Failing physics.... what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vanillasky123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I attend an ivy undergrad but have been struggling in premed science classes there since Day 1 even though I get decent grades in everything else (As and Bs). Last year I got a B- and C in bio 1 and 2 respectively and recently i just made a 56 on my physics exam even though the mean was an 82 (this is the first exam out of three.. worth around 20% of my final grade). I studied hard for the exam and have had a grad student through my school's tutoring center tutor me once a week. I also go to my professor's office hours weekly. I have no idea how I ended up with a 56 especially since the mean was so high.... I feel like I'm doing all that I can but it's getting me nowhere. I've recently started worrying about whether I'll make it to med school at all... I admit that my lousy bio grades last year were due to the fact that I slacked off and underestimated college. But this year I've been trying extremely hard yet I'm still getting Cs and below in science courses (nutrition and physics)... at this point I just don't know what to do.... Should I stay in physics or drop? (though I'm not sure if I can because I'd be down to 12 credits...) and am I just not cut out to be premed?
 
Physics is not indicative of the kind of learning you'd have to do in med school.

However, Physics is there to keep idiots out of med school.
 
However, Physics is there to keep idiots out of med school.

this!

From my experience physics was all about two things; understanding the units (how they fit together) and repetition solving problems.

If you don't understand how all those darn units fit together then you are left with memorizing a bunch of letters (call them formulas if you want) that make no sense. When you understand WHY A=v*t because of the units make it fit then you are getting somewhere. Also dimensional analysis saved my bacon more times than I can count.

Three words... Repetition, repetition, repetition. Do each problem assigned more than one time and sometimes it is possible to solve them more than one way. Learn HOW to solve problems from the TA and the prof. the student that goes in there just to "know he right answer" for the question is not showing understanding. Sure they may have the right answer that time, but what about the next problem...

If the prof assigns even problems from the book, do the odd ones too. It never hurts to do more problems than required.

Hth
Dsoz
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this!

From my experience physics was all about two things; understanding the units (how they fit together) and repetition solving problems.

If you don't understand how all those darn units fit together then you are left with memorizing a bunch of letters (call them formulas if you want) that make no sense. When you understand WHY A=v*t because of the units make it fit then you are getting somewhere. Also dimensional analysis saved my bacon more times than I can count.

Three words... Repetition, repetition, repetition. Do each problem assigned more than one time and sometimes it is possible to solve them more than one way. Learn HOW to solve problems from the TA and the prof. the student that goes in there just to "know he right answer" for the question is not showing understanding. Sure they may have the right answer that time, but what about the next problem...

If the prof assigns even problems from the book, do the odd ones too. It never hurts to do more problems than required.

Hth
Dsoz

v= A*t
 
Physics is not indicative of the kind of learning you'd have to do in med school.

However, Physics is there to keep idiots out of med school.

Haha, nice one!

OP, I actually loathe Physics with a passion. I got a 49 on my first ever exam in Physics 1 and was totally shocked. After that, I just started doing all the possible problems in the textbook I could, even asked for more from the professor! I just put all the time I could in the class, and ended up getting 90s and 100s the rest of the term and in Physics 2 as well. Don't give up! It was the first exam! 👍
 
I did well in my other prereqs but was awful at physics. Somehow did okay in Physics I but with Physics II my hate + extenuating circumstances set me up for a C for the semester so I took the W and took it over the summer. It went a lot faster but I was able to just concentrate on it by itself and ended up doing very well.

That being said, taking physics over the summer was not exactly how I wanted to spend the end of my summer (and you would have to take 2 summer sessions most likely). Sometimes it is worth it to protect your science GPA. I took the hit with the W, but still got into medical school. GL with whatever you decide to do!
 
It's cool OP don't worry.

Since you attend an ivy undergrad, the Adcoms will most likely add .9 to your GPA due to the undoubted rigor of your ivy undergrad school.

Basically, since you go to an Ivy undergrad, you're shoo-in...



















































































backpain-1292835351.jpg
 
It's cool OP don't worry.

Since you attend an ivy undergrad, the Adcoms will most likely add .9 to your GPA due to the undoubted rigor of your ivy undergrad school.

Basically, since you go to an Ivy undergrad, you're shoo-in...



















































































backpain-1292835351.jpg

ha love the meme.

WITHDRAW WITHDRAW WITHDRAW. F's are the ultimate GPA torpedo. Enjoy life as a Nursing assistant if you get a couple of those.
 
It's cool OP don't worry.

Since you attend an ivy undergrad, the Adcoms will most likely add .9 to your GPA due to the undoubted rigor of your ivy undergrad school.

Basically, since you go to an Ivy undergrad, you're shoo-in...

I would definitely like to see supporting data on this assertion. OP, if you are in danger of failing withdraw. It is better to explain a withdrawal in an interview than not get an interview in the first place because of a 2.9 gpa.
 
I would definitely like to see supporting data on this assertion. OP, if you are in danger of failing withdraw. It is better to explain a withdrawal in an interview than not get an interview in the first place because of a 2.9 gpa.

lol he was just joking.

but OP, i agree with others. take the W
 
I got a 50 on my first physics exam. Managed to pull it up to an A- (90) by:

- Take advantage of your university's free tutoring! This helped me in understanding the concept of physics, which is what you have to know for the MCAT anyways.
- Read the textbook
- Do the problems for homework
- If possible, review your professor's old exams
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad