Failed Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LHCF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

LHCF said:
I failed step 1 on my first attempt but fortunately did much better on my second attempt and on step 2. I will also be entering a transitional year residency this July (only applied for transitional programs). Have I ruined all of my chances of matching into dermatology?

In short YES1

You could do a full IM residency then try again for derm. I know one of the IM pple here at Duke did that this past year. Or you could do something like path-->dermatopath.

Members don't see this ad :)
LHCF said:
I failed step 1 on my first attempt but fortunately did much better on my second attempt and on step 2. I will also be entering a transitional year residency this July (only applied for transitional programs). Have I ruined all of my chances of matching into dermatology?

I'll be blunt and honest...that's a major "black eye" on your application...your chances of getting into Derm are LOW. In Derm, programs get to choose the cream from the crop. There are many superstars that have done well in med school and passed their USMLE Step 1 and 2 with flying colors on the first try.

The best way to increase your chances of getting into Derm are:
1. Doing research with well-known faculty
2. Publishing (the more articles, the better)
3. Spending quality time w/ a Derm program (most likely at your home program) and convince them you are "God's gift to Derm".

Consider applying to a Derm fellowship after internship if you do not get accepted into a Derm program. Only do this if you're truly serious about becoming a dermatologist. But even then, there are no guarantees that you'll get in (it's just that crazy competitive). I still recommend applying to a "backup" specialty.

Try looking at the dermboard @ezboard. type dermboard into google and it will come up. you can search multiple fellowship opportunities there. Your chances are very slim of getting into derm, but yours is a case in which you need to get the right people to like you very much to compensate for poor numbers. Spend time with the people who make decisions in the dept, do research (fellowship maybe), write papers and get them published, etc. Remember that if you had to decide between 2 applicants- one a stellar AOA, 270 step 1 from Harvard that you met for 10 minutes, or your best friend who had mediocre scores, grades, etc, but whom you knew and liked tremendously for years, who would you pick?

LHCF said:
I failed step 1 on my first attempt....Have I ruined all of my chances of matching into dermatology?
Yes. Please save yourself mucho trouble and just find another field.

If, for whatever reason, you're still hell-bent on a dermatological practice, you may want to consider FP and carving yourself a derm. niche in your practice.

Strange, but why'd this guy edit/delete his original post? I'll just put it back here for posterity.

"I failed step 1 on my first attempt but fortunately did much better on my second attempt and on step 2. I will also be entering a transitional year residency this July (only applied for transitional programs). Have I ruined all of my chances of matching into dermatology?"

Maybe the OP didn't want it on here. Why post it back again? Besides, you can see what he wrote from the OP replies.