Failed out of DO program, trying to get back in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont have any advice either. It sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing. I think you have a good attitude about things! I hope that a school does understand and give you another chance. We all make mistakes but the important thing is to learn from them. During orientation at my school, they told us about a student from the school who failed the cardiology class in 2nd year but then went on to become a chief of cardiology later on in her career.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You could try going to Israel (Tel Aviv University/Sackler's New York program) for medical school seeing as you are in NY now. Their students land some pretty good residencies in New York (better than NYCOM). If you got into DO school originally, you can probably get into this program. Tuition is $27,000. Just telling you that there are other paths to becoming a doctor.

You could try going to Israel (Tel Aviv University/Sackler's New York program) for medical school seeing as you are in NY now. Their students land some pretty good residencies in New York (better than NYCOM). If you got into DO school originally, you can probably get into this program. Tuition is $27,000. Just telling you that there are other paths to becoming a doctor.

Does Tel Aviv accept international students??

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Tel Aviv accept international students??

Yeah they have an American program for about 60 US citizens. Classes and rotations are in English. It's definitely an option that the OP should consider if other paths become dead-ends. Because Israel doesn't have the same liability issues as in the US, third year is supposed to be really amazing as you get to do a lot of hands on stuff that residents do here. You do need a decent MCAT (>28) to get into the program though and have some cultural interest about Israel. You don't have to be Jewish though.

Yeah they have an American program for about 60 US citizens. Classes and rotations are in English. It's definitely an option that the OP should consider if other paths become dead-ends. Because Israel doesn't have the same liability issues as in the US, third year is supposed to be really amazing as you get to do a lot of hands on stuff that residents do here. You do need a decent MCAT (>28) to get into the program though and have some cultural interest about Israel. You don't have to be Jewish though.

Interesting.

Thanks for the tip, womp! I'll def look into it.

I dont have any advice either. It sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing. I think you have a good attitude about things! I hope that a school does understand and give you another chance. We all make mistakes but the important thing is to learn from them. During orientation at my school, they told us about a student from the school who failed the cardiology class in 2nd year but then went on to become a chief of cardiology later on in her career.

Thanks, that gives me some more hope!

Last edited:
I don't really have any proper advice to give... I just wanted to add that I've read through this entire thread and I wanted to wish you good luck. I genuinely hope it works out for you.

Thanks!

I've read this thread in its entirety and the only thing I can think to say is good luck to you. Despite being my "competition" *ugh, how I'm loathe to think I'm competing with others to help people* I hope you find a home somewhere. You seem to be sincere in your desires and your efforts appear earnest, so good luck to you. I'm sure you'll make a fine doc.

ETA - But my opinion and five bucks will get you a latté.

Last edited:
Hey Bones. Failure is a humbling experience for anyone, but the key is to learn from it and make sure history doesn't repeat. My guess is you'll eventually get another crack at med school, and when that happens... NEVER settle for just passing. Seek to excel in every single class.

Ever see The Patriot?

144832180_a491ca10e9.jpg

"Aim small, miss small..."

Good luck.

Hey Bones. Failure is a humbling experience for anyone, but the key is to learn from it and make sure history doesn't repeat. My guess is you'll eventually get another crack at med school, and when that happens... NEVER settle for just passing. Seek to excel in every single class.

Ever see The Patriot?

144832180_a491ca10e9.jpg

"Aim small, miss small..."

Good luck.

Thanks ...The Patriot was a great movie and a good quote for my situation!

I've read this thread in its entirety and the only thing I can think to say is good luck to you. Despite being my "competition" *ugh, how I'm loathe to think I'm competing with others to help people* I hope you find a home somewhere. You seem to be sincere in your desires and your efforts appear earnest, so good luck to you. I'm sure you'll make a fine doc.

ETA - But my opinion and five bucks will get you a latté.

Good luck to you too! :)

Thanks ...The Patriot was a great movie and a good quote for my situation!
You like movies? Perfect!

I also recommend Gattaca. That film inspired me throughout medical school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh:

U.S. MD schools would be a LOT easier to get into;)

You know I check this thread everyday, to see if you've gotten an interview yet....GET A INTERVIEW DAMMIT!!! :D

Haha, I'm not even verified yet, AACOMAS is taking a long time this year. I had to wait for my AnP II grades from the summer to submit, got them August 1st, sent everything in that day. They have had everything since 8/13. I called AACOMAS today because the new Mississippi DO school said they'd consider my application, and I wanted to know if I added them, would it slow the process down, and they said no, so I added them. That's 10 DO schools ...AACOMAS says average wait tim is 7 weeks now, so that would have me verified about 10/1. I'll keep you apprised of the situation :)

Haha, I'm not even verified yet, AACOMAS is taking a long time this year. I had to wait for my AnP II grades from the summer to submit, got them August 1st, sent everything in that day. They have had everything since 8/13. I called AACOMAS today because the new Mississippi DO school said they'd consider my application, and I wanted to know if I added them, would it slow the process down, and they said no, so I added them. That's 10 DO schools ...AACOMAS says average wait tim is 7 weeks now, so that would have me verified about 10/1. I'll keep you apprised of the situation :)

Ok. I'll be patient a little while longer.:D

how else could a school find out you were dismissed??

If you have NO LOANS because you paid them all off.

AND you called the National Clearing House at 703-742-4200, website is https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/contactus.htm, and they say they have no record of you ever being at the school you were dismissed from. I talked to them about their student tracker, it listed several schools ive been to, but i have been in attendance at 4 other schools that were not listed. The med school i was dismissed from is one of those schools. The school i got my undergrad degree from is also a school that was not listed. Seems they are really hit or miss.

Then how would anyone know? Would they really go through EVERY medical school, calling them one by one to find out if i ever attended??

Just curious.

AND you called the National Clearing House at 703-742-4200, website is https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/contactus.htm, and they say they have no record of you ever being at the school you were dismissed from. I talked to them about their student tracker, it listed several schools ive been to, but i have been in attendance at 4 other schools that were not listed. The med school i was dismissed from is one of those schools. The school i got my undergrad degree from is also a school that was not listed. Seems they are really hit or miss.

Then how would anyone know? Would they really go through EVERY medical school, calling them one by one to find out if i ever attended??

Just curious.

I honestly don't know. In my case, I did take loans, so there is probably an easy-to-follow record of it. In any case, I think running the risk of getting in and going through years of work only to have them find out somehow some way about it in the future is just not worth it.

Again, in my case, I feel like the extra work I'm doing to get ready is really needed (should have done it before the first run at med school) and I also think that showing that continued dedication to becoming a D.O. is looked kindly upon... at least at the schools I have applications in at. I guess it is possible to fly in under the radar, but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

By way of update... I'm still waiting to be verified. I called AACOMAS today and they claim I submitted 8/19/09 This is possible I guess but I could have sworn it was 8/13/09... lady said I should be verified in a few days this limbo is killing me!

By way of update... I'm still waiting to be verified. I called AACOMAS today and they claim I submitted 8/19/09 This is possible I guess but I could have sworn it was 8/13/09... lady said I should be verified in a few days this limbo is killing me!

LOL, Bones, its killing me too and I'm not even applying this year LOL:D

Why would you think its NYCOM?
it definitly sounds like NYCOM. I interviewed there last cycle and at the interview they told us about the 2 strikes and your out policy (you really dont get good vibes from a place that mentions failing at your interview). They are also known to have a brutal introductory course.

it definitly sounds like NYCOM. I interviewed there last cycle and at the interview they told us about the 2 strikes and your out policy (you really dont get good vibes from a place that mentions failing at your interview). They are also known to have a brutal introductory course.

Interesting. I have already eliminated them from my list of schools to apply for next year.

LOL, Bones, its killing me too and I'm not even applying this year LOL:D

haha it's kind of nice to know that I'm not suffering alone! I'll be sure to suffer with you next cycle. :)

Yea well I had a 61 for the intro system with a 48 in anatomy and 69 (well 68.5... they round down to 68...) for the muscle/skeleton system with a 49 for anatomy. Even with this clear upward trend, and the obvious addressable weakness in anat , they denied my appeal without much thought. Again the appeal was just to take some measures to better prep for anat and to start over the following year. Dean notified me via email 3 days after...from his secretary. :thumbdown:thumbdown No test retakes are allowed :thumbdown: Avoid at all costs. :thumbdown:

ok, there is one more place that admins can call to find out about you - if you have had federal stafford loans - 1-800-433-3243 dial 0, ask for the borrower tracker program, give them your ssn/dob and they will list schools that they have on record of you attending that you used staffords with.

this actually had my school that the national student clearinghouse didnt have, so im screwed. i have to disclose.

Just curious.

ok, there is one more place that admins can call to find out about you - if you have had federal stafford loans - 1-800-433-3243 dial 0, ask for the borrower tracker program, give them your ssn/dob and they will list schools that they have on record of you attending that you used staffords with.

this actually had my school that the national student clearinghouse didnt have, so im screwed. i have to disclose.

Probably better that way. Honesty = Good. Good luck! :)

You might want to call LECOM-Erie. They have folks fail classes every year and really try to do what they can to get people through. It's really hard to fail out there. You could see if you could go through their year-long post-bacc program and if you do well would they guarantee your admission after that. LECOM's post bacc (I did it) is basically mini medical school with the same professors. It is 4 hours in the evening Mon-thurs so you would have time to work, etc made medical school a whole lot easier. Good luck.

You might want to call LECOM-Erie. They have folks fail classes every year and really try to do what they can to get people through. It's really hard to fail out there. You could see if you could go through their year-long post-bacc program and if you do well would they guarantee your admission after that. LECOM's post bacc (I did it) is basically mini medical school with the same professors. It is 4 hours in the evening Mon-thurs so you would have time to work, etc made medical school a whole lot easier. Good luck.

Thanks Cabin Builder! I actually have an app in at LECOM-Erie and I'll look into the post bacc as an attractive option. How did you like going there? I get the feeling that they care about the students, what's your take on the administration over there?

So uh, a little bad news on the MCAT front. I had a 26R to begin with, and just got my scores back 24M from last september. This is a massive disappointment since In was averaging around 29 or 30 on the damn practice tests.

So first, for the Osteopathic schools, you'd have to release this to them, right? If I don't want them to know these scores, they never need to right? I was hoping to improve at least by one point to demonstrate continued dedication to becoming a doc but I fear this will paint me in a more negative light than I'm already being viewed in.

Also, I am beginning to realize a pattern, however, with major tests in the last year and a half. The same mentality grabs hold of me, where I freeze up and am unable to perform to my potential. My heart feels like a war drum, my extremities get cold and very sweaty and my stomach makes me want to vomit. Does anyone out there know anything about anxiety disorders? I am usually fine, I can study fine, but I get insanely nervous the day of a test and get progressively worse til about halfway through the test. I've always been sort of a nervous person but it never itnerfeered with my adacemics before....Anyone know of any kind of drug that you can take, just on days that are going to be particularly stressful that will keep you from losing in and therefore not wasting all the effort you put into preping? I'd appreciate any advice or comments on this matter.

Thanks

-Bones

So uh, a little bad news on the MCAT front. I had a 26R to begin with, and just got my scores back 24M from last september. This is a massive disappointment since In was averaging around 29 or 30 on the damn practice tests.

So first, for the Osteopathic schools, you'd have to release this to them, right? If I don't want them to know these scores, they never need to right? I was hoping to improve at least by one point to demonstrate continued dedication to becoming a doc but I fear this will paint me in a more negative light than I'm already being viewed in.

Also, I am beginning to realize a pattern, however, with major tests in the last year and a half. The same mentality grabs hold of me, where I freeze up and am unable to perform to my potential. My heart feels like a war drum, my extremities get cold and very sweaty and my stomach makes me want to vomit. Does anyone out there know anything about anxiety disorders? I am usually fine, I can study fine, but I get insanely nervous the day of a test and get progressively worse til about halfway through the test. I've always been sort of a nervous person but it never itnerfeered with my adacemics before....Anyone know of any kind of drug that you can take, just on days that are going to be particularly stressful that will keep you from losing in and therefore not wasting all the effort you put into preping? I'd appreciate any advice or comments on this matter.

Thanks

-Bones

Well, of course I'm not a doc, but I would definitely see a doctor about that to see if in fact you do have some sort of anxiety disorder. I'm sure if you do they will prescribe you the proper medicine to help you with that. Good Luck.

So first, for the Osteopathic schools, you'd have to release this to them, right? If I don't want them to know these scores, they never need to right?

I'm really sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped, but I have to caution you against the above kind of thinking. It's my understanding that you must disclose all scores. Besides, given the fact that you were dismissed from med school once, keeping your new MCAT score hidden would definitely raise one red flag too many. The last thing you want is to get accepted and THEN have the school find out there's an MCAT score out there they haven't seen.

Your applications are already out there so you can't do anything now, but what I would do is bust your ass for the January MCAT. I mean REALLY bust your ass. Make the MCAT your life. If you can get your score up, I think you'll have a better shot next season. The other thing you might consider doing, is asking schools if they could put your application on hold until January scores come in.

Have you considered trying to get admitted to KCUMB's MS in Biomedicine program? On their website it states that if you graduate from this program with at least a 3.0, you automatically get an offer to theie College of Osteopathic Medicine. http://www.kcumb.edu/Adm2/cob_faq.asp

Just another approach to your goal.

i wish you luck i am rooting for you can you apply to a school that has a guarantee spot if you excell in their premed program NOVA is a DO school that has such a program, but there are md schools that have that as well...Geaorgetown, drexel, meharry and i am sure others. This may not be what you want to hear but I am proud of you because you are still fighting for your dream. please do not give up....:thumbup::love::p:oops::):rolleyes::cool:;):D:xf:I will send you positive energy everyday.

I'm really sorry you didn't do as well as you hoped, but I have to caution you against the above kind of thinking. It's my understanding that you must disclose all scores. Besides, given the fact that you were dismissed from med school once, keeping your new MCAT score hidden would definitely raise one red flag too many. The last thing you want is to get accepted and THEN have the school find out there's an MCAT score out there they haven't seen.

Your applications are already out there so you can't do anything now, but what I would do is bust your ass for the January MCAT. I mean REALLY bust your ass. Make the MCAT your life. If you can get your score up, I think you'll have a better shot next season. The other thing you might consider doing, is asking schools if they could put your application on hold until January scores come in.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to ask AACOMAS directly. I'll let you all know what they say.

Have you considered trying to get admitted to KCUMB's MS in Biomedicine program? On their website it states that if you graduate from this program with at least a 3.0, you automatically get an offer to theie College of Osteopathic Medicine. http://www.kcumb.edu/Adm2/cob_faq.asp

Just another approach to your goal.

Thanks! I'll look into that and others like it as a backup. It's still pretty early in this process I'm hoping it will not come to that, though! It's good to have a plan B though.

i wish you luck i am rooting for you can you apply to a school that has a guarantee spot if you excell in their premed program NOVA is a DO school that has such a program, but there are md schools that have that as well...Geaorgetown, drexel, meharry and i am sure others. This may not be what you want to hear but I am proud of you because you are still fighting for your dream. please do not give up....:thumbup::love::p:oops::):rolleyes::cool:;):D:xf:I will send you positive energy everyday.

Thank you so much for the positive energy and well wishes! I will look into NOVA, I didn't know they had such a program; so as of now I'm looking at K-COM, Erie and NOVA as possible backups. Erie's doesn't say it gives you an assured seat if you do well though, do K-COM and NOVA's say this outright? I still want to be a D.O. so I'm not going to try for the MD ones, and I'd rather not have to retake the MCAT again if possible.

Verified by AACOMAS today, 10/14!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!1...It's a about TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Sheesh, I was going to say if you post one more time in this forum without any news of being verified I was going to be really mad.:mad::D Good Luck.:xf::xf: That's for some secondaries and interviews coming your way.

Well, of course I'm not a doc, but I would definitely see a doctor about that to see if in fact you do have some sort of anxiety disorder. I'm sure if you do they will prescribe you the proper medicine to help you with that. Good Luck.

Exactly, go see an FP about your condition, which sounds like performance anxiety. This condition is not uncommon and there is good symptomatic treatment for it. Make sure your FP is aware of your exact situation, so that the right drug can be given, because there are some drugs that are anxiolytic, but can mess with your alertness and cause amnesia, two side-effects you definitely don't want when taking tests.

Last edited:

Thanks

-Bones

When you release your MCAT score it will release all of them. You can't pick and choose so they will both show up.

Is it common for students to fail out of DO school:scared:?? I thought most DO schools were very selective and only pick those that they know will succeed?

All med schools pick those they think will succeed. However, at every school some will fail out. Med school is hard.

Both MD & DO schools have about 4-8% attrition rate. Its up to you to stay afloat in med school, fortunately most people do.

It helps to chose a student-friendly school like Ohio University verses some of the others that are more concerned with making money, which could be a morale killer. :thumbdown:

Agreed, harping on the "2 strikes and you're out policy" all the time breeds excess failure from nerves.. tho I'm realizing I may have been more susceptible than most.

Is it common for students to fail out of DO school:scared:?? I thought most DO schools were very selective and only pick those that they know will succeed?

I am learning from a sample of about 25 PM's that some are easier to fail out of than others.

When you release your MCAT score it will release all of them. You can't pick and choose so they will both show up.

Aye, but if you released once 2 years ago, and AACOMAS has that on file, and you take it again... you simply neglect to report the new score if you don't want to. This isn't a big deal since most DO schools (and all the ones I'm applying to) consider you based on your best score anyway.

Exactly, go see an FP about your condition, which sounds like performance anxiety. This condition is not uncommon and there is good symptomatic treatment for it. Make sure your FP is aware of your exact situation, so that the right drug can be given, because there are some drugs that are anxiolytic, but can mess with your alertness and cause amnesia, two side-effects you definitely don't want when taking tests.

I agree with you, but I'll let you know what the FP says, seeing her on Friday. I'll be sure to go into detail about the exact situations, thanks for the advice!

I am learning from a sample of about 25 PM's that some are easier to fail out of than others.

This might be a lot to ask, but would you mind telling us which schools are easy to fail out of besides yours? I'd like to know before I get into a school like that.

Aye, but if you released once 2 years ago, and AACOMAS has that on file, and you take it again... you simply neglect to report the new score if you don't want to. This isn't a big deal since most DO schools (and all the ones I'm applying to) consider you based on your best score anyway.

The first time I took the MCAT was in 1996, it showed up on my score report. Either way you do it, any MCAT you take at any time WILL show up. Since you have a really big hole to dig yourself out of, why are you going to make it deeper by not divulging the whole truth by yourself?

You need to show that you CAN succeed in a program. You have already shown that you cannot. Anything you do that is negative will probably earn you an automatic rejection.