Failing Step 1....and the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillgoing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So 1 month after taking boards I got two emails. First was from saying my Step 1 score was now available and the second was from my Dean saying "we need to talk":scared:

So it turns out I'm part of 7-8% each year that didn't pass their boards on the first attempt. I'm going to start studying for this again in a few weeks, but I have this nagging worry that is constantly hanging over my head....the match.

I'm wondering if anyone on this board failed step 1 on their first try and was successful in the match. Specifically how did you handle this when applying for residencies. What specialties did you pick, how many programs did you apply to and did you match?

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very sorry this happened.

I know of two people, at least, who matched into pretty good programs when they were in the same position. But you need to be realistic about specialties.

I am academic faculty, and interview for our residency. Start working, mentally, on your explanation.

PM me if you like.

I'm very sorry this happened.

I know of two people, at least, who matched into pretty good programs when they were in the same position. But you need to be realistic about specialties.

I am academic faculty, and interview for our residency. Start working, mentally, on your explanation.

PM me if you like.

What specialties did they match into?

I'm currently looking into anesthesiology. I'm wondering if that is still a possibility?

Step by step:

-figure out if your first try MUST show up on ERAS. If not, it never happened. I am an interviewing attending, and I don't know if it must appear. I just show up on interview day with a D-ring binder and see step-I: XXX. No hint of failures.

-If it must show up, in your interviews, explain why you failed. volunteer it.

-Take it again and pass. Beyond pass.

-Step II, do as well. Do NOT do worse. your best hope is to excell and prove that you are trending in the right direction.