Failed Step 2 need some advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erb erb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a 4th year osteopathic medical student and I just received the bad news: I didn't pass COMLEX step 2 by 1 dang point. I passed part 1 on the second attempt just fine. I just don't test well on the first attempt I believe because of test anxiety. I have tried to deal with this, but maybe I need to take medication prior to the test. any thoughts on this?

I was so upset when I saw my score and I didn't pass: I mean 1 point! I am applying to PM&R residencies, all allopathic except 1 osteopathic. I have received 9 interview invitations, but all of this was done before I received my step 2 comlex score.

What are my chances of matching now, assuming I do retake and pass it? The residency programs who have offered me an interview do not know about my step 2 score because I did not transmit it to them. Do I have any chance of getting into a PM&R residency through the match? Should I even bother to go to these interviews?

Please I am desperate for some advice right now.

I have not taken either part of the usmle . I have already indicated on my application that I took the comlex level 2 this fall, so basically they know I took it but they probably don't think they have my score yet. Should I go to my school on Monday and try and get the sore to not automatically transfer or is this already done. I don't think the comlex exam has this option during the exam, you have to tell your school to do it I believe. Even if I sent out my step 1 can I tell my school not to send out step to at the point until i get a chance to retake the exam?

Another question i have is what is the best time to retake this exam? Should I take it asap in hopes that I pass it and they can get this prior to match? Or at this time there is no chance that they will get a retake score in time to make any difference for match? I have been told by a PD secretary that since my application was complete prior to by comlex score (I had already completed my interview also at this institution) that they would not be updating the file prior to match. But for other places I have interviews with coming up, if they ask about the score what should I do?

Should I retake the exam asap or wait and take as much time as possible to study for the retake and get some help for my test taking anxiety? What is the last possible date to take the exam where they will get it for match? And does it matter if they don't ask me in an interview about it? Should I tell them?

Do I have any chance of getting into an PM&R residency through the match? Should I even bother to go to these interviews?

So sorry if I am rambling, this is just such a blow, I have no idea what to do next. Any advice would be such a help. Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

erb

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I'm a 4th year osteopathic medical student and I just received the bad news: I didn't pass COMLEX step 2 by 1 dang point. I passed part 1 on the second attempt just fine. I just don't test well on the first attempt I believe because of test anxiety. I have tried to deal with this, but maybe I need to take medication prior to the test. any thoughts on this?

I was so upset when I saw my score and I didn't pass: I mean 1 point! I am applying to PM&R residencies, all allopathic except 1 osteopathic. I have received 9 interview invitations, but all of this was done before I received my step 2 comlex score.

What are my chances of matching now, assuming I do retake and pass it? The residency programs who have offered me an interview do not know about my step 2 score because I did not transmit it to them. Do I have any chance of getting into a PM&R residency through the match? Should I even bother to go to these interviews?

Please I am desperate for some advice right now.

I have not taken either part of the usmle . I have already indicated on my application that I took the comlex level 2 this fall, so basically they know I took it but they probably don't think they have my score yet. Should I go to my school on Monday and try and get the sore to not automatically transfer or is this already done. I don't think the comlex exam has this option during the exam, you have to tell your school to do it I believe. Even if I sent out my step 1 can I tell my school not to send out step to at the point until i get a chance to retake the exam?

Another question i have is what is the best time to retake this exam? Should I take it asap in hopes that I pass it and they can get this prior to match? Or at this time there is no chance that they will get a retake score in time to make any difference for match? I have been told by a PD secretary that since my application was complete prior to by comlex score (I had already completed my interview also at this institution) that they would not be updating the file prior to match. But for other places I have interviews with coming up, if they ask about the score what should I do?

Should I retake the exam asap or wait and take as much time as possible to study for the retake and get some help for my test taking anxiety? What is the last possible date to take the exam where they will get it for match? And does it matter if they don't ask me in an interview about it? Should I tell them?

Do I have any chance of getting into an PM&R residency through the match? Should I even bother to go to these interviews?

So sorry if I am rambling, this is just such a blow, I have no idea what to do next. Any advice would be such a help. Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

erb

I think you should definitely go ahead with the interviews. I would schedule the repeat step 2 AFTER the match - especially if anxiety is a component of what led to your failure. If asked, I would be honest. There's no point in trying to hide it and lying will make them question your character.

At this point, there's nothing you can do to change your score. I would accept it and try to go through the interviews with as much confidence and passion as possible. Don't let it effect you so much that you come across as insecure or even worse defensive. I think you can still match. If you are concerned, you may want to consider applying to more lower tiered programs to improve your chances. (it's not too late if you do it NOW)

I would have a good explanation and definitely pursue professional help. You could also consider taking a review course if one exists. (Sorry, dont know about Comlex) Just look like you have accepted the test score, done some self-analyzing, and have come up with several solutions to your situation. That way, you look mature and responsible. Try to highlight the positive stuff on your application to try to make up for this. Once you get the interviews, it really comes down to your personality and how you "fit" in.

If the PD is concerned about you being able to pass step 3 or the PM&R boards, tell him/her what kind of strategies you plan on pursuing.

Good luck:luck:

WOW, thank you so very much for your quick response, I just can't thank you enough for your words of advice.

I have one question, you said:

"you may want to consider applying to more lower tiered programs to improve your chances."

Do you mean lower tiered PM&R programs? or some other speciality all together? I am really not interested in doing anything else. I just feel PM&R is what I was born to do.

Thank you again for your advice, it really is helpful.

erb

WOW, thank you so very much for your quick response, I just can't thank you enough for your words of advice.

I have one question, you said:

"you may want to consider applying to more lower tiered programs to improve your chances."

Do you mean lower tiered PM&R programs? or some other speciality all together? I am really not interested in doing anything else. I just feel PM&R is what I was born to do.

Thank you again for your advice, it really is helpful.

erb

I meant other PM&R programs. I would expand your list of programs to include those you may not have considered before just to increase your chances of matching in PM&R.