Failing a Research P/F Class

Diirez

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
    So I am having a bit of trouble.

I took a research gig that turned out to be completely opposite of what they originally made it out to be (marketed as a clinical research position and turned into just data entry) but I figured I would just push through it for the semester and make use the experience to network. Unfortunately, it was extremely unorganized and a significant (emphasis on this part) amount of work that needed to be done. As a result the semester was a fluke and I couldn't get much work done so I felt forced to do it again for another semester.

My problem is I didn't plan ahead and probably will not be able to finish it so I am expecting for it to come up as a failure on my transcript, in research of all things.

Will this be a kiss of death on grad school applications?

About the Ads

MamaPhD

Psychologist, Academic Medical Center
    10+ Year Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    1. Psychologist
      My problem is I didn't plan ahead and probably will not be able to finish it so I am expecting for it to come up as a failure on my transcript, in research of all things.

Will this be a kiss of death on grad school applications?

Perhaps not kiss of death, but definitely a red flag and not a point in your favor.

By your own admission, your behavior played a role in this outcome. Have you talked to your professor about your grade and whether there is anything you can do to resolve the situation? You should explore every avenue to prevent a failing grade on your record.

singasongofjoy

5+ Year Member
      Dec 4, 2014
      1. Psychologist
        Agree with justanothergrad above. Also make sure you're carefully documenting all that you do and how much time it is taking. Have a conversation with the professor about the expectations of how many hours per week you are expected to commit to the project. Document accordingly. Make and bring weekly timesheets for review when you have supervision with them so everyone stays aware of the progress (or lack thereof) and what the challenges are to getting it completed so no one is taken by surprise if/when difficulties arise, and so your effort will be recognized along hte way, not just by the existence (or not) of some product at the end of the semester.

Reactions: 1 users

glowstick

Self
        7+ Year Member
        Mar 7, 2010
        1. Psychology Student
          What singasongofjoy says rings true for me, also! And get out of there – full-time data entry is not research. (It's a part of research – sometimes – but not the full thing.) Talk to other professors / advisors in the department. That shouldn't be under a "research" credit. That should be either paid or volunteer work and made clear what it is and is not.

Reactions: 1 users
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.