Failed Research Experience ERAS Worthy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for input,

I had tried to start a project with a colleague from a school nearby mine, we had 2 different mentors in the process, the first one we lost contact with over time (he/she was a super busy hospitalist with 2 kids and another one on the way), the second one the same thing happened (not sure what happened here; I had in-person meetings, they were a faculty at my school, we had a solid relationship... they just dropped off the face of the planet as we were sending updates on IRB and developing our research question.)

The project was worked on over the course of about 7 months (we took things kind of slow 'cause there was no rush.) We did the lit review, consulted school librarians for stuff, developed a solid research question that was edited by our two mentors, etc. The only limitation we had was where to get access to the information we needed to perform the actual research. Our first mentor left before we were ready to actually look at some patient charts, my second mentor didn't know how to get access to the info we needed (they had some smaller research projects in the past, but nothing too serious), and my school did not have a way to get the info we needed (no easy access to patient charts.)

Anyways, that's kinda what went down. I think it was a valuable experience at least from my persecutive because I learned more about the research process, getting IRB approval, doing lit review, stuff like that. But, since the project is essentially over because of lack of mentorship and not being able to access patient charts, I'm not sure if it would be worthy of putting on ERAS. The only reason I kinda wanted to put it on my app was to show I tried to pursue some semi-legitimate research in my 3rd year of medical school, and that I would be interested in working on similar smaller research projects in residency, but I don't want to put it in my application if it would be viewed poorly or as "fluff" that lacks actual substance.

Thanks for any feedback!
-NF

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think you should list it.

Reactions: 1 users
I would list it. Why wouldn’t you? Technically it’s “experience” as in you were learning about the process. In my mind there’s a reason there are “experiences” and “publications” listed separately. It still can give you something to talk about. Also if those PIs magically come back to life ya may still work on it. Just because it isn’t published doesn’t mean it isn’t an experience.

why wouldn’t you fill your ERAS app with as much as you reasonably can? Obviously some nonsense volunteering isn’t worthy to list but actively pursuing research and academic pursuits Is much more positive

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on how you would list it in your application. Maybe focus on the IRB approval part and not the actual project. Under research/experience, you can list: "obtained IRB approval for.." The IRB process is long and many students have not experienced the hassle of going through it so I think residency programs like to see when students have have experience going through the IRB process. Regardless of whether you do put this on your application, you should absolutely talk about this experience during your interview and how you learned/grew from it.

Best of luck with your applications!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I think I'm going to list it, thanks everyone!

I figure at best it is a talking point, at worst they'll completely ignore it; might as well list it!