Failed Obgyn Shelf by 1%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firewareagle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster on this forum. Recently found out that I failed my Obgyn shelf exam and as per school policy, I have to retake it. Wanted to know how this is going to impact my chances on matching into an IM residency.

The reason why I am worried is because I'm an IMG from SGU and IMG students having any sort of red flags on their application is a big deal. My Step 1 score was decent at 236. I haven't failed or even been close to failing any classes, shelves or rotations.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does this go on your transcript or dean's letter as a failed rotation or will you just have to retake the shelf? If it's the former, it's gonna hurt. If it's the later, it depends on how your school reports it or if they even mention it all come time to apply for residency.

So the shelf grade is part of the overall rotation grade. If I didn't fail the other components of the rotation, then I wouldn't have failed the rotation. I don't know my overall rotation grade as of yet.

About whether this gets report in the dean's letter, I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this go on your transcript or dean's letter as a failed rotation or will you just have to retake the shelf? If it's the former, it's gonna hurt. If it's the later, it depends on how your school reports it or if they even mention it all come time to apply for residency.

Some schools don't. My school actually doesn't because the overall grade is the only thing that appears in the MSPE. You only have one chance to remediate the shelf or the OSCE. Cant remediate the attending overall eval.

Some schools do a lot to protect their students. For instance, my school does not report remediation in your transcript. They DO report failure! They of course penalize you if you have to remediate as you can only get 70% even if you score above 70% in the remedial exam...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I'm a first time poster on this forum. Recently found out that I failed my Obgyn shelf exam and as per school policy, I have to retake it. Wanted to know how this is going to impact my chances on matching into an IM residency.

The reason why I am worried is because I'm an IMG from SGU and IMG students having any sort of red flags on their application is a big deal. My Step 1 score was decent at 236. I haven't failed or even been close to failing any classes, shelves or rotations.

Hi there, I got the same situation as you did. If you don't mind could I ask you some advices??? Thanks

Hey guys,

Really sorry this happened to you. Go to the Dean/Leadership and see if you can do something to get it off your transcript. If it stays, it's a small red flag added to the bigger red flag of attending a Caribbean school (despite Big 4 designation). If you fail to match low tier university IM, that one shelf won't be the one dagger you may think it is. Try to kill Step 2 at this point and be ready to explain the failure because it will come up if it's your own one. OB was my most difficult shelf and I only scored 5 or so points above failing (scored 71 I remember) at our school which is why this caught my eye and I feel for you in this situation.

I failed a shelf by 1% during 3rd year, studied hard for a week, retook it, got a 94% on the retake. Never showed up on my deans letter (although my final grade was only "pass", my school is honors/high pass/pass/fail). Schools that put that on their dean's letter are doing their students a disservice. Never had any other issues with grades or tests....my dean said to me, "everyone has a bad day, there is no point in penalizing you for it." Never had another problem and matched into my #1 choice for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Just pointing out that the OP is from last year, so they probably got their answer by now.

Hi there, I got the same situation as you did. If you don't mind could I ask you some advices??? Thanks

I think the answers in this thread are pretty good. It all comes down to how/if this appears on your transcript. If you're an IMG and it shows up as a failed course, you're in trouble; otherwise if you pass the retake and nobody ever hears about it, probably no impact at all.

Really sorry this happened to you. Go to the Dean/Leadership and see if you can do something to get it off your transcript. If it stays, it's a small red flag added to the bigger red flag of attending a Caribbean school (despite Big 4 designation). If you fail to match low tier university IM, that one shelf won't be the one dagger you may think it is. Try to kill Step 2 at this point and be ready to explain the failure because it will come up if it's your own one. OB was my most difficult shelf and I only scored 5 or so points above failing (scored 71 I remember) at our school which is why this caught my eye and I feel for you in this situation.

F in a clinical clerkship is a huge red flag - although not as severe as board failure. I would absolutely imagine it as a reason a IMG not match into an university program.