Failing APPE rotation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovedogs123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of people failing their APPE rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of people failing their APPE rotation?

Yes. We had someone get kicked out of a rotation this year. Sad. I can't imagine getting that far and having that happen. I have heard of other people failing various rotations as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can happen especially when you've got a preceptor who is particularly hard to get along with and when he or she just doesn't like anything you do.

Yes, a couple that I know of. One for turning in a project with a lot of personal interjections, such as "this is so stupid" and "I can't believe I have to do this" and so on....I guess he forgot to delete them before he turned it in. Duh! And another for unethical behavior - I believe having something to do with accepting money or payment during the rotation.

Yes, a couple that I know of. One for turning in a project with a lot of personal interjections, such as "this is so stupid" and "I can't believe I have to do this" and so on....I guess he forgot to delete them before he turned it in. Duh! And another for unethical behavior - I believe having something to do with accepting money or payment during the rotation.

:uhno:

If anybody fails a rotation...they don't deserve to be a Pharmacist. I mean come on....WTF???

I didn't feel like such a failure until OleMiss2010's post... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What if it was reimbursement for transportation costs?

I have never heard of that. Anything with money involved should be spelled out explicitly. So ether it is ok or it is not. I don't consider myself a black and white kind of person, but with money...it should be black and white. If reimbursement for transportation costs is allowed obviously it is not a problem.

Is it worth throwing away your hard work for an insignificant sum of money?

Yes, I've heard of it before and it is almost always for doing something stupid.

Show up on time, do your projects, and don't be a smartass. Following those three rules should give you a minumum of a pass.

Think I remember hearing about something involving a P4 and controlled substances at an APPE site.

Failing a final year rotation used to be such a rare occurence...nowadays, not so much.

I know a faculty member who keeps a running tally of the students he/she has failed off of an APPE rotation. A relatively young teacher, her total currently stands at six...and that isn't even the leading total for her department (trumped by a faculty member with five years less experience whose total is eight).

Yes, I've heard of it before and it is almost always for doing something stupid.

Show up on time, do your projects, and don't be a smartass. Following those three rules should give you a minumum of a pass.

Pretty much. Most of what I hear is about people with piss-poor attitudes, missing work, etc.

If you fail because of a lack of knowledge, you shouldn't graduate without some remediation anyway.

Failing a final year rotation used to be such a rare occurence...nowadays, not so much.

I know a faculty member who keeps a running tally of the students he/she has failed off of an APPE rotation. A relatively young teacher, her total currently stands at six...and that isn't even the leading total for her department (trumped by a faculty member with five years less experience whose total is eight).

I wonder why people like this are even preceptors. I mean if you are gonna take pride in how many students you fail, why even have a rotation? Seems like you should be more interested in helping your interns become pharmacists rather than taking pride in how many students you can fail.

Unless of course you believe that between two people failing 14 interns is appropriate. I have a hard time believing that many students really were not prepared for rotations.

Pretty much. Most of what I hear is about people with piss-poor attitudes, missing work, etc.

If you fail because of a lack of knowledge, you shouldn't graduate without some remediation anyway.

For real. Only time I got in trouble on rotations was when I got into an altercation with a parking attendant.

I told the guy that I'd be picking up the car at 4PM, preceptor surprised us and said we could go home early that day (12PM), so I go to the parking lot and the guy says that the only way he can get my car out is by moving 10-15 other cars out of the way first and he is not gonna do that. He tells me to come back in 2 hours. I say hell no and call his supervisor, supervisor tells him to move the car out, and of course he does it in a rush and manages to put a scratch on my car. *Altercation begins.*

For real. Only time I got in trouble on rotations was when I got into an altercation with a parking attendant.

I told the guy that I'd be picking up the car at 4PM, preceptor surprised us and said we could go home early that day (12PM), so I go to the parking lot and the guy says that the only way he can get my car out is by moving 10-15 other cars out of the way first and he is not gonna do that. He tells me to come back in 2 hours. I say hell no and call his supervisor, supervisor tells him to move the car out, and of course he does it in a rush and manages to put a scratch on my car. *Altercation begins.*

Sounds like a terrible attendant.

Is it common where you are to have other people park your car for you? I have never had anyone else park my card for me.

Sounds like a terrible attendant.

Is it common where you are to have other people park your car for you? I have never had anyone else park my card for me.

Yeah, at this hospital they had a parking lot. You arrive in the morning, tell the guy when you're coming back, you come back, they get the car for you, you drive away.

The problem with these lots is that the parking lot is so small, that they cram the cars into spaces where the cars in the back cannot be moved without the cars in the front being moved. (Thus asking people when they are coming back.)

After the incident, they gave me access to the parking garage where you park your own car and retrieve your own car.

I wonder why people like this are even preceptors. I mean if you are gonna take pride in how many students you fail, why even have a rotation? Seems like you should be more interested in helping your interns become pharmacists rather than taking pride in how many students you can fail.

Unless of course you believe that between two people failing 14 interns is appropriate. I have a hard time believing that many students really were not prepared for rotations.

While that SHOULD be the reason they are preceptors, doesn't mean it is. They are all human and some humans are just petty shallow little people who take joy in the misery of others. It's like the instructors who love to put trick questions on tests just to see how many people will miss it. Education should be the focus of teaching, but I've noticed that is not the case more often then not.

Reactions: 1 user
While that SHOULD be the reason they are preceptors, doesn't mean it is. They are all human and some humans are just petty shallow little people who take joy in the misery of others. It's like the instructors who love to put trick questions on tests just to see how many people will miss it. Education should be the focus of teaching, but I've noticed that is not the case more often then not.

Ouch, don't hold back, tell me how you really feel. :laugh:

You speak the truth.

Side note: From personal experience its best NOT to confront your preceptor for when they are in fact WRONG on a matter. Once I had a project due, and my patient got transferred to a different floor on the hospital. My preceptor accused me that I couldnt have done the project because the patient was discharged (but really the patient was discharged from floor 2 so they could be transferred to floor 8). Throughout my presentation she grilled/humiliated me in front of the pharmacy department because she thought I made the data up. After my presentation I confronted her and told her that my patient was transffered to a different floor,( and so she realized she made a mistake.) I called her out for being inappropriate and accusing me of false accusation (hey I had to stand up for what was right).

Long story short the rest of my rotation was HELLLLLLLLLLLL, and she loved every minute of it. My last day I had the biggest grin on my face and she knew why.

Last edited:

If you knew the school...no, I'm not going down that path.

Let's assume this person has taken 200 students on rotation (give or take, this is probably accurate based upon her specialty and length of employment). Why does failing 6 students (3%) seem so extraordinary to you? Not everyone is ready for APPEs...better to slow down the students with obvious deficiencies and force them to be addressed than to blindly pass them along.

Don't mistake the keeping a running tally of failures equaling pride in failing students. No faculty member in their right mind would want to fail an APPE student...there are so many hoops to jump through in order to fail someone, it's far easier to give a subpar student a C- and simply hope they (a) do better on the next one, and (b) don't make a fatal error in the future.

If you knew the school...no, I'm not going down that path.

Let's assume this person has taken 200 students on rotation (give or take, this is probably accurate based upon her specialty and length of employment). Why does failing 6 students (3%) seem so extraordinary to you? Not everyone is ready for APPEs...better to slow down the students with obvious deficiencies and force them to be addressed than to blindly pass them along.

Don't mistake the keeping a running tally of failures equaling pride in failing students. No faculty member in their right mind would want to fail an APPE student...there are so many hoops to jump through in order to fail someone, it's far easier to give a subpar student a C- and simply hope they (a) do better on the next one, and (b) don't make a fatal error in the future.

"A relatively young teacher, her total currently stands at six"

I doubt that she has had 200 APPE students if she is relatively young. The exact percentage doesn't matter though, if she keeps a running tally and compares it with her colleges (who have her "beat" in number failed) I would guess there is a certain culture there that does not promote success. Of course I could easily be wrong.

You bring up a good point though. Those of you out there who precept, what percentage of your students do you fail? Perhaps it is more common than I expect.

Edit: I take back my comment about the 200 students. Obviously you would know more than me about that. Everything else I posted stands.