Failing at NYU??!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYU2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im planning to go to NYU in the fall of 2005. During the interview and tour everything seemed nice. My initial tuition deposit is sent.

BUT..... I here that NYU fails alot of students, and that kicking a number of students out of the school is part of their policy (to make room for international students). I just heard of a friends cousin who got kicked out and he was a sophmore, thats like 150,000 wasted!

What is the deal with NYU and failing their students?

Someone please help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

do a search on this topic.
long story short. nyu doesnt fail anybody..students fail themselves by lagging behind and procrastinating.

NYU2009 said:
Im planning to go to NYU in the fall of 2005. During the interview and tour everything seemed nice. My initial tuition deposit is sent.

BUT..... I here that NYU fails alot of students, and that kicking a number of students out of the school is part of their policy (to make room for international students). I just heard of a friends cousin who got kicked out and he was a sophmore, thats like 150,000 wasted!

What is the deal with NYU and failing their students?

Someone please help me out.

I am going to NYU interview next monday... just because I will be in town for Columbia, already booked my tickets, so i thought might as well check out NYU :p

anybody have questions they want asked...
Im definitely going to get to the bottom of this failing business... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
last summer (I think) someone posted the revised NYU mission statement or open letter or something, and they said that their goal was to have every one of their students graduate. I don't think they're out to fail their students.

mikhiel said:
last summer (I think) someone posted the revised NYU mission statement or open letter or something, and they said that their goal was to have every one of their students graduate. I don't think they're out to fail their students.

do a search on the topic. this is been discussed here a lot.

dont be so naive.

hey "dentist to be" i'll be at NYU next monday too. I guess I'll see you there.

Hey Dentist_to_be and cpatel15:

Good Luck on your interviews! I wonder where NYU stands in terms of open seats...as well as the state of the waiting list and how that works.

Thanx :)

I asked Dr. Hittlemann about the failing rumor. Indeed, NYU does not seek to fail their students and he explained that there is more than ample room to fit incoming intl students. Every school, even maybe Columbia, will(may) have students drop out due to bad grades/personal reasons. They have a large class, so the number of students failing will naturally be larger. BUT..."the average of students failing is about the national average" (Hittlmann, Dec 2004).

NYU is a great school and I beleive their supposed reputation for being easy to get into (just because the class is big) and the failing thing (hopefully buried now) is unfortunate. Great students go and come out of NYUCD. Not to mention it has great facilities!

paolorossifan said:
I asked Dr. Hittlemann about the failing rumor. Indeed, NYU does not seek to fail their students and he explained that there is more than ample room to fit incoming intl students. Every school, even maybe Columbia, will(may) have students drop out due to bad grades/personal reasons. They have a large class, so the number of students failing will naturally be larger. BUT..."the average of students failing is about the national average" (Hittlmann, Dec 2004).

NYU is a great school and I beleive their supposed reputation for being easy to get into (just because the class is big) and the failing thing (hopefully buried now) is unfortunate. Great students go and come out of NYUCD. Not to mention it has great facilities!

Oh no, the faculty are all going to say "we fail students on purpose here". Please. For the last time, if you any of you have doubts please ask other students that go here and recent graduates.

ToothGuy05:

I noticed that you put "NYU School of Dentistry & Nursing?"...is that official now, is the name change official? Kindof a deterrent, dont u think?

ToothGuy05 said:
Oh no, the faculty are all going to say "we fail students on purpose here". Please. For the last time, if you any of you have doubts please ask other students that go here and recent graduates.

Relax, just trying to shed some light on the subject.

lake04 said:
ToothGuy05:

I noticed that you put "NYU School of Dentistry & Nursing?"...is that official now, is the name change official? Kindof a deterrent, dont u think?

Yes it is lake04, starting with the incoming class in 2006.

ToothGuy05 said:
Yes it is lake04, starting with the incoming class in 2006.

I guess you didn't get the memo. We are gonna be a separate entity from them. All graduating classes will get the same NYU College of Dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone hook me up with a Good NYU discussion thread. Searh gives me wayyy too many results back.

I am still undecided on my NYU interview this friday... as in haven't booked plane tickets yet :p

dentist_to_be? said:
I am going to NYU interview next monday... just because I will be in town for Columbia, already booked my tickets, so i thought might as well check out NYU :p

anybody have questions they want asked...
Im definitely going to get to the bottom of this failing business... :D

They will not tell you the truth (not that they have anything to hide), it is they have their own invested interest.

People do drop out okay. They drop out by not going in to take their exams. They are not kicked out, they just choose to leave. The school is huge, and very impersonal. Of course I'm speaking from what I heard from the students there as oppose to my own experience. Also, the staff there know about this rep they have and they are very good at responding to it.

However, it would be interesting for you to really force it out of them. I like to see that happening.

jk5177 said:
They will not tell you the truth (not that they have anything to hide), it is they have their own invested interest.

People do drop out okay. They drop out by not going in to take their exams. They are not kicked out, they just choose to leave. The school is huge, and very impersonal. Of course I'm speaking from what I heard from the students there as oppose to my own experience. Also, the staff there know about this rep they have and they are very good at responding to it.

However, it would be interesting for you to really force it out of them. I like to see that happening.

I know a first year and a third year who goes to NYU. The first year tells me they are terrified of being kicked out. They have to kick out a set number of students to make enough room for the internationals. The third year says that the internationals are damn smart and complained about how b/c of them they don't get a curve on the tests. Based on the stories that I've heard from current NYU students and alumni it seems the adcoms receive a large class pool including many who they know that will probably fail out and replace them with the internationals w/ better marks in the third year. It's easy to get accepted but hard and stressful to stay enrolled.

nnjh said:
I know a first year and a third year who goes to NYU. The first year tells me they are terrified of being kicked out. They have to kick out a set number of students to make enough room for the internationals. The third year says that the internationals are damn smart and complained about how b/c of them they don't get a curve on the tests. Based on the stories that I've heard from current NYU students and alumni it seems the adcoms receive a large class pool including many who they know that will probably fail out and replace them with the internationals w/ better marks in the third year. It's easy to get accepted but hard and stressful to stay enrolled.

I think that no matter how hard or bad the situation is..theres nothing that can stand in your way of graduating except your own self. If its the only place you get accepted to I say go for it.

NYU: Now You're Unemployed.

We need to start a thread on acronyms.

Such as...

AADSAS "Always Assume Deleted Stuff And Scores"
DAT... "Don't Assume Twenties"
PAT... "Pissed At ThreeD's"
UCLA... "U C Little Almagams" since there are no patients for you to work on.
LLU... "Live Life Unified" (with the Lord)
NYU... "Now Your Under"
NYU... "Now Your Unhappy."
NYU... "Now Your Unidentified" since there are 299 other students

I should stop this soon. I apologize if it offends people.

As someone who has just finished his 4th chronologic year, but only 3rd academic year, let me clarify the situation to you, rather than listen to these people who only answer based on what they've heard. The following is the school's policy:

If you fail a class during the academic year, you will be eligible for remediation in the summer.
If you fail 4 or more classes (out of ~ 45--classes are staggered, and average around 4 wks length) in a year, you are kicked out of school.
If you fail less than 4 classes, you are probably eligible for remediation of those classes. If you fail remediation of any of these classes, you are either forced to repeat the year, or kicked out of school.
If you are forced to repeat the year, you do so at your own expense (i.e. it costs an extra year's tuition). Also, you cannot fail ANY class, even if you received an "A" in that class the first time around. If you do, you are kicked out of school (no chance for summer remediation; BTW, it may seem easy to pass a class that you've taken the year before, but it most certainly is not; for one, the classes often change professors--and thus, course curriculum--from year to year; for another, you have so many classes in dental school that you pretty much HAVE to "cram" for each test, and thus, you don't really remember anything a few WEEKS after the exam, much less an entire year)

Thus, you can get an "A" in 44 classes, but if you fail that 45th class, and then fail it again in the summertime, you are kicked out of school.

I was accepted at NYUCD in 2003, and was originally in the class of 2007. They accepted 280 non-international students that year. By the start of the 2nd year, 35 of those students were no longer at the school. Another 10 were made to repeat the 1st year. I don't have exact stats on how many of those students CHOSE to leave school versus how many were FORCED to leave school, but I do know that of the 8 that I have since spoken with, all 8 of those people fell into the latter category. After 2nd year, there were another 4 that failed out, as well as another 11 that were forced to repeat the year.

I fell into this latter category (those who had to repeat). I had failed Complex Restorations I, and it was the first class I had ever failed. I did NOT fail because of the academic portion of the class (I don't think I've ever gotten anything less than an 82 on any test), I failed on one of the clinical evaluations. The thing is, the clinical evaluations are subjective. I obviously can't prove that my failing evaluation on this ONE clinical exam was due to the professor not liking me, but I can tell you that myself and any classmates I spoke with said that my provisional crown (what I got a failing grade for) looked better than many other provisionals that received passing grades. I can also tell you that it was no secret that I was definitely NOT the professor's favorite student. On my final attempt to pass this exam in the summertime, I screwed in the plastic tooth used to make the provisional crown into my typodont (i.e. fake mouth) too hard, and the tooth broke. As a result, when went to take the provisional crown off, the tooth came with it, and I was failed on the spot. My best friend also was forced to repeat the year. He received a 69.5% on his final exam in remediation, but the professor for that class wouldn't curve his score up to the 70% required to pass.

I am fortunate enough to say that I overcame having to repeat the year, and am now about to start my 4th academic year. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about many of the others that were forced to repeat the year. Indeed, my best friend, after finally passing his D2 year, now may end up failing his D3 year because he hasn't completed all the clinical requirements (not his own fault, as the school is not responsible for getting you the patients you need in order to fill a requirement; thus, if none of your patients requires a root canal, you get an incomplete for that requirement; four incompletes, and you have to repeat the year, or get kicked out of school). Thus, my friend may end up having to repeat ANOTHER academic year, and will have the possibility of STILL failing out, despite paying for FIVE total year's worth of tuition.

I tell you guys these things not to scare you, but to get you to realize that NYUCD is not as forthright and just as you may assume. They really DON'T care if a student fails out, only if they get their money. This, of course, is true with many schools, but never have i seen such blatant examples as with NYUCD. I would guess that about 90% of NYUCD juniors or seniors are unhappy with NYUCD--a much, much higher percentage than you will find anywhere else. If you have the choice of going anywhere else, I STRONGLY encourage you to do that--the risk of being $450,000 in debt (i.e. $90,000/year x 5 years) and wasting 5 years of your life, and STILL not getting a degree is just not worth any so-called benefits of living in "the greatest city in the world".

As someone who has just finished his 4th chronologic year, but only 3rd academic year, let me clarify the situation to you, rather than listen to these people who only answer based on what they've heard. The following is the school's policy:

If you fail a class during the academic year, you will be eligible for remediation in the summer.
If you fail 4 or more classes (out of ~ 45--classes are staggered, and average around 4 wks length) in a year, you are kicked out of school.
If you fail less than 4 classes, you are probably eligible for remediation of those classes. If you fail remediation of any of these classes, you are either forced to repeat the year, or kicked out of school.
If you are forced to repeat the year, you do so at your own expense (i.e. it costs an extra year's tuition). Also, you cannot fail ANY class, even if you received an "A" in that class the first time around. If you do, you are kicked out of school (no chance for summer remediation; BTW, it may seem easy to pass a class that you've taken the year before, but it most certainly is not; for one, the classes often change professors--and thus, course curriculum--from year to year; for another, you have so many classes in dental school that you pretty much HAVE to "cram" for each test, and thus, you don't really remember anything a few WEEKS after the exam, much less an entire year)

Thus, you can get an "A" in 44 classes, but if you fail that 45th class, and then fail it again in the summertime, you are kicked out of school.

I was accepted at NYUCD in 2003, and was originally in the class of 2007. They accepted 280 non-international students that year. By the start of the 2nd year, 35 of those students were no longer at the school. Another 10 were made to repeat the 1st year. I don't have exact stats on how many of those students CHOSE to leave school versus how many were FORCED to leave school, but I do know that of the 8 that I have since spoken with, all 8 of those people fell into the latter category. After 2nd year, there were another 4 that failed out, as well as another 11 that were forced to repeat the year.

I fell into this latter category (those who had to repeat). I had failed Complex Restorations I, and it was the first class I had ever failed. I did NOT fail because of the academic portion of the class (I don't think I've ever gotten anything less than an 82 on any test), I failed on one of the clinical evaluations. The thing is, the clinical evaluations are subjective. I obviously can't prove that my failing evaluation on this ONE clinical exam was due to the professor not liking me, but I can tell you that myself and any classmates I spoke with said that my provisional crown (what I got a failing grade for) looked better than many other provisionals that received passing grades. I can also tell you that it was no secret that I was definitely NOT the professor's favorite student. On my final attempt to pass this exam in the summertime, I screwed in the plastic tooth used to make the provisional crown into my typodont (i.e. fake mouth) too hard, and the tooth broke. As a result, when went to take the provisional crown off, the tooth came with it, and I was failed on the spot. My best friend also was forced to repeat the year. He received a 69.5% on his final exam in remediation, but the professor for that class wouldn't curve his score up to the 70% required to pass.

I am fortunate enough to say that I overcame having to repeat the year, and am now about to start my 4th academic year. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about many of the others that were forced to repeat the year. Indeed, my best friend, after finally passing his D2 year, now may end up failing his D3 year because he hasn't completed all the clinical requirements (not his own fault, as the school is not responsible for getting you the patients you need in order to fill a requirement; thus, if none of your patients requires a root canal, you get an incomplete for that requirement; four incompletes, and you have to repeat the year, or get kicked out of school). Thus, my friend may end up having to repeat ANOTHER academic year, and will have the possibility of STILL failing out, despite paying for FIVE total year's worth of tuition.

I tell you guys these things not to scare you, but to get you to realize that NYUCD is not as forthright and just as you may assume. They really DON'T care if a student fails out, only if they get their money. This, of course, is true with many schools, but never have i seen such blatant examples as with NYUCD. I would guess that about 90% of NYUCD juniors or seniors are unhappy with NYUCD--a much, much higher percentage than you will find anywhere else. If you have the choice of going anywhere else, I STRONGLY encourage you to do that--the risk of being $450,000 in debt (i.e. $90,000/year x 5 years) and wasting 5 years of your life, and STILL not getting a degree is just not worth any so-called benefits of living in "the greatest city in the world".

wow, talk about bringing up an old thread