Failed Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overlord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning.

I am a DO student who recently failed the Step 2 CK. Like an idiot, I took the test when I had been up all night sick. During the test I had a huge migraine and brain fog. I couldn't focus. I did not have an opportunity to reschedule as my PE date was fast approaching and travel was already arranged. Obviously, in hindsight I shouldn't have taken it. I did the UWORLD assessment 3.5 weeks out and it was 220. And my UWorld averages were improving (from 60s to high 70s) so I figured I would be fine. I was wrong. I have a 231 Step 1, 597 COMLEX I, and am awaiting Level 2 CE. I have never been so deflated in my life. I feel everything unraveling and all my hard work destroyed. At this point, I am lost. I have received conflicting advice as to what to do. Do I retake the test? Do I not retake and just address this in my PS? Do I only send out COMLEX scores now? Any insight would help. As far as specialties I have always been interested in Rads and GS. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

100% would retake. Best way to show them you know what you're doing is actually showing them you can pass the test, and that the fail was a fluke. I would also address it somewhere else in the ERAS app, but not taking the exam is probably the worst thing you can do. I am only an MS4, but if I were in your situation (and I honestly might be), I would just take it as soon as my reprep was over.