failing a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here in there senior year, accepted to dental school, and borderline failing? It is pretty embarrasing, but happening to me in one of my classes. Any advice on what to do? I'm not partying, I'm just taking an insane schedule...stupid on my part, and my major. I meet with the professor Monday...how understandable do you think he'll be? I'm very worried...f'ing genetics. :(

Members don't see this ad.

dexadental said:
Anyone here in there senior year, accepted to dental school, and borderline failing? It is pretty embarrasing, but happening to me in one of my classes. Any advice on what to do? I'm not partying, I'm just taking an insane schedule...stupid on my part, and my major. I meet with the professor Monday...how understandable do you think he'll be? I'm very worried...f'ing genetics. :(

Retake genetics over. you should really know the subject before getting in dental school.

This situation isn't just embarrassing, its pretty scary if the school decided to take back the acceptance invitation. If you are already accepted into a dental program somewhere you better be darn sure you pass this class. No IFS, ANDS, or BUTTS about it. Consider summer school to be a last ditch effort to pass but if you fail a course but pretend like this isn't an option. Buckle down, study hard, and get at least a C in the course. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
tinman831 said:
This situation isn't just embarrassing, its pretty scary if the school decided to take back the acceptance invitation. If you are already accepted into a dental program somewhere you better be darn sure you pass this class. No IFS, ANDS, or BUTTS about it. Consider summer school to be a last ditch effort to pass but if you fail a course but pretend like this isn't an option. Buckle down, study hard, and get at least a C in the course. :)

Since it's mid-April and most seniors graduate around early to mid-May, I am assuming he has, at the least, one more exam and a final to make this happen. If he is really failing (borderline D/F) he has a shot at a C if he rocks his last regular exam (nothing less than a 85) and ace the final. But if you're riding that slow pony into F land, you have to get nothing but A's on everything from here on out.

This is why most dental schools would prefer an applicant have their BS before applying. I have no doubt that they would yank that acceptance from you if you showed up at their doorsteps with an F in that class. As others have stated, it is an important course. It's always good to have a back up plan and I agree with the last reply that you need to have a summer course in place as your contingency plan. Good luck. You know what you have to do. :luck:

dexadental said:
If you feel you can at least make a C in the class go for it! If not, you might want to see if they will let you drop the class so that you can retake it in the summer. I know it's kind of late but you never know. PLEASE do not fail the class because it may cost you your acceptance. Good luck!

You should have stayed with Wayne bro!
Good luck at Nova!
-C

dexadental said:

Again none of us are on the commitee at NOVA... best information is to get straight from the horses mouth. Call Nova and tell them your situation. OF course your genetics teacher could be understanding or a complete mother-pucker.

HD

Thanks for the advice guys, hope it all works out, I meet with him tomorrow and he seems pretty understanding...drop add ended last Friday so I have no choice...but I will call Nova and let them know whats going on...they'll notice how big of a science load I'm taking. Once again, thanks.

hockeydentist said:
Again none of us are on the commitee at NOVA... best information is to get straight from the horses mouth. Call Nova and tell them your situation...

Good advice. Genetics isn't crucial to your dental education so I wouldn't sweat it if you aren't understanding some deep mystery of the TFII Beta family. That grade, though, is something to sweat about. It would be worse if this was a pre-req, but an F is an F and I'd certainly follow HD's advice and call NOVA, meet with your professor, and hit those books so as to salvage your score. Best of luck!

dexadental said:
Thanks for the advice guys, hope it all works out, I meet with him tomorrow and he seems pretty understanding...drop add ended last Friday so I have no choice...but I will call Nova and let them know whats going on...they'll notice how big of a science load I'm taking. Once again, thanks.

Dexa I remember u were talking about genetics being difficult last semester. Maybe this is Genetics 2?

greenday said:
Dexa I remember u were talking about genetics being difficult last semester. Maybe this is Genetics 2?

No, I think he was failing two other courses back then (physics lecture and lab):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=206655
"I just bombed my first physics test, after studying a bunch for it. I feel like I can't do this stuff, or thaty I can only do it after I do a problem and see the solution. I had my formula sheet and everything, it was just downright crazy hard. What do I do? I don't want this to mess up my GPA,m but luckily its stellar enough to not have a HUGE impact...but this class is 4 credits. Will dental schools care if I can pull a B or a C. I used to like physics...but this stuff is hard!"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=225326
"So I am thinking about dropping physics 2 lab, but our drop add period is over and will now have to pettition the class, meaning I run the risk of getting a W on my transcript. I talked to the advising people and the lab instructor and they told me I have a good chance of dropping it, considering it actually started two days after drop/add. I don't want to get the W considering I just applied but also need more time to study for this upcoming retake of my DAT. So what should I do? It is only a one credit lab but the thing that really sucks is that its at 7:25 in the morning! I'm not sure what to do...I did get the petition filled out, wrote out my explanation and everything, just haven't turned it in yet....any advice?"

Good Luck with everything bro. I hope everything works out for you. :luck:

I stayed in physics 2 and physics 2 lab, made a B+ and an A in the lab. I did drop genetics last fall and am retaking it right now...a long with a heavy schedule...lots of sciences and its tough, but I should get through it. Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to pass. :)

Met with the professor today and hes a really nice guy...seemed like he was going to do everything in his power to help me pass the class...basically told me I can do it...if I ace this paper...now back to work! :laugh:

Just curious, what other science classes are you taking with genetics this semester?