Failed Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got the bad news today that I failed step 2 CS, the CIS (communication + interpersonal skills) specifically. I have a good step 1 score (241), very good step 2 ck score (262). i actually have great patient rapport in real life, but i guess for whatever reason exam day didnt reflect that.

anyway, my question is, how much do you think this is going to end up affecting my residency applications to EM and my ability to match? i know i should re-take it ASAP. right now only openings are in December, hopefully some others open up later.

I authorized my USMLE scores to be released to ERAS a week or so ago, before I got this failing score, but I'm guessing that since I haven't actually completed my ERAS application, my step 2 cs score will still end up being sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

Realistically, everyone knows that CS is complete bull****. Remember, all of us attendings had to take it too.

I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll get some questions about it but have a humble-sounding answer ready and with those written scores you should do fine in the match.

Realistically, everyone knows that CS is complete bull****. Remember, all of us attendings had to take it too.

I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll get some questions about it but have a humble-sounding answer ready and with those written scores you should do fine in the match.

I didn't. But I agree with your advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Man, that is really frustrating. Your step scores are more than solid though. What I’d do (if you want to retake it before December), is download the chrome extension “Check for Change.” If you set refresh to like 1 second, it’ll alert you when an opening pops up. It’s really helpful. Keep your head up in the meantime, you’ve got this!

Reactions: 3 users
Man, that is really frustrating. Your step scores are more than solid though. What I’d do (if you want to retake it before December), is download the chrome extension “Check for Change.” If you set refresh to like 1 second, it’ll alert you when an opening pops up. It’s really helpful. Keep your head up in the meantime, you’ve got this!
thanks man, i appreciate it. i might also just use a site like this to find a date, USMLE Step 2 CS Exam Scheduling, only $100 and they refund you $90 if it doesnt work.

i really hope that if i dont get a date in time to get my score back for october interview season, this isn't a giant red flag for residency programs that keeps me from getting interviews.

i appreciate the reassurances of the attendings in this thread, hopefully PD's feel similarly.

thanks man, i appreciate it. i might also just use a site like this to find a date, USMLE Step 2 CS Exam Scheduling, only $100 and they refund you $90 if it doesnt work.

Don't. Listen to the other guy. I used it to reschedule my CS back in the day and you will be amazed how quickly you can snag an opening. People are constantly moving their test dates.

Don't. Listen to the other guy. I used it to reschedule my CS back in the day and you will be amazed how quickly you can snag an opening. People are constantly moving their test dates.
okay you've convinced me, iv installed Firefox just for this haha

You have to be very careful not to fail it the second time. The main thing is making sure you have enough points in each section. If you are running out of time, cut your physical exam short and move on to the next section. Make sure to tell every patient your plan and wash your hands before every encounter.

I believe your USMLE transcript only gets updated when you tell it to so no one will necessarily see that you failed unless you update it. If you've already submitted step 2 CK you could get away with it for a long time definitely until after you pass.

I believe your USMLE transcript only gets updated when you tell it to so no one will necessarily see that you failed unless you update it. If you've already submitted step 2 CK you could get away with it for a long time definitely until after you pass.
I just called ERAS, unfortunately since I haven't actually submitted my application yet, the transcript hasn't been sent out yet, so when it is sent out it will include everything

You have to be very careful not to fail it the second time. The main thing is making sure you have enough points in each section. If you are running out of time, cut your physical exam short and move on to the next section. Make sure to tell every patient your plan and wash your hands before every encounter.
yeah, now that iv gotten a chance to think about it some more i think i treated it too much like a real life EM patient encounter and didn't throw in enough "oh im so sorry this is happening to you" "how has this been affecting your life?" "tell me about your support system" stuff.

but yeah when i retake it i have to make sure that when I do add that stuff in I still address the clinical part adequately because it would be the worst thing in the world to fail it because of the communications and interpersonal skills the first time and then on the clinical part the second time.

the washing hands thing i think i was actually pretty good at because that is something that's very well adhered to at my hospital so it is a habit

When your pass comes through with your second attempt, you'll need to resubmit through ERAS, because it doesn't do so automatically. Also, be sure to collect emails of PDs during interview season so you can email them directly when you get your pass.

Apply to more programs than you think you need to. You will be screened out of some interviews for the CS fail, but not all of them. PM me if you want specific advice on passing the repeat CS. I maxed out my CIS section.

Have a good answer for why you failed that sounds humble and shows you have put thought into how you will pass the repeat CS.

Don't freak out. These things happen. You still have a great chance of matching to a strong program.

Hey everyone, just got the bad news today that I failed step 2 CS, the CIS (communication + interpersonal skills) specifically. I have a good step 1 score (241), very good step 2 ck score (262). i actually have great patient rapport in real life, but i guess for whatever reason exam day didnt reflect that.

anyway, my question is, how much do you think this is going to end up affecting my residency applications to EM and my ability to match? i know i should re-take it ASAP. right now only openings are in December, hopefully some others open up later.

I authorized my USMLE scores to be released to ERAS a week or so ago, before I got this failing score, but I'm guessing that since I haven't actually completed my ERAS application, my step 2 cs score will still end up being sent out.

Talked to our PD for my home program about this and he said that unfortunately because EM is becoming so competitive, most programs are starting to use Step failures as a screening tool. This sucks, but makes sense given the competitiveness of EM, as PDs are overwhelmed by the number of applications they have to sift through. That being said, the best thing you can do in your situation (other than passing CS), is to email the PD of EACH program that you apply to highlighting your strengths and your desire to go to their program (be specific). It's easier for a PD to look at you as a human candidate instead of just board scores if you take the time and effort to make yourself stand out in other ways. Kill your SLOEs, do well on the SVI, and make a concerted effort to get your name in the hands of PDs. I feel for you man; it'll be a long and uncomfortable 4th year, but come Match day if you've done the above, then you'll stand a decent chance of matching. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to our PD for my home program about this and he said that unfortunately because EM is becoming so competitive, most programs are starting to use Step failures as a screening tool. This sucks, but makes sense given the competitiveness of EM, as PDs are overwhelmed by the number of applications they have to sift through. That being said, the best thing you can do in your situation (other than passing CS), is to email the PD of EACH program that you apply to highlighting your strengths and your desire to go to their program (be specific). It's easier for a PD to look at you as a human candidate instead of just board scores if you take the time and effort to make yourself stand out in other ways. Kill your SLOEs, do well on the SVI, and make a concerted effort to get your name in the hands of PDs. I feel for you man; it'll be a long and uncomfortable 4th year, but come Match day if you've done the above, then you'll stand a decent chance of matching. Good luck.
Hmm you think I should email them before I even get offered an interview? you don't think they'd find that annoying?

and okay before I was planning to apply to like 30 programs, should I do like 50 instead?

hopefully my home institution would still take me lol

also i thought that they usually just use step 1 and step 2 ck as filters since not everyone takes CS in time for interviews, but perhaps im wrong. you asked about CS specifically?

Hmm you think I should email them before I even get offered an interview? you don't think they'd find that annoying?

and okay before I was planning to apply to like 30 programs, should I do like 50 instead?

hopefully my home institution would still take me lol

The average person applied to 50 programs last year. I know you have above-average scores on Step 1 and CK, but I would recommend applying broadly. The CS fail is a red flag that may get you screened out, and if you had a bad SLOE on top of that... It could be a real disaster. Applying broadly does result in an arms race, but on an individual level, it's just money and honestly not even all that much money at that!

The average person applied to 50 programs last year. I know you have above-average scores on Step 1 and CK, but I would recommend applying broadly. The CS fail is a red flag that may get you screened out, and if you had a bad SLOE on top of that... It could be a real disaster. Applying broadly does result in an arms race, but on an individual level, it's just money and honestly not even all that much money at that!
Gotcha, yeah and the money is nothing next to the stress and misery (and also money) that would result if I didn't match...

Also, my parents have been helping me out with paying for med school, so I can afford to take out some more loans and pay for whatever is necessary.

I'm starting my away rotation next week, so hopefully I avoid any bad SLOE!

Hey, so I just got my Cs and I failed too. 251 and 263 in step 1 and 2. I'm an IMG, should I wait for the scores of the next attempt to be out ( which could be well into Dec) or submit my application with the fail score and hope for the best. I failed the CIS component.

Hey, so I just got my Cs and I failed too. 251 and 263 in step 1 and 2. I'm an IMG, should I wait for the scores of the next attempt to be out ( which could be well into Dec) or submit my application with the fail score and hope for the best. I failed the CIS component.
Probably submit now and apply broadly. Many places will screen you out but at least you'll know ahead of time and not waste time and money on an interview. My residency had offered almost all interviews by December (scheduled through Feb) so being that late can be just as big of a red flag.

yeah, now that iv gotten a chance to think about it some more i think i treated it too much like a real life EM patient encounter and didn't throw in enough "oh im so sorry this is happening to you" "how has this been affecting your life?" "tell me about your support system" stuff.

These don't necessarily go away in real life EM encounters. Maybe not worded the same, but still.

When your pass comes through with your second attempt, you'll need to resubmit through ERAS, because it doesn't do so automatically. Also, be sure to collect emails of PDs during interview season so you can email them directly when you get your pass.

Apply to more programs than you think you need to. You will be screened out of some interviews for the CS fail, but not all of them. PM me if you want specific advice on passing the repeat CS. I maxed out my CIS section.

Have a good answer for why you failed that sounds humble and shows you have put thought into how you will pass the repeat CS.

Don't freak out. These things happen. You still have a great chance of matching to a strong program.

Hey I really need help with the CIS section, failed it the first time and I'm taking the test again this week.

Hey I really need help with the CIS section, failed it the first time and I'm taking the test again this week.
PM me and I'll do what I can. It's not too late. 24 hours of dedicated studying the right way will make all the difference.

One my classmates matched in an EM program in south FL without it...

how is that even possible? you need it to be licensed. at my med school passing it is a condition of graduating.

I have +260 on step 1 and 2 , i took the exsm.about 2 weeks ago . I had many mistakes, i did not counsel.most of the SP, i tried to show empathy by throwing sorry for this sorry for that, i washed my hands in all encounters except one , i was too nervous to find water cups in one encounter so that the SP could drink . Missed some PE stuff , some SH stuff , or obgyn . Actually am.concerned mostly about the counselling thing? How bad is my situation ? Am.i am risk of failing? I have very solid scores , i have diplomas is medical research , i am working on publications !! I am am.IMG and did observership in the usa . This exam is BS , if am.gonna fail everything will be gone .. for nothing !! Plz help plz

nobody on this forum can tell you if you passed or not, you just have to wait.

These don't necessarily go away in real life EM encounters. Maybe not worded the same, but still.
z

my point is it's totally different in real life than on the exam. i dont say all that stuff in most EM encounters. also in EM i usually interact with the same patient a bunch of times, and dont just step into the room once. it's pretty unnatural to do the H+P and then summarize to the patient and give them your assessment and plan all during the same continuous convo, but of course this is what you have to do an CS. The first time I took it I'm pretty sure I did a lousy job of talking through my diff dx to the pt, the next time I took it I made sure to improve on that. i could see the difference cuz the first time I took it i always had plenty of extra time, sometimes even before the 5 min warning I was done, and the second time I usually finished with about a minute left.

also for anyone who might be reading this thread, i think the Kaplan book is terrific for CIS in a way that other resources aren't. and i almost never even read books.

but hey, i dont even have the results of my second attempt yet, so what do i know.

how is that even possible? you need it to be licensed. at my med school passing it is a condition of graduating.

I failed CS in November, retook it in December. Never submitted my score after it came in and matched. I ostensibly matched with only a step 1 (249). Didn't submit CK or CS because CK came in after I got my failing score on CS. Matched to my 2nd choice. Med school wasn't going to let me graduate until I had a passing score but were ok letting me match without it. Seems like every place does it differently

I failed CS in November, retook it in December. Never submitted my score after it came in and matched. I ostensibly matched with only a step 1 (249). Didn't submit CK or CS because CK came in after I got my failing score on CS. Matched to my 2nd choice. Med school wasn't going to let me graduate until I had a passing score but were ok letting me match without it. Seems like every place does it differently
oh i get what youre saying. no CS score is better than a failing CS score though :/
but yeah im reasonably confident il match

nobody on this forum can tell you if you passed or not, you just have to wait.

She got her result and passed after the match... CS is not a requirement for graduation at my school. Also, I know for a fact that in Texas one can have a training or resident license without CS. I was told it's the same in Wisconsin as well

also for anyone who might be reading this thread, i think the Kaplan book is terrific for CIS in a way that other resources aren't. and i almost never even read books.

but hey, i dont even have the results of my second attempt yet, so what do i know.
How are you planning to apply? Submit this week with a failed transcript or after your score comes out? I'm a US IMG with good scores, ( 251 and 263) but I have no idea how programs are going to respond to my application if I submit next week.

How are you planning to apply? Submit this week with a failed transcript or after your score comes out? I'm a US IMG with good scores, ( 251 and 263) but I have no idea how programs are going to respond to my application if I submit next week.
My EM adviser very strongly said that I should submit eras on sept 15 because waiting until I get my passing score (oct 10 at the earliest, possibly later) would cost me more interviews since theyre usually given out pretty quickly, first come first serve, and to just email any PD's I haven't yet heard from when I do get my passing score. so thats what i did, i submitted a couple days ago. sorry didnt see this earlier, not sure if there's a way to get notifications when theres a new reply on the thread or something.

P.S. I'm a US senior.

slightly worried that so far iv only received an interview invite from my home institution (just today, the place I did my away interviewed me while I was doing the away). but it looks like a lot of the invites will get sent out oct 11, and the earliest i can get my new score is oct 10 (hopefully i get it on that day)

Passed step 2 cs!!! for anyone who was following this thread/cares. super dramatic difference in CIS score:
this first time
upload_2018-10-10_11-4-24.png

vs this second time

upload_2018-10-10_11-4-55.png

Reactions: 12 users

Hey! Really worried I failed step 2 cs, CIS portion. I don't remember if my patient's were actually already draped (so I don't think I actively draped anyone), I didn't counsel any patients on lifestyle changes. I also only sanitized my hands when I entered and not right before the physical exam. What were the mistakes you initially made on CIS that you think made you fail? thanks!

I failed my Step 2, can't remember which one. Think it was the written portion.

Went to an Ivy League residency. Did fine in life. I think I interview well.

You'll do fine! I have no idea how high 262 is, but i have never gotten a 262 on any test on anything in my entire life.

hey so a bunch of people have been messaging me asking for CIS advice, here's what I'm telling people:
"yeah, i took it in philly, although i dont think thats what really did me in. i just didnt do the things youre supposed to do - i think closing the encounter and mutually agreeing to a plan was my biggest weakness. its supposed to take like 3-4 min, the first time around i probably did it in less than 1

buy the kaplan CS book, take notes on the CIS section, read it twice, and relentlessly practice with someone using the practices cases. i video chatted with my fiancee since i was doing an away rotation at the time, but it could really be anyone. shes not a medical person at all"

Also for those curious, i was interviewed while doing my away, and besides for that, my home school is interviewing me, and then i have two outside invites from pretty good places, and one waitlist. it is definitely upsetting since I thought I was a much more competitive applicant than this, and apparently im hearing from one of my classmates that people with lower step 1 and CK scores are getting way more invites than me, but oh well. im also third quartile in class, so I guess that doesn't help either, although I didn't think that would matter too much.

hopefully il get more invites in the coming month

Reactions: 1 users
hey so a bunch of people have been messaging me asking for CIS advice, here's what I'm telling people:
"yeah, i took it in philly, although i dont think thats what really did me in. i just didnt do the things youre supposed to do - i think closing the encounter and mutually agreeing to a plan was my biggest weakness. its supposed to take like 3-4 min, the first time around i probably did it in less than 1

buy the kaplan CS book, take notes on the CIS section, read it twice, and relentlessly practice with someone using the practices cases. i video chatted with my fiancee since i was doing an away rotation at the time, but it could really be anyone. shes not a medical person at all"

Also for those curious, i was interviewed while doing my away, and besides for that, my home school is interviewing me, and then i have two outside invites from pretty good places, and one waitlist. it is definitely upsetting since I thought I was a much more competitive applicant than this, and apparently im hearing from one of my classmates that people with lower step 1 and CK scores are getting way more invites than me, but oh well. im also third quartile in class, so I guess that doesn't help either, although I didn't think that would matter too much.

hopefully il get more invites in the coming month

Thanks! Is this the book you are referring to:

USMLE Step 2 CS Lecture Notes 2018: Patient Cases + Proven Strategies (Kaplan USMLE Step 2 Cs Prep) (Kaplan Test Prep) Second Edition

Thanks! Is this the book you are referring to:

USMLE Step 2 CS Lecture Notes 2018: Patient Cases + Proven Strategies (Kaplan USMLE Step 2 Cs Prep) (Kaplan Test Prep) Second Edition
yeah. edition prob doesnt matter that much, i used the 2018 version i think. theres a google doc out there with the CIS section from the book but you might as well buy it, money well spent in the long run, and the cases it has are prety easy to practice with

Reactions: 1 users
Hey not trying to resurrect a dead thread at all but one or two people who've read this have messaged me to ask me how my match was so i figured I'd give an update. i got fewer interview invites (10 total) than my EM advisor (who is also an APD at my home program) thought I otherwise would have, but I ended up matching at my top choice and basically got all the invites from the programs in the state I was interested in, so it worked out well. They did ask about it at a couple of interviews but it was an easy question to answer. I guess something that also made the season a little less stressful was that the PD at my home program (which ended up being my #3 choice) basically told me that if I wanted to stay there for residency I would be able to.

As for advice for passing CIS, it's really all about that Kaplan CS book. Buy it, make a check list of the things in it that you're missing, and practice cases over and over until you get everything. Having a significant other helped for that last part (and I was doing an away rotation at the time so we did all our practice via video chat) but don't be shy about asking anyone. My wife isn't in medicine at all and was still able to do it.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey not trying to resurrect a dead thread at all but one or two people who've read this have messaged me to ask me how my match was so i figured I'd give an update. i got fewer interview invites (10 total) than my EM advisor (who is also an APD at my home program) thought I otherwise would have, but I ended up matching at my top choice and basically got all the invites from the programs in the state I was interested in, so it worked out well. They did ask about it at a couple of interviews but it was an easy question to answer. I guess something that also made the season a little less stressful was that the PD at my home program (which ended up being my #3 choice) basically told me that if I wanted to stay there for residency I would be able to.

As for advice for passing CIS, it's really all about that Kaplan CS book. Buy it, make a check list of the things in it that you're missing, and practice cases over and over until you get everything. Having a significant other helped for that last part (and I was doing an away rotation at the time so we did all our practice via video chat) but don't be shy about asking anyone. My wife isn't in medicine at all and was still able to do it.
Grats. Welcome to the club bub.

Passed step 2 cs!!! for anyone who was following this thread/cares. super dramatic difference in CIS score:
this first time
View attachment 240700

vs this second time

View attachment 240701
Hey, congrats on everything working out. I just recently got my CS report back and am pretty bummed. I failed the ICE portion. Since you did well both times, would you briefly share your experience with it? For instance, were you able to complete all your physical exams? Did you finish every patient note? etc...I'd really appreciate the help.

PM me and I'll do what I can. It's not too late. 24 hours of dedicated studying the right way will make all the difference.
hey can i message you as well. just found out i didn't pass the CS. Can you help me as well?

Thank you for your advice! Can you please help me with this app - I have downloaded this app recently (it is a Firefox extension), but what text exactly I should highlight to track changes? The problem with step 2 cs calendar is that only color changes in table's cells, not text or numbers... How can I track the exact month in the "drop-out" calendar and the exact color? Thank you! I really need to urgently schedule my Step 2CS!

Thank you for your advice! Can you please help me with this app - I have downloaded this app recently (it is a Firefox extension), but what text exactly I should highlight to track changes? The problem with step 2 cs calendar is that only color changes in table's cells, not text or numbers... How can I track the exact month in the "drop-out" calendar and the exact color? Thank you! I really need to urgently schedule my Step 2CS!
Sorry just saw this. Maybe they changed it this year to avoid this exact strategy, not sure. Last year when I did it the text changed in the table. I guess you just have to spend the day in front of your computer screen hitting refresh? What an awful system. Which reminds me, I have to schedule my Step 3...

As for the person who asked about how to do well on ICE, I'm not sure, I would say that the Kaplan book or First Aid book has good advice. Yeah I was able to finish my physical exams, you should definitely have time for that. Use one of those two books for practice material, and write out a differential diagnosis / which tests you want to order before seeing the answers they give.

Thank you! I am in the exact same situation as you US MD great step 1 and CK but fail on CS. Instead of applying this year, I decided to apply to defer application to fall of 2020 so that when I apply I would have a pass on my USMLE transcript. But I was wondering how many programs did you applied to get 10 interviews? I want to apply Vascular surgery which has similar numbers to EM, just so I have an idea on what to expect. Thanks!