Failed OB rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throway123466

Reaction score
So I’m a third year FM resident and I just got word that the OB staff at my institution would not be recommending me for privileges to perform obstetric services independently after I graduate. Can I still graduate residency without being recommended for obstetric privileges once I graduate? Once I graduated I was never going to request obstetric privileges anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

So I’m a third year FM resident and I just got word that the OB staff at my institution would not be recommending me for privileges to perform obstetric services independently after I graduate. Can I still graduate residency without being recommended for obstetric privileges once I graduate? Once I graduated I was never going to request obstetric privileges anyway.

Wait, did you fail the rotation (as per your thread title), or did they just tell you that you shouldn’t be doing OB by yourself? There’s a difference.

Wait, did you fail the rotation (as per your thread title), or did they just tell you that you shouldn’t be doing OB by yourself? There’s a difference.

they said they would not recommend me for independent credentials. Didn’t fail the rotation

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
they said they would not recommend me for independent credentials. Didn’t fail the rotation

If you didn't fail the rotation, you should be fine. I'm just curious as to how this even came up in conversation, especially as you apparently did not plan on doing OB after graduation anyway.

Yeah agreed. This is weird.
Your program director (from my understanding) is the one who officially signs off saying you can graduate. It doesn't sound like this will affect you graduating, but you should talk to them if you have concerns.

Since you didn’t fail the rotation, you should be fine.

And I doubt the OB faculty will be asked to “recommend” you for anything at your first job. Plus, sounds like you’re not into OB anyway (me neither BTW) so I wouldn’t stress.

Wouldn't your faculty know already if you want to do OB, and if you did, would be helping you to gain experience to be able to do that?
This doesn't sound like something that would come out of thin air.
They're only going to give you the stamp of approval if you did the extra work to get the numbers.
Otherwise, its just "ok, he's not going to do OB" That's the norm.