Failed out of DO program, trying to get back in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's actually AProgDirector, I misspelled it the first time.
If I were a program director, I'd love to take someone who went through all that you did, it would show that you really really want this, but who knows how program directors think, I am guessing they don't all think like I do.

The policy at MSU may be set in stone, maybe not. I don't know who makes the decisions at MSUCOM, but I think that most students dealt mostly with Dr.Falls- the Dean of Students for academic problems and other issues. Again, it may or may not matter who you contact there, but if you're given the option of a few people to deal with, I'd take Dr.Falls. (nothing at all against Dean Strampel, he does a lot of good for MSUCOM), but Dr.Falls was really sympathetic and even helped me out with anatomy (he teaches part of the course, at least he did when I was a first year).
I can tell you though that the tuition for out of state students at MSUCOM is crazy!
I think we're all pulling for you.:luck::luck:

So I got a reply from MSUCOM, apparently I'd be allowed to apply. There are two reasons not though, 95% of their seats go to in-state and like you said the out of state tuition is almost 70k/year. I'd actually deal with the price tag ... I might do it anyway, because 5% of a shot is better than nothing, and they might be attracted to my willingness to pay lol!

Members don't see this ad.

When you say open cadavers, do you mean prosected ones?

When I said open, I meant to say open to the public, as in you don't have to be in a professional program to participate in the class... prosections would be cool but hands on would probably be preferable...suggestions anyone? Within 200 miles of chenango county, NY if possible.. hahaha

You went through two years of med school and you had to leave for illness? Unless you had some kind of mental illness that compromised the safety of your patients, I can't imagine any med school kicking you out for illness. Why didn't you take a leave of absence?

I'm pretty sure it had to do with a stupid policy on missing more than a certain # of OMM labs, right? Or a required school activity like helping out at a high school clinic. I would so lawyer up if I were you POTW!

Members don't see this ad :)
You went through two years of med school and you had to leave for illness? Unless you had some kind of mental illness that compromised the safety of your patients, I can't imagine any med school kicking you out for illness. Why didn't you take a leave of absence?

LOA wouldn't help. I couldn't stay in that school's climate. I was working on a transfer to a warmer school for clinical years because I knew my attendance problem would be a huge issue then. I had certain members of the administration helping me with this. But Family Medicine and Academic Affairs fought it, and ultimately got me dismissed. They called me unprofessional, and implied that I was lying about my illness. However, my dismissal said "failure to make academic progress," but I didn't have less than a B in any class other than OMT (they took 24 points off of my grade for missing 4 labs). They also gave me an F in a P/F fam med class due to my absence from 1 out of 12 classes/activities. Other students were allowed to make up activities from this class when they simply forgot to show up. I was not allowed to do a make up even though I missed due to illness. My health insurance had run out, so I couldn't get doctor's excuses between October 13th and November 1st when my new insurance kicked in. My rheumatologist was willing to write a letter to my school so that I could have a sort of standing excuse, but I wasn't able to see him again until Thanksgiving break, and that was too late. (He suggested I sue them when he found out what happened, and even recommended his personal lawyer.)

In retrospect, I was really stupid assuming that everyone was understanding/working with me simply because the student services office was, and also that members of the administration would have compassion because I had talked to them (literally cried in their offices) over my limitations. I filed a complaint against the school for disability discrimination, but lost because I did not talk to the right person at the right time about my disability. Apparently, there is one guy at every school that handles this sort of thing, and you have to go to them first. The school was found to be deficient in several areas related to preventing disability and other types of discrimination, and they were given a few months to fix all their deficiencies. Most of their problem was failure to provide students appropriate access to that one guy who handles this stuff. In fact, they didn't even have someone specifically assigned to this job. I got them in a bit of trouble, but it doesn't really help me any.

It's interesting that you should mention mental disabilities. They kept pushing me to admit I was depressed. Somehow if depression had been the cause of my problems rather than a physical illness, it would all be okay....

Btw, don't trust your profs. Through the investigation, I was able to obtain handwritten notes that a professor supposedly wrote while meeting with me. (She did not take notes during that meeting. She was standing in front of her desk.) It was clear from the notes that she either didn't listen to a word I said, or didn't care. She said I didn't want to be there and was unenthusiastic about medicine. She also said I had excuses for everything. During this meeting, she told me to "consider whether I was healthy enough to be a doctor." She denied making this statement during the investigation, and I had no evidence to prove otherwise.

When I first met with academic affairs about my disability and how it effected my performance, the dean laughed and said, "it's not that cold." He denied making this statement and also denied even having a discussion about my disability to OCR. Said he didn't know about it at all. This is complete BS, so take a tape recorder to all meetings with admin/prof's. I know I will from now on.

I'm pretty sure it had to do with a stupid policy on missing more than a certain # of OMM labs, right? Or a required school activity like helping out at a high school clinic. I would so lawyer up if I were you POTW!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. I think your situation is just as ridiculous as mine. It pretty obvious from the sheer number of people dismissed from your school after two sections that something isn't right. You wouldn't have been dismissed from many other schools. You would have likely been 5th yeared, but not dismissed.

When I said open, I meant to say open to the public, as in you don't have to be in a professional program to participate in the class... prosections would be cool but hands on would probably be preferable...suggestions anyone? Within 200 miles of chenango county, NY if possible.. hahaha

I think most med schools with prosected cadavers hire someone to do the dissections. It's usually students, but you could check into that. Maybe there are hospital morgues or funeral homes that would need someone to push the bodies around? Did you do any other dissecting in school, cats, pigs, sharks, etc? If so, was that a problem?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack your thread. I think your situation is just as ridiculous as mine. It pretty obvious from the sheer number of people dismissed from your school after two sections that something isn't right. You wouldn't have been dismissed from many other schools. You would have likely been 5th yeared, but not dismissed.

No need to apologize, I really hope you get back in somewhere too. That's so rotten how that went down, why should it matter if you're mentally sick or physically sick? Thats complete BS! And to dismiss you when your grades are so good, it just seems like it's the school shooting itself in the foot, and you in the face! You'll show them! I would have been fine with being 5th yeared... oh well.. (trying to) move on right? I forget, are you applying this cycle or next? If so where are you in the process?

I think most med schools with prosected cadavers hire someone to do the dissections. It's usually students, but you could check into that. Maybe there are hospital morgues or funeral homes that would need someone to push the bodies around? Did you do any other dissecting in school, cats, pigs, sharks, etc? If so, was that a problem?

I had no problem dissecting animals (fetal pigs, cats, mice, frogs, crabs etc), I got anxiety attacks about doing it with people for some reason. It did get easier, but I'm still seeing someone about getting an as-needed medicine for especially stressful situations, as I can usually feel an attack coming on. I assist with autopsies at a morgue/path office but it's at a pretty quick pace and its only about once every 4 - 5 weeks that one comes through the office. I hadn't thought of the funeral home... that might be a good idea just to get as much exposure as possible. Thanks!

No need to apologize, I really hope you get back in somewhere too. That's so rotten how that went down, why should it matter if you're mentally sick or physically sick? Thats complete BS! And to dismiss you when your grades are so good, it just seems like it's the school shooting itself in the foot, and you in the face! You'll show them! I would have been fine with being 5th yeared... oh well.. (trying to) move on right? I forget, are you applying this cycle or next? If so where are you in the process?

Next cycle. I thought about reapplying this cycle, but OCR took 8 months to reach a conclusion on my case. I wanted to have something definitive to put in my personal statement. Also, it gives me time to really study for the mcat and to get a better backup degree than biology/psychology.

Wow, I'm surprised that such a course is hard to find. It's out of your geographic range, but I took an undergrad gross anatomy course at Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan and we learned from prosected cadavers. Students who did really well in the class and got to know the professor sometimes had the opportunity to be the TA for future anatomy courses and they did the dissecting.

I think undergraduate anatomy and physiology classes use cadavers most of the time. My husband took it during his "glide" year and it made the first term of medical school a little more palatable. It was an upper level class in the biology department - full of pre-meds, at a local state 4-yr school.

Next cycle. I thought about reapplying this cycle, but OCR took 8 months to reach a conclusion on my case. I wanted to have something definitive to put in my personal statement. Also, it gives me time to really study for the mcat and to get a better backup degree than biology/psychology.

Good call, It'll work out in the end :)

Thanks guys I'm going to make some calls to all the colleges in a 200 mile radius and see where I might be able to enroll in such a class. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like how you took it upon yourself to take an anatomy class and lab after being dismissed and then got an A in the class, became a TA and got a letter of rec from an anatomy professor. I can't think of anything else that you can do to strengthen your application that you haven't done and I think schools will look favorably at your determination and what you've done to correct the problem. If you did well on the written and OMM exams and only failed the anatomy portions I would be sure to bring a copy of your transcript with you that proves this to all your interviews. I think you still have as good of a chance at being accepted to an osteopathic program as any other applicant, if not you should have no problem getting into St. George's.

Good luck!:thumbup:

I really like how you took it upon yourself to take an anatomy class and lab after being dismissed and then got an A in the class, became a TA and got a letter of rec from an anatomy professor. I can't think of anything else that you can do to strengthen your application that you haven't done and I think schools will look favorably at your determination and what you've done to correct the problem. If you did well on the written and OMM exams and only failed the anatomy portions I would be sure to bring a copy of your transcript with you that proves this to all your interviews. I think you still have as good of a chance at being accepted to an osteopathic program as any other applicant, if not you should have no problem getting into St. George's.

Good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the kind words. Wish I was still on the Island of Long ;-)

Just by way of update, since a few people on here asked me, I've gotten 2 interviews so far, both are in early December at Touro NY and RVU. I'd be thrilled to be accepted to either.

I had a little bit of a problem with my DO letter, and ended up having to resend it personally to several schools. Somehow I got a copy but several schools it was supposed to be mailed to did not. This seems to be a result of the central hospital for which my recommender works having no mail room, and having HR employees sort/send all the mail....hoping it all works out :xf::xf::xf:

Bones, I've got to give you props for working so hard and for your determination. I hope to God that things work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Bones, I've got to give you props for working so hard and for your determination. I hope to God that things work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

+1000000000000000000000

:luck:

Good luck on the interviews this month. Let us know how things go!!!! :luck::xf:

so i am at work, so i should be doing work, however i instead read through this thread, and i would also like to say that i hope your interviews go well and you will be part of the class of 2014.....i've been doing a lot of praying this cycle, and i don't know if you're the religious-type or not but i'm going to save a little spot in my prayers for you....good luck

so i am at work, so i should be doing work, however i instead read through this thread, and i would also like to say that i hope your interviews go well and you will be part of the class of 2014.....i've been doing a lot of praying this cycle, and i don't know if you're the religious-type or not but i'm going to save a little spot in my prayers for you....good luck

:thumbup:+1

Thanks castafari punk Lewist02 beck and x! I really appreciate all the positive thoughts and prayers. The first interview at RVU went pretty well. I emailed the admissions director over there to make sure I had a certain rec on file and she replied with an email that was very encouraging:

...At this point it doesn't matter as your interview has already occurred and the evaluations have been completed. The members of the admissions committee will not review letters of recommendation. I will tell you that you interviewed very well. The interviewers as well as our Chairperson for Structural Medicine (includes gross anatomy) feel that you have taken sufficient steps to overcome your anxiety of working with cadavers. Hopefully the admissions committee members will feel the same way. I'll keep pulling for you and will hopefully be talking to you a week from Monday....

So that's probably a good sign right??:xf::xf: I wonder if the chair of structural medicine is on the ad-comm I really hope he/she is!! So I find out Dec 14, which is strangely enough the date of my Touro-NY interview. It's looking like I might get an interview at the new WCU-COM in MS in a couple weeks also... I'll keep you all posted, thanks for reading and pleaes keep that positive energy coming!! :thumbup:

Thanks castafari punk Lewist02 beck and x! I really appreciate all the positive thoughts and prayers. The first interview at RVU went pretty well. I emailed the admissions director over there to make sure I had a certain rec on file and she replied with an email that was very encouraging:

...At this point it doesn't matter as your interview has already occurred and the evaluations have been completed. The members of the admissions committee will not review letters of recommendation. I will tell you that you interviewed very well. The interviewers as well as our Chairperson for Structural Medicine (includes gross anatomy) feel that you have taken sufficient steps to overcome your anxiety of working with cadavers. Hopefully the admissions committee members will feel the same way. I'll keep pulling for you and will hopefully be talking to you a week from Monday....

So that's probably a good sign right??:xf::xf: I wonder if the chair of structural medicine is on the ad-comm I really hope he/she is!! So I find out Dec 14, which is strangely enough the date of my Touro-NY interview. It's looking like I might get an interview at the new WCU-COM in MS in a couple weeks also... I'll keep you all posted, thanks for reading and pleaes keep that positive energy coming!! :thumbup:

I'm so happy for you.:D

Sounds like the RVU interview went VERY well. That's awesome:D

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf: I know... I don't want to jynx myself ... but it's hard not to get excited after reading that email. The idea that this ordeal might actually be going somewhere positive for a change is almost too much for me to deal with! This is going to be the longest week of my life...Keep the positive energy coming, dare I say...it might just work out!!:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Many fingers are crossed for you Bones. You have taken a very proactive approach to your problem, and I wish you all the best. Let us know what goes on. :luck:

Bones, Bones, Bones ... (continues chanting )

Good luck bud.

:soexcited::banana::whoa::thumbup: Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and support through this process. As of tonight I am officially accepted to at least one D.O. program (RVU!) for the class of 2014!!! :soexcited::banana::whoa::thumbup: Will find out about Touro in NYC in 2 weeks, think that interview went pretty well also.

Reactions: 3 users
:soexcited::banana::whoa::thumbup: Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and support through this process. As of tonight I am officially accepted to at least one D.O. program (RVU!) for the class of 2014!!! :soexcited::banana::whoa::thumbup: Will find out about Touro in NYC in 2 weeks, think that interview went pretty well also.

Congrats!

That's great! I'm so happy for you. You really worked hard and earned this acceptance!

Congrats Bones!!! Now, beat it like it owes you money!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...YEA!!!!!!!!!!
:soexcited::highfive::biglove: I'M SO HAPPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

PS. I just screamed like I was the one who got in LOL. I'm really happy for you!!!!!!!!!!! You are SO going to be a bombass doctor.

I've been silently following this thread, and I, too, am very happy for you! :) :D You deserve it.

congrats man.

I've been silently following this thread, and I, too, am very happy for you! :) :D You deserve it.

Ditto...I think the vast majority of SDN has been rooting for you--congratulations :)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:It's been so great to have this supportive network of people behind me during this process THANKS to all of you again!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OMG CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am so happy for you we will graduate in the same year:love::love:

where is RVU I can not find what it stands for I am trying to figure out if i can add you to my free vacation spots LOL :):):):)

Tell all the haters and non believers you did it

where is RVU I can not find what it stands for I am trying to figure out if i can add you to my free vacation spots LOL :):):):)

Rocky Vista U.. Parker, CO

I did it! I hope this gives hope to others in similar situations just work your can off and good things can happen!! :D