Failed to match, going GMO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treehun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I failed to match and now I’m going army GMO. Does anyone have recommendations for study material, power points, documents ...anything to prepare me so I am not a soup sandwich?
I don’t wanna go from clueless intern to clueless GMO

Hooah.

Members don't see this ad.

Podcasts I think are the most realistic option. You'll have more time as a GMO, but the brain-drain of stupid **** you have to deal with all day is pretty real. If you can, working with other physicians that are board cert'd would be helpful so you can bounce ideas

Members don't see this ad :)
What specialty did you apply for? And if you don't mind, what was your Step 1 score?

Knee and ankles if your with the grunts. Throw in an occasional shoulder for the over 40 crowd. Back pain is always a constant complaint.

I was a battalion surgeon in Afghanistan, and a brigade surgeon in an airborne infantry unit, after derm residency. Here’s some advice on how to thrive in the line environment, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I’m assuming you’re O3.

You are no longer a doctor. You are, but really you’re just another staff officer. Also, you’re another dirty captain, most of whom are about to get out of the Army. The BN commander sees you all the same until you prove yourself useful, committed, and humble enough to take instruction. Do not bother or approach the CO until told to do so by the XO, as below.

Find the battalion XO (executive officer, a major) your first day, and ask for time on their calendar. Show them respect and genuine interest in what they want for the unit, and ask how you can help accomplish those goals. Ask for time to figure out how to get there, and for a second date to sit down a month later or so, to go over your progress and any changes in emphasis that need to be made. They may (sometimes) not seem intelligent in the way you’re used to, but they know the army, and can tell you what the unit needs to succeed. Ask for the battle rhythm, what meetings you are expected to be at, and which ones you can benefit from. There’s the bare minimum you should go to, and then there’s the rest of what happens that affects you. “If you aren’t at the table, you’re on the menu.” If you aren’t there when your role comes up, someone will make promises and decisions on your behalf.

Next stop, BN CSM. Ask what the soldiers need to succeed. How can you make that happen, what obstacles have they seen in the way? It’ll usually be something like “the hearing booth won’t see us when we need it”, or “every time someone goes to sick call they get deadlined for a week”. Absorb it, don’t explain or excuse, just sit there and let them vent. Say you’ll do everything you can to fix those issues. Mean it.

Find the battalion PA. Tell them you value their experience and knowledge, and that you’re there to empower and enable them. Use your fund of knowledge when you need to, don’t lord it over the PA as the only element of superiority you have. This person can make your life immensely easier or harder, your choice.

Find your MEDO (usually a 2LT or 1LT MSC officer). This is the person who talks medical to the commander and XO on a regular basis, and who they think is the doctor, not knowing the difference at all, or maybe just not caring. This is the person who sums up your work on a slide, and can be taught what can or cannot happen within realistic timelines. Don’t let them speak for you ignorantly.

Find your senior medic(s). Pretty much same approach as with the PA, stressing the value of their experience and how you hope to learn from them. They vaguely understand that you know a lot of hospital medicine, but hope you are there to get soldiers back in the fight.

Attend every command and staff meeting. Get to know the company commanders and first sergeants, ask them what they need from you. Take notes, ask questions, FOLLOW UP.

Now that you have met your battalion level command and medical team, go find the brigade surgeon who has been wondering why you have been avoiding him/her. If they ask/joke about it, explain that you needed to feel out your command and see how you can drive readiness on that side. Brig surg will be impressed with your drive and organizational intelligence. Most of your counterparts will spend the first week on house hunting leave bellyaching about their household goods not showing up and where they can keep their dog because on-base lodging doesn’t allow dogs wah wah wah. Feel free to take house hunting leave, but use the time off to feel out who people are and what needs to be done, so you show up actually able to do meaningful work on your first full day.

Make sure you are fully credentialed with the hospital BEFORE YOU ARRIVE. Otherwise you are a useless staff officer who can’t even do doctor stuff. Your XO would do well to put you on managed (forced) leave until you are credentialed and able to see patients, because everyone knows well in advance of arrival that this needs to be done, but half of them show up playing dumb so they can do less work. This is the same half who will hate their entire time there because everyone is mean to them and the Army tricked them, etc. Complainers love to complain and shirk. Don’t be one.

Use your rank and knowledge to enable your juniors. Whatever credibility and goodwill you build with those above you, ask to spend it on favors for those below. “Hey boss, the field exercise is over in two days, the aid station is down to tailgate only, can I let half my bubbas go home early? I’ll still be here until we’re done.”

If someone senior to you asks you to do something, make something, or change something, no matter how stupid or impossible, YES is the immediate answer.

Explain to them later, after you’ve had time to explore the options/alternatives, why their idea would not work. They’ll love the deference and the thought you put into it.

This also applies to senior NCOs, though you can be more direct, especially if they’re out of line.

Reactions: 4 users
That is amazing advice. Really detailed. Also makes me so &@&king happy I’m out because it all sounds horrible.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I enjoyed my GMO time too. It wasn’t until later that I really understood how little I knew. The advice above is great for succeeding as an officer. But don’t forget you’re a doctor. The PA isn’t a doctor. The medics aren’t doctors. They will all believe that every patient is a shirker. Some are but buried among them will be real disease and if you become jaded, you’ll miss it. Your PA and medics miss it. You shouldn’t let on that you feel superior but you are the doctor.

See all the “sick call commandos” yourself. Go to the line and pull them out. This will keep the fakers in check and give you the chance to make sure they aren’t actually sick.

In a couple years, I saw:
New onset DM1 in DKA
Colon cancer twice
Acute MI
A “sick call commando” with chronic abdominal pain. Turned out to be a missed ruptured appy sent out by my IDC. Ended up needing a ileocecectomy.
and a bunch of other stuff...

Just keep your clinical suspicion high. You’re undertrained so overcompensate

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much guys.

What is a typical day like? Will I have more Time with family then as an intern ? Will I get to go to cool places? do I have to do PT with the unit ??

In a couple years, I saw:
New onset DM1 in DKA
Colon cancer twice
Acute MI
A “sick call commando” with chronic abdominal pain. Turned out to be a missed ruptured appy sent out by my IDC. Ended up needing a ileocecectomy.
and a bunch of other stuff...

Just keep your clinical suspicion high. You’re undertrained so overcompensate

Can't emphasize this enough. People will make noise about how your unit is mostly young, healthy, pre-screened, physically fit, active people. But when you've got 1000 or 1500 of them, there is ALWAYS real pathology out there. When I was a GMO:

An esophageal adenocarcioma. Young guy (19? 20?) presented with a cough. Initially thought it was just a little NSAID gastritis.

ALL. Marine presented with weight loss and fatigue mid-deployment to Afghanistan. EVERYBODY had lost weight and was tired hiking up and down those mountains. I blew it off, saw him at followup 3 weeks later, and he had palpable supraclavicular nodes.

Two testicular cancers. (OK, so that's not surprising in an all-male Marine infantry battalion.)

Those cases were caught. I wonder to this day what didn't get caught. In retrospect, I think I did a lousy job in the mental health arena. It's a big ask to expect someone with a couple months of psych as a med student and intern to tease out mental health issues less obvious than SI and annoying-but-not-usually-life-threatening cluster B personality disorders.

I also got cornered into doing some things way out of my lane for local nationals who were denied coalition casevac to our role 2 and 3 sites, because there just wasn't anyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much guys.

What is a typical day like? Will I have more Time with family then as an intern ? Will I get to go to cool places? do I have to do PT with the unit ??
Extremely variable.

Yes, you'll probably have more family time. In garrison, when not doing deployment workups, GMO-land is mostly a M-F 0700-1600 job. With every federal holiday stretched into a 96. Plus usually a half-day leading into it. No weekends, no call. Field exercises obviously aren't bankers' hours. Pre-deployment workups can be more exhausting than the actual deployment.

Cool places? Maybe. War zones are always interesting. It's an experience you'll remember and mostly likely a time you'll be proud of.

Generally, you can join unit PT if you like. Unit-wide PT events are not a daily event though. Usually it's medical doing something together, and platoons/companies off doing something by themselves. It's a good idea to at least participate sometimes. I wasn't expected to be there all the time, and I usually wasn't. But they will like it if you do. Of course, they will "like you" if you do all sorts of things that aren't really your job, strictly speaking. Be wary of doing things just to be "liked" and to show what a good officer you are. You're a doctor first, second, and third, then an officer.

People will also tell you you're an officer first, or that being an officer is just as important as being a doctor. This is Kool-Aid saturated bull****. Don't drink it. They have plenty of officers. They need a doctor, not a medical corps doofus who thinks he's at adventure summer camp. That said, it's easy to be a good officer while placing medical duties first. Just don't get carried away trying to show them what a good officer you are to the detriment of doing the right doctor things.

Reactions: 2 users
@pgg is exactly right that being a good officer is easy. They have incredibly low expectations of us.

I think it’s easy to get a middle block on your OER. Tougher, and requires more than solid clinical knowledge, to get the commander to trust you and take your advice seriously. Depends on what you want out of it. I’m assuming OP has good clinical sense, and want to prepare him/her for the transition to the line environment. The more junior medical
corps officers we have out there thriving on the line, rather than merely surviving, the better off we are as a corps, and the more say we have in our own future.

I think it’s easy to get a middle block on your OER. Tougher, and requires more than solid clinical knowledge, to get the commander to trust you and take your advice seriously. Depends on what you want out of it. I’m assuming OP has good clinical sense, and want to prepare him/her for the transition to the line environment. The more junior medical corps officers we have out there thriving on the line, rather than merely surviving, the better off we are as a corps, and the more say we have in our own future.

Don't get me wrong - my contention is simply that junior medical corps officers CAN "thrive" on the line without buying into the officer-first-last-and-always nonsense.

Yes, you've got to get the paperwork right, but it's funny, I had a conversation with my current XO a couple weeks ago. (I'm deployed right now; he's a line officer.) He was remarking that junior officers all diligently ask him things like "what can I do to be your #1 lieutenant" when it comes time for ranking FITREPs. And his answer is always just "do your job well and all that stuff will settle out fine". So what's a GMO's job? Again, it's to be a doctor. They have enough officers on the line side.

There's a large amount of medically-related administrative work and supervision that must be done, and done well. No denying that.

I'm the OIC of the medical detachment so yes, there's a lot of purely administrative work, and I go to a bunch of staff meetings. But I would never even consider giving the slightest bit of lip service acquiescence to doing something or prioritizing something simply for the purpose of "getting the commander to trust me and take my advice seriously". I'm a goddamn doctor and if I make a recommendation based on my doctorly judgment, the CO can ignore me (at his risk and peril). Guess what? They don't because COs don't get to be COs by being stupid.

Want to be respected by the CO? Do your job, and remember that your job is to be a doctor.

And in any case, no O3 GMO should really care about their FITREP (aka OER for unlucky Army people), so long as it's not actively adverse. Promotion to O4 is 100% if you're not fat or a felon. Selection to inservice GME by the GMESB hinges on grades, board scores, LORs, research ... PDs don't care what some line commander said about attendance at company PT or any of that other crap, so long as there are no truly red flags. (And a PD who does is not one you want to work for.)

Just do your job. Be a good doctor, do the officer stuff that's necessary without pretending to love it, or "leaning forward" to get recognized as one o' the guys. If you genuinely enjoy it, great! (I mostly loved my GMO time with Marine infantry, back in the day.) You don't have to pretend, though. If a conflict arises, you're doctor first and don't ever be afraid to remind your CO of exactly that.

Reactions: 3 users