Failed Step 3 for Second Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

step3sucks2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my score back yesterday, and failed with a 183. Failed 6 months ago with a 169. I'm so crushed right now.

I'm american trained and passed both step 1 and 2 on the first try.
After failing my first attempt I took about 3.5 months off, then read MTB again, did all of Uworld(averaged low 50%), took the DIT online course, and reviewed the CCS cases on Uworld.

I've always been slow on the step exams, but I only ran out of time on one section where I had to put random answers for the last 3-4 questions on this exam. I did have to rush through the last 3-4 in every other section though.

At this point I don't know what to do :(. I've put everything in my life/residency on hold for this exam and I don't know if I'll ever pass it :'(.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry to hear that. When you say that you passed step 1 and 2 on the first try, it means that you CAN pass this test. Does it appear that the MCQ got you or was it the CCS? Is it one section that you were low on or was it all around? Also, are you in a residency program right now? How are you able to have taken 3.5 months off?

I'm really sorry to hear that. When you say that you passed step 1 and 2 on the first try, it means that you CAN pass this test. Does it appear that the MCQ got you or was it the CCS? Is it one section that you were low on or was it all around? Also, are you in a residency program right now? How are you able to have taken 3.5 months off?

It looks like it was mostly the MCQ. The CCS was borderline (shaded area) and to the left (worse) on the first try, and borderline and to the right (better) on the second try.

MCQ wise it seems like everything was borderline or worse except for Behavioral health and Musculoskeletal which were above borderline, and Renal/Male reproductive and Pregnancy/female reproductive which were very poor performance with asterisks.

I am in a residency program right now. By 3.5 months off, I meant off from studying for the test. I was just focusing on my residency etc...

Thanks for the support :)

Do Uworld step 2 again and build up your question answering stamina.

Uworld step 3 again

Archer videos. UWORLD software isn't like the real exam and you'll lose a lot of time trying to order everything and the kitchen sink following their examples of how a perfect case should have gone. The actual software runs very quickly and will not allow you to artificially slow down a case by holding off on ordering the definitive test/examination.

Uworld CCS

NBME exams to get a feel. IMO, day two was about the difficulty level of the free step 2 CK FRED exam.

I thought the Fischer CCS book was good. Also, reviewed my notes written in the margins of FA while studying for step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do Uworld step 2 again and build up your question answering stamina.

Uworld step 3 again

Archer videos. UWORLD software isn't like the real exam and you'll lose a lot of time trying to order everything and the kitchen sink following their examples of how a perfect case should have gone. The actual software runs very quickly and will not allow you to artificially slow down a case by holding off on ordering the definitive test/examination.

Uworld CCS

NBME exams to get a feel. IMO, day two was about the difficulty level of the free step 2 CK FRED exam.

I thought the Fischer CCS book was good. Also, reviewed my notes written in the margins of FA while studying for step 2.

Do you really think doing UWorld Step 2 again will help? It seems like a great idea, but I don't know if it's the best usage of time as it is a large commitment.

You found the Archer videos and Fischer book useful? I've heard good things about the Archer videos.

Thanks so much for your response.

Do you really think doing UWorld Step 2 again will help? It seems like a great idea, but I don't know if it's the best usage of time as it is a large commitment.

You found the Archer videos and Fischer book useful? I've heard good things about the Archer videos.

Thanks so much for your response.

UWorld step 2 will be great for practice and revising simple crap you've forgotten. It also has a few questions framed in a simple way to test guidelines. It will also give you a little time to forget UWorld step 3.

Fisher is just a little more streamlined, in terms of some direction. I looked at it, and other books, but found it to have the most rationale behind workups.

I just feel people who do Archer get more value out of the UWorld CCS. UWorld feedback after cases makes it look like you're always supposed to do everything. There isn't time to do everything. The videos would have benefitted from better (or any) production. They can also be frustrating to people accustomed to organized didactics. You'll also think they're terrible until doing cases and seeing how different it is with some direction and thought process to approach cases. The videos are helpful, very helpful. I've never once heard someone say they're incredibly done or pretty like DIT.

I am sorry to hear that. your score is getting better on the 2nd trial so don't give up. try to study more of biostats, there are many biostats questions in the exam. read Master of the board 3, UW ccs, try mapping ccs very good for ccs.. good luck

Yeah, it's hard I can imagine to remember a lot of the clinical stuff after being away from it for a while.

You're improving. Rinse and repeat kind of like they mentioned above.

Hello step3sucks2, how did your re attempt score turn out? What study methods materials you use? Thanks man

Hello step3sucks2, how did your re attempt score turn out? What study methods materials you use? Thanks man
Haven't taken it again yet. Have just started studying again. I'm going with the Uworld Step 2 approach. Was planning to take it in March but may have to delay it some more...

Reactions: 1 user
Step3sucks2, did you get through the exam w pass result by now? Hopefully yes, surely you did...How did you approach the exam, the same? Or if no, what did you change? keep us posted

Last edited: