FAILED STEP 2 CS TWICE...HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nistelrooy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i really need your advice concerning the dilemma i find myself. I am a 4th yr AMG who just recently matched into my top choice anesthesia program. I took step 2 CS my first time in ATL, i marginally failed the ICE portion with above average performance in the CIS and SEP portions. I worked hard and practiced everyday for 2 and half weeks. I took it again in philly, i passed the ICE and SEP but failed the CIS in the lower performance range. It really does not make any sense to me, how could my communication skills and the way i interact with patients change so drastically within a short period of time. I am really distraught and frustrated. I have no idea what to do. It is the end of April and i am at a real risk of losing my residency position. I have already sent in a score recheck and written to the NBME. PLS guys, i need some word of advice and encouragement. I am completely lost...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So sorry to hear that! Don't waste your money, It wouldnt come to anything and I can almost guarantee that. I would take a prep course at this point and register for the test again if you're applying now for residency. Lemme know if you have anymore questions.
Yes i applied for this years cycle, i have not gotten any interviews, i think i should withdraw and just prepare for next year because i am a non us img, i need visa and my step 1 score is 241, step 2 is 228. Is there anything you think i can do to boost my application for next year?

Yes i applied for this years cycle, i have not gotten any interviews, i think i should withdraw and just prepare for next year because i am a non us img, i need visa and my step 1 score is 241, step 2 is 228. Is there anything you think i can do to boost my application for next year?
what specialty are you applying for?

Members don't see this ad :)
IM or FM,
For next year i plan to add psych and path
Oh ok! I think you should be good. Two things going against you is your IMG status and CS. But you have good scores. Research is what ppl usually go for in situations like this. You can get an extra degree (MBA or MPH)

Oh ok! I think you should be good. Two things going against you is your IMG status and CS. But you have good scores. Research is what ppl usually go for in situations like this. You can get an extra degree (MBA or MPH)
Yea, i am working on those, thank you so much for your advice.

IM or FM,
For next year i plan to add psych and path
I would not apply to any psych programs, do not waste your money. Psych programs care a lot about CS pass and they prefer only 1 attempt. You already have 2 unsuccessful attempts. If I were you, I will just apply broadly to IM programs next cycle. Good luck!

Just found out that I failed step 2 CS(the ICE portion). I am an AMG with good step 1 and 2 CK scores and have finished interviewing. I am curious to know your experience with programs before match. Did any of the programs ask you for CS scores? I am planning on retaking it asap, but don't think the scores(praying that I pass the second time around) will be available until after rank and possibly match.

Just found out that I failed step 2 CS(the ICE portion). I am an AMG with good step 1 and 2 CK scores and have finished interviewing. I am curious to know your experience with programs before match. Did any of the programs ask you for CS scores? I am planning on retaking it asap, but don't think the scores(praying that I pass the second time around) will be available until after rank and possibly match.
I'm sorry to hear that. I was asked about CS by 1 or 2 programs during the interview but nothing serious. No programs asked about it before rank or match. For some programs, they just wouldn't rank you w/o CS while some would (really hard to know). They never asked and i didnt say anything. I'll just focus on passing it the next time.