Failing step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What happens if you fail step 3 multiple times in psych residency but eventually pass like the 3rd time? Is it a problem at all?

Members don't see this ad.

What happens if you fail step 3 multiple times in psych residency but eventually pass like the 3rd time? Is it a problem at all?

It is going to limit you somewhat applying in any specialty. It does not make it impossible to match in psychiatry by any means, but I think you would be well-advised to make sure you have a healthy number of mid/lower tier programs on your list as well.

I guess I understand OP to have already matched and currently training in a psych residency, but with 2 failures on Step 3. In that case I would not worry too much unless you see yourself applying to top tier fellowship positions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I understand OP to have already matched and currently training in a psych residency, but with 2 failures on Step 3. In that case I would not worry too much unless you see yourself applying to top tier fellowship positions.

If OP in medical school then see above.

Reactions: 1 user

You're right, my bad, blanked on that for a minute. Yeah it doesn't matter so long as you don't fail the 3rd time. If that happens it is a very different conversation in many states, so do literally anything you can to avoid it.

The only issue is passing within the maximum allowed tries to obtain a full state license. Some states have language that you can’t have a training license if you don’t meet the qualifications to eventually have a full license. Some residency programs don’t even require you to take step 3.

In my state the fsmb says the following:

Number of attempts at Licensing Exam
  • An applicant for licensure has a total of 5 attempts (or 5 times to fail) a USMLE Step or COMLEX Level. The applicant must have passed on the 6th attempt.
What exactly does that mean? You can fail step 3 5 times if you’ve passed all previous steps without failures?

• An applicant for licensure has a total of 5 attempts (or 5 times to fail) a USMLE Step or COMLEX Level. The applicant must have passed on the 6th attempt.
What exactly does that mean? You can fail step 3 5 times if you’ve passed all previous steps without failures?

That's what I would interpret that as.

You should not fail Step 3 more than once. It's by far the easiest of the Steps not necessarily because the material is so so easy but because the curve is so low (bc nobody really cares about it as pretty much everyone taking it is a resident and very few specialty fellowships care about it). I wouldn't worry too much about this unless you've already failed it twice.

Even if you do fail it twice, it doesn't matter as long as you pass it sometime. It probably won't even hurt you in most psych fellowships considering the amount of fellowship slots that go unfilled every year.

Sweet thanks guys I appreciate it

Waiting on my scores tomorrow and reading this is giving me so much anxiety :-/

Waiting on my scores tomorrow and reading this is giving me so much anxiety :-/

I feel like reading this should be doing the opposite of that since we just concluded that you can fail several times with no repercussions lol

Every state is different. Some states only permit 1-2 failures for a step level. Look up various states, and its possible to not get a license in some states.

I feel like reading this should be doing the opposite of that since we just concluded that you can fail several times with no repercussions lol

Failure (repeated failure) is still very anxiety provoking. (I passed though, yay.)

If you fail step 3 multiple times I’d start studying for the boards. You’ll need all the help you can get.

The way this language is written, you can fail each Step/Level as long as you pass on the 6th try . So you can fail Step 3 5 times and still become licensed. If you graduated med school and speak English though this shouldn't really be an issue unless you try and take it blind-folded.

The way this language is written, you can fail each Step/Level as long as you pass on the 6th try . So you can fail Step 3 5 times and still become licensed. If you graduated med school and speak English though this shouldn't really be an issue unless you try and take it blind-folded.

Haha that’s sweet thats great to know