Failure experience essay ideas, advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigermuffinbanana

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm applying this coming cycle and was brainstorming a couple ideas for the failure/unsuccessful experience secondary essays. I have two ideas I've kinda narrowed down to:
  1. Talk about my tutoring experience and how I failed to get through to one of my first students and motivate/help him improve enough before his end of course tests (to continue on in high school). I can follow up with what I learned and talk about how I've improved my tutoring skills to help students I work with these days.
  2. Research mistake I made by not admitting I couldn't successfully do my part of the project we were working on and not asking for help. I could talk about the consequences that resulted and what I learned about acknowledging my incapabilities and taking more opportunities to ask for help and learn from others more experienced than me.
    I'm hesitant to talk too much about academics/research of course, but I am applying MD/PhD and I can connect the story to more broad lessons learned.

Am I approaching the question correctly? And which topic would be best to write about out of those two?

Members don't see this ad.