Failing Anatomy at LECOM PBL. :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolomghelp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I made a post about a few weeks ago regarding me struggling at the beginning of Anatomy, well the struggle has been throughout and I am pretty sure I'm going to fail the class. I know plenty of my friends who are in the same spot, but this test tomorrow was crunched in such a small amount of time, that I am seriously clueless. I had somewhat of an idea of what I was doing the past two previous exams, but this one I am completely lost on. I'm trying to tell myself it'll be fine, but I also feel distraught at the idea of remediation, and even worse, not doing any better the second time around.

This week we have our written exam Tuesday and a NBME shelf exam Wednesday, for both I just did not have enough time to catch up. Every week I felt more behind, and maybe I should just suck it up!! But it hurts studying so much and still being completely clueless.

I was wondering if anyone at LECOM has had to remediate Anatomy specifically? And if you feel comfortable sending me a message, please do so! Otherwise, this post was more of me venting about how things are going. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling, you are taking the big first step which is recognizing something is not working and asking for help. I do not know about LECOM specific policies but I will say that you have not failed yet. Use the time that you do have to memorize as much high-yield concepts for the block you are on and you might end up surprising yourself.

Get the anatomy organized into ways that you can remember the structures first so that you have a way of being oriented and if you get to a question that you have no clue on and you have to take a guess you may be able to at least narrow down your answer choices.

After you have it split up then work on memorizing the key structures. What muscles would you find there, what organs, and important landmarks.

Next memorize the innervation patterns. Having had memorized your key structures and having it split up in quadrants typically many of these structures will share the same innervation.

Arterial supply. If you have the nerve down most of the time the arterial supply is the same so just memorize the exceptions.

Action. Work on getting down just the primary action and try to think about it logically as possible in a way that you will recall. It could be helpful to practice moving your body around to build some of that muscle memory.

Everything else is typically extra if you have time. Clinical correlations, Origins / insertions, etc

Cross the bridge of remediation if you have to later and if you can and are not already set up an appointment if your school offers counseling as having someone to talk to outside the bubble of medical school can be really helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk how much time you have but UMich anatomy anki deck floating around out there is supposed to be good

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I made a post about a few weeks ago regarding me struggling at the beginning of Anatomy, well the struggle has been throughout and I am pretty sure I'm going to fail the class. I know plenty of my friends who are in the same spot, but this test tomorrow was crunched in such a small amount of time, that I am seriously clueless. I had somewhat of an idea of what I was doing the past two previous exams, but this one I am completely lost on. I'm trying to tell myself it'll be fine, but I also feel distraught at the idea of remediation, and even worse, not doing any better the second time around.

This week we have our written exam Tuesday and a NBME shelf exam Wednesday, for both I just did not have enough time to catch up. Every week I felt more behind, and maybe I should just suck it up!! But it hurts studying so much and still being completely clueless.

I was wondering if anyone at LECOM has had to remediate Anatomy specifically? And if you feel comfortable sending me a message, please do so! Otherwise, this post was more of me venting about how things are going. :(
I know of people who failed and were able to remediate. It's not the end of the world but you'll need some introspection to figure out what went wrong and do your best to avoid another failure. Gotta fix poor study habits, bad time management, or find the best way you learn. Med school is a rude awakening for some people because their old study habits from college don't work.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind any remediation is a red flag, and while not the worse thing that can happen (board failure) it def sheds light on residency app in a negative way. Too many applicants that don't have "rem" next to any classes on thier transcripts.

Good luck.

You need to spend as much time doing the Gray's Review questions that Kulesza highlighted to know as HY....assuming he gave your class a list this year.....as possible. You also need to hit the clinical supplement real hard. Best of luck to you.

Yeah, just want to second what Oligodinero said. Wouldn’t worry about any outside resources. Make sure you know the supplement front and back.

So LECOM is still doing it this way? Final anatomy exam followed immediately by the NBME. Do you still have a PBL exam next week? I vaguely remember that time.

You will not be the only person to fail anatomy. I knew multiple people that did. I would study the policies and see what options you have. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but back in the day if you high failed, you had the option to remediate, which is good because you'll continue, but you'll need to know what went wrong. If you low failed, those people were transitioned to the the post-bac curriculum and restarted with the next class. Multiple people I know did this, graduated, and matched. They did significantly better the second time around, because they learned how to study in the post-bac curriculum before coming back to the medical curriculum.

If this is what happens, don't worry, just put all you have into it. Good luck! Hopefully you'll pass and not have anything to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

Find out what your school's policy is on transcripts. At my school, you can fail anything and it won't go on your transcript as long as you remediate it successfully. You're probably fine, just try and pass everything from now on.