Failed Step2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lylengeit8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm an osteopathic medical student striving to obtain a ACGME approved anesthesiology residency. Unfortunately, I found out that I failed step 2ck. My step 1 score was only average 208. I have passed all COMLEX part so graduating is not an issue.

I applied to many many programs including AOA internships.

My question is when should I retake Step2? The last thing I want to do is rush it and do poorly again. Currently, I'm planning on taking it in mid ot late January. I'm thinking that if I take it then the results should be back in March and so when I have to scrabble the score is avaliable. Is this reasonable? What do programs look at in the scramble?

Anyone here scrambled sucessfully for an anesthesia spot? What happened? Phone interview?

In need of some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Before we get ahead of ourselves.... Most important question: Are you releasing the score to ERAS? Is it set to auto release?

2nd: Have you received any interview offers yet, and how widely did you apply?

As far as scrambling into anesthesia, I hear its really tough. Last year the match rate was 97.4% meaning only 2.6% of the spots went unfilled. Its a common practice these days for students to apply to a lot programs, and programs offering a lot of interviews to make sure there are no unfilled spots. From what I was told, your best shot at getting a spot is the initial match. Scrambling or trying to get in after intern/another specialty is extremely difficult especially if you don't have a stellar application to back it up.

You can do as you please but if I were you, this is what I would do:
1) DO NOT publish your USMLE step 2 results.
2) Apply very widely while avoiding the more elite programs (chances are they won't take you so your better off spending the cash on programs you have a decent shot).
3) Apply for prelim med spots. Worst case scenario is you match at one of these and don't match in anesthesia. Prelim med is much easier to match.

If you can't hide your step 2 results, then you may be in trouble. I'm not saying its impossible, but I would def. dual apply for less competitive residencies (Neurology/Medicine/Psych/FP ect.) and put those lower on the rank list. If your gung hoe on anesthesia, you might have to jump through some major loops to finally score a spot, that is if you can't hide your results.

Thanks for your reply. I have released my USMLE score prior to having my step 2 results. I was under the impression that as long as I don't re-release my score the programs would not see my step 2 score. (no I did not do the automatic release). Just yesterday I was calling some programs to express my interest when one program asked me, "so when are you planning on re-taking step 2?" I was like OH ****! I guess once you release your USMLE score once, they will have access to ALL your scores not matter what (in my opinion the automatic release thing is just a trick).

Anyways, I applied to approx 36 residencies mostly community or community with university affiliation. 13 ACGME transition year 13 AOA internship spots.

No anesthesia interview requests yet.

So...I'm stuck

I don't mind jumping through some hoops as long as I know what I need to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I'm an osteopathic medical student striving to obtain a ACGME approved anesthesiology residency. Unfortunately, I found out that I failed step 2ck. My step 1 score was only average 208. I have passed all COMLEX part so graduating is not an issue.

I applied to many many programs including AOA internships.

My question is when should I retake Step2? The last thing I want to do is rush it and do poorly again. Currently, I'm planning on taking it in mid ot late January. I'm thinking that if I take it then the results should be back in March and so when I have to scrabble the score is avaliable. Is this reasonable? What do programs look at in the scramble?

Anyone here scrambled sucessfully for an anesthesia spot? What happened? Phone interview?

In need of some advice.

as far as retaking Step 2, take it when you feel comfortable enough with the material to pass. January doesn't seem unreasonable.

as far as matching, I'd go over to the ERAS and NRMP match forum and ask aProgramDirector. Or PM him. Get some advice from someone who makes the big decisions on residency applicants.

For the USMLE scores this is how it works:

Whatever scores are available at the time of releasing the transcript, those are the scores that are shown. If you set to update the scores, then whenever new results are available, they get automatically uploaded.

If residencies can already see your scores, chances are you uploaded your USMLE results when the step 2 results were already present. Try contacting ERAS and see if they can offer any assistance to see what scores were released. A 208 from DO may be tough w/ failed step 2 results. I'm not trying to crush your dreams, I really do hope you the best but you may have a very tough time matching. Sorry if I am being brutally honest but its for the best. Its better than a "everything will be OK" and end up screwing yourself in the end.

What you can do now:
1) Apply to even more programs especially lower teir ones.
2) Call various programs to see where you stand.

You have 2 choices:
1) Try to match in only anesthesia. If not, match in prelim program that has an anesth residency as well, really get to know the anesthesiologists and do research with them meanwhile seeking openings for PGY1 spots. Try the match process all over next year with an emphasis on that home program and advanced positions (as opposed to catagorical).
2) Dual residency apply to something less competitive. If you match in anesthesia great, if you don't you'll have something to fall back on. (this is probably what I would do if I was in your shoes but again its really up to you).

As far as step 2, the earlier you can take it, the better off you are. I think going into interviews saying I passed it the 2nd time around is 10x better than telling the PDs you scored a 220+ well after the interview process. But again, this is opinion not fact. Whatever you do, don't fail it again.. then you'll really be doomed.

I appreciate the honesty, and thanks for the advice.

i disagree with the previous posters outlook, too bleak, no need to apply to different specialties you will match somewhere in anesth if your location is flexible

just as a random example:
maimonedes, nymc, i think both would take someone with 208, DO.
These are the kind of programs you should look for, dont know if you are an east-coaster.

these smaller, less known programs would prefer a US DO with more or less respectable stats to not filling/other alternatives. the failed step 2 ck thing i feel like they wouldnt care about, its not mgh you are talking about they just want someone to do a good job, and in the end you will probably get good training at both of those places.

i would hope that anyone reading apps realizes that ck is way less serious than step 1. i would just be open about it, "i am studying right now to take it again" and i would actually study for a couple weeks and take it again and aim for >210. just do the online USMLE World ?s and read one review book, then take it and realize its an easy test you just have to pick the simple answer in most cases to show you or more or less not dangerous.

i do agree with applying to prelim medicine and ranking them beneath your anesth programs, that way even if you do get into a program, if you dont like that prog or didnt match and something else opens up next year you can jump into it

but i would think from some of the places i have interviewed at, there ARE progs out there that would take 208, DO from US DO school with otehrwise good record, get good letters, etc

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Currently I am studying to retake step II planning on Jan. (My thought processes is that this gives me enough time to study, also during the interview trail I can say that I'm retaking it, without risk of another poor score, and lastly if I do need to scramble the scores should be available by then.)

I have applied to Maimonides, which NYMC program are you referring to?
(NYMC at St.Vincent's, or at Westchester)

I have applied to prelim progams as well.

As an update, I have not heard of any anesthesiology interview requests NOR interview rejections.

I have 2 prelim interview requests and 1 prelim rejection.

Thanks.

BTW, Does anyone have any advice for interview preparation? I have done research online and have a list of commonly asked questions, but I hoping for some first hand feedback.