Failed out of MERP! Applying again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just failed out of MERP from Ross due to Physio and biochem. I applied to SABA Uni, and was wondering if I should mention about the MERP disaster. Has anyone failed out and applied somewhere else, been up front and has been accepted?

Not sure what to do. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe medicine not for you??? Consider PA school...

Members don't see this ad :)
PA school isn't just for people want don't want to be a doctor. Not to mention on average PA school GPAs are on par with DO/MD school, and almost every PA school requires extensive health care experience hours.

It's unlikely a PA school would consider a student that failed in the Carib. PA school is quite competitive. Nursing school and going the NP route might be a possibility, as BSNs in many states aren't all that competitive.

I wouldn't recommend continuing your pursuit toward being a physician though, not unless you think you're going to suddenly turn your life around and become some sort of super student.

Reactions: 1 user
It's unlikely a PA school would consider a student that failed in the Carib. PA school is quite competitive. Nursing school and going the NP route might be a possibility, as BSNs in many states aren't all that competitive.

I wouldn't recommend continuing your pursuit toward being a physician though, not unless you think you're going to suddenly turn your life around and become some sort of super student.
How would PA schools know OP failed MERP?

How would PA schools know OP failed MERP?
The federal student loan clearinghouse. It has information on every school you ever took a loan out to attend or filled out a FAFSA form for, even if no loan was taken out. It makes it easy to track where a student has been.

http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

If even one program noticed he omitted attendance at Ross and informed CASPA, his application would be revoked and he would be banned from using the service in the future.

The federal student loan clearinghouse. It has information on every school you ever took a loan out to attend or filled out a FAFSA form for, even if no loan was taken out. It makes it easy to track where a student has been.

http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

If even one program noticed he omitted attendance at Ross and informed CASPA, his application would be revoked and he would be banned from using the service in the future.
I just thought they took some kind of private loan...

I just thought they took some kind of private loan...
Most Ross students use federal loans to some degree. If OP used entirely private loans that were obtained outside of filling out a FAFSA, there would be a good chance there was no record of their attendance. But if it ever came to light somehow, say debt collectors contacting the school, since private loans are not deferrable, or he let slip to a student he used to go to Ross and it got back to faculty, he would likely be kicked out of school. Most schools have a zero tolerance policy for lying on applications, and can even go so far as to rescind a granted degree if they so choose.

The point is, lying about something on an application is never a good idea, particularly with something as large as a year of one's life that has left them inundated with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans that your financial aid application will reveal, whether they're public or private. You're basically one person asking one wrong question away from having your life ruined.

Reactions: 1 users
Regardless of good intent I realize this may read mean spirited, but: Someone who struggles that much with prerequisites may not be a strong enough student to do well in an offshore program and step exams is the issue.

OP has to really figure out if continuing along this path (with or without major study habit changes) makes sense. I realize everyone thinks they'll study harder, smarter, get lucky, had a rough month, were homesick, had their period, etc.. but prerequisites are not really that bad compared to medical school content.

PA school, or whatever, is secondary and not for everyone. That being said, I've met tons of 3rd year medical students who wished they'd gone the PA route so things like starting a family and having an income weren't delayed forever.

I might have said this at some point before on this very forum, but if Ross had "MERP'd" me (they were just starting the program when I attended and it wasn't offered when I first matriculated), I'd probably be doing something else with my life right now.

Either you're ready to start medical school. Or, you're not. I don't think doing pre-med like this is a wise move in terms of time, money*, and risk. Do your pre-med at a bona fide U.S. college or university where your credits will apply to some other legitimate degree, if you don't ultimately make it into medical school... somewhere.

Students accepted into this program are not being admitted into medical school, and will not be awarded any kind of degree or credential other than a certificate of completion.

http://www.medschoolprep.com/Course-of-Study.cfm

-Skip

*Although DeVry now guarantees a full refund if you don't pass the course.

Last edited:
CASPA (the PA application portal) asks if you have failed out of a medical school. Also GPA is usually hovering around 3.5 with signifiant medical experience.