Failing a Research P/F Class

Started by Diirez
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Diirez

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am having a bit of trouble.

I took a research gig that turned out to be completely opposite of what they originally made it out to be (marketed as a clinical research position and turned into just data entry) but I figured I would just push through it for the semester and make use the experience to network. Unfortunately, it was extremely unorganized and a significant (emphasis on this part) amount of work that needed to be done. As a result the semester was a fluke and I couldn't get much work done so I felt forced to do it again for another semester.

My problem is I didn't plan ahead and probably will not be able to finish it so I am expecting for it to come up as a failure on my transcript, in research of all things.

Will this be a kiss of death on grad school applications?
 
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Was this a job, a class, some kind of internship, or what?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My problem is I didn't plan ahead and probably will not be able to finish it so I am expecting for it to come up as a failure on my transcript, in research of all things.

Will this be a kiss of death on grad school applications?

Perhaps not kiss of death, but definitely a red flag and not a point in your favor.

By your own admission, your behavior played a role in this outcome. Have you talked to your professor about your grade and whether there is anything you can do to resolve the situation? You should explore every avenue to prevent a failing grade on your record.
 
Agree with justanothergrad above. Also make sure you're carefully documenting all that you do and how much time it is taking. Have a conversation with the professor about the expectations of how many hours per week you are expected to commit to the project. Document accordingly. Make and bring weekly timesheets for review when you have supervision with them so everyone stays aware of the progress (or lack thereof) and what the challenges are to getting it completed so no one is taken by surprise if/when difficulties arise, and so your effort will be recognized along hte way, not just by the existence (or not) of some product at the end of the semester.
 
What singasongofjoy says rings true for me, also! And get out of there – full-time data entry is not research. (It's a part of research – sometimes – but not the full thing.) Talk to other professors / advisors in the department. That shouldn't be under a "research" credit. That should be either paid or volunteer work and made clear what it is and is not.