Failing an exam...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you failed an exam?

I just failed my second Genetics exam. I had an A prior to this test.

The only other exam I have failed in college was my very first exam in General Chem 1.

The effects of something like this happening are amazing. I had straight A's up until this point, and now I think my test average in Genetics is a low C. I just can't stop thinking about this exam. It seems as if nothing else matters now.

I am supposed to go tailgating this weekend with a few friends, as we always do before a home football game. I suddenly just don't have the desire to go out there anymore. Hopefully this feeling will go away over the next few days, but right now, this really, really stings. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I failed my Geography exam, but I still got a B.

It's all good if your in your first year, plus there is an opportunity of getting a Post-Bacc/ Masters Degree.

havent failed any tests yet, but alot of quizzes, Dont worry you can bring it up

Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy the game.

Link

Enjoy the game.

Link

Ouch, that's a little harsh.

Yeah, I've failed 1 maybe 2 exams in my life, but if you rebound and do well on the other exams, often the professor will give you a bump. Talk to the professor about the stuff you missed so they know you're having trouble. Then really pick up the pace and try to show that you're improving. If he/she sees that you've had great gains, though you percentage might be a high C, they could nudge you up to a B. And trust me, Bs ain't that bad.

I've failed a couple exams, but my definition of fail is quite different than that of my classmates. When I say fail I mean F, when they say it they mean C.

I failed my first exam of Physics II. I had never, ever failed an exam before, much less gotten a 44%. That's right, I didn't even earn HALF of the possible points. My friend didn't do so hot either, but all we could do was laugh uncontrollably when we got our exams back. My professor said that he liked our "spirit". I got an A in the class after 3 subsequent successful exams. He also had a policy of replacing our lowest one with additional weight from our final if we did better on that.

Moral of the story: life goes on. Even if you don't ge an A in the class, you will do better on the next exam and you will be fine. I remember going to my organic chem prof's office to get an exam grade and asking, "So... did I get into medical school?" He just laughed at me and rolled his eyes, an attitude which I can now appreciate - mostly because I've been accepted now and realize how trivial one exam is in the grand scheme of things (which I know is very difficult to do when you've just gotten your grade).

Go tailgating, have fun, and keep in mind that there are lots and lots of successful people who have failed exams before.

Don't feel bad. We had two midterms and a final for an advanced diffEQ course.

Avg was a 63 on the first exam. I got a 34. Managed to get a B (barely, but I think constantly visiting the prof for help gave me a little bump).

Just work your ass off. All you can do.

It ain't over until two semesters later when they don't accept change of grade forms anymore. Use a bad situation to your advantage. Ask yourself why you failed and use failure as a breakthrough to your bad characteristics. And then use it as fuel to prove to yourself and everyone else that you can do well in this subject.

Good luck. :luck:

I don't think anything can make you a better student then the shock of performing very poorly on a test, as long as you respond constructively. Use this as an opportunity to assess your strengths and weaknesses and study methods. Freak out at your own risk of wasting a chance to improve yourself.

in my calculus 3 class, I got a 91 on the first exam and a 64 on the second exam. Getting a D on the second exam really made me work my effing ass off. I ended up getting an A in the class; I got a 95 on the third exam and another 95 on the final exam. Of course I had a perfect homework grade so that helped too.