How do Canadian dental schools look at pass/fail Courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllyAllyOh

Reaction score
I didn't do very well in a non-prerequisite course and was planning on using the 'pass' or 'credit granted' option for the grade on my transcript, so it wouldn't bring down my overall GPA. However, I did some research and was only able to find that out of all Canadian dental schools, Western University is the only one who states on their website that they accept pass/fail courses. Does anyone know if any other Canadian dental schools accept pass/fail courses? For reference I have taken five courses during each semester this past year (fall/winter) to be considered a 'full load' student. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak for the Canadian admissions teams, but if they don't explicitly say they would look favorably on pass/fail grading, I would try to keep everything on grades. Remember, most Canadian schools are notorious for rewarding A marks, and Canadian undergraduate curricula don't adhere to the US's "general education" expectations.

They don't do a lot of recruitment events either, so extrapolating from some of the discussions from faculty, here is what I consider an educated guess.

Post-COVID, faculty may think that pass/fail grading: we presume your actual performance is closer to the "fail/pass" threshold than the 100% mark. Otherwise, why would you punish yourself by not pushing for as high a GPA as you can. So, a Pass mark is really more a C, and some faculty will use that against you if you have more than one Pass/Fail without adequate explanation (that's the grading policy of the "research/thesis" course, for example).