Failed Pre-Employment Drug Screen Influence on Med School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hahabobe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would need some input on this since I can find no information online. So I failed the pre-employment drug screen for Michigan Medicine due to micro-dose THC (though I'm prescribed Marijuana for PTSD-associated night terrors and sleepwalking) which was expected since the hospital is federally funded. The agency was HireRight and my screen would last for 1 year aka I can be employed a year later if I pass the drug screen then. I don't know if it is true and wonder if there would be a permanent record on file.

Although my med school application would be filed after that one-year limit, is there any chance the MM admission would see the previous offer retraction or the failed drug screen? Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This falls under the category of being so incredibly specific that unless we are directly associated with the school, there is no way we can give you a confident answer.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if employment actions could ever be discovered in a background check. You should check Certiphi to be certain.
The question does not concern a background check. The question concerns whether Michigan will keep a record of the failed drug test in connection with employment in their system. And the answer is, quite possibly, but no one who is not involved in admissions at Michigan or HR at Michigan Medicine would know for sure whether those records are maintained by Michigan Medicine (highly likely) or accessed by Michigan SOM (who knows, and who knows whether they even do their own drug test pre-matriculation and would care?).

The question does not concern a background check. The question concerns whether Michigan will keep a record of the failed drug test in connection with employment in their system. And the answer is, quite possibly, but no one who is not involved in admissions at Michigan or HR at Michigan Medicine would know for sure whether those records are maintained by Michigan Medicine (highly likely) or accessed by Michigan SOM (who knows, and who knows whether they even do their own drug test pre-matriculation and would care?).
Interestingly the pre-employment test led to immediate termination of my current position (part-time) with the hospital, but they have told me I can apply again in one year, to be exact, and the current drug test would not influence their decision then. So I think they definitely do keep a record of some sort, but then that is with the HR department only since such information is highly confidential. So a better question would be, are the HR departments in general associated with the medical school administrations?