolality, CrCl calculation, IBW/Adj body weight, Corrected Calcium, Anion gap, metabolic acidosis vs alkalosis, e-value, isotonicity, flow rates, TPN, kcals, BSA, Onco calculations
  • Chapter 12: Biostatistics
  • Chapter 13: Non-Sterile Compounding
  • Chapter 14: Sterile Compounding
  • Chapter 15: Hazardous Drugs
  • Chapter 20-23: Infectious Disease
  • Chapter 24: HIV
  • Chapter 25: Dyslipidemia
  • Chapter 26: HTN

Other Random Topics:

• Chapter 28: CAD
  • Chapter 29: Heart Failure
  • Chapter 31: Stroke
  • Chapter 33: Anemia
  • Chapter 36: Glaucoma
  • Chapter 51: Cystic Fibrosis
  • Chapter 58: Pain calculations (conversions)
  • Chapter 59: Migraines
  • Chapter 63: Depression
  • Chapter 66: ADHD
  • Chapter 65: Bipolar/Mania
  • Chapter 71: Constipation/Diarrhea

Reactions: 1 user

HIV
Onco
Infectious Disease
Seizures
Sterile Compounding
Non Sterile Compounding
Hazardous Drugs
Biostatistics
Dyslipidemia
HTN

Migraines
Anemia
Constipation/Diarrhea
Glaucoma
Stroke
CAD
Heart Failure
Cystic Fibrosis
ADHD
Depression
Bipolar/Mania

Good luck!

I know you have to wait at least 45 days to retest but I was wondering how long you waited to retest?