Failure secondary prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fldoctorgirl

IM PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am conflicted about how to best answer this prompt. Specifically, it says:
Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience?

I have two possible answers to this prompt-- one academic, and one more personal. I will discuss them both here without being super specific.

Academically, I could discuss how I failed the first exam in a typical pre-med weed out course because I didn't know how to study correctly, fixed my errors, and managed to end the course with a B. Then, in the second half of the class (xyz 2), I got an A-. I learned how to study effectively, manage my time, etc.

Personally, I could address how I lost a relative several years ago, and how I regret that I didn't take the time to get to know them more because now it is too late. I consider this a personal failure, although I'm not sure if others would see it this way. I learned the importance of making time for my friends/family, even when I am busy, and place a high importance on my support system because of this. This response might be risky, though, as the school this secondary for is OOS and I don't want them to interpret this as "she can't be away from her family, she's too attached" which is definitely not the case.

If anyone could give me advice on which route they think is best, or if specifically some adcoms could tell me which they would rather read, I would appreciate it!

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

Describe a time when you experienced failure. What did you learn about yourself from this experience?

I have two possible answers to this prompt-- one academic, and one more personal. I will discuss them both here without being super specific.

Academically, I could discuss how I failed the first exam in a typical pre-med weed out course because I didn't know how to study correctly, fixed my errors, and managed to end the course with a B. Then, in the second half of the class (xyz 2), I got an A-. I learned how to study effectively, manage my time, etc.

Personally, I could address how I lost a relative several years ago, and how I regret that I didn't take the time to get to know them more because now it is too late. I consider this a personal failure, although I'm not sure if others would see it this way. I learned the importance of making time for my friends/family, even when I am busy, and place a high importance on my support system because of this. This response might be risky, though, as the school this secondary for is OOS and I don't want them to interpret this as "she can't be away from her family, she's too attached" which is definitely not the case.

If anyone could give me advice on which route they think is best, or if specifically some adcoms could tell me which they would rather read, I would appreciate it!

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM
I prefer the second scenario.

Reactions: 3 users

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM
I can't sugar coat this. From reading hundreds of SDN posts on topics like this, people who talk about academic failures usually come across as having their entire self-worth wrapped up in academics, and lacking any ability to introspect.

Your second scenario is far better.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both!

@Goro That's why I didn't want to go with the first, but I wasn't sure if the second scenario would count as a "failure" in other people's eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't sugar coat this. From reading hundreds of SDN posts on topics like this, people who talk about academic failures usually come across as having their entire self-worth wrapped up in academics, and lacking any ability to introspect.

Your second scenario is far better.

So you won't encourage students to write about their failures in research as well?

So you won't encourage students to write about their failures in research as well?
I'd prefer to see something different only because I see too many posts asking about this as a subject.

We Adcoms would lprefer to know how you deal with things outside of academics. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

I fully understand how frustrating life in the lab can be. My best negative control cell line for NOT expressing my favorite protein is now expressing it, and my IPPs aren't working from my best expresser, either. Time for a new antibody!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above posters that your 2nd example is more appropriate for this prompt. I'm afraid the 1st example is fairly common in pre-meds, and I wouldn't call failing one exam "a failure."

Reactions: 1 users
Im working on the same question right now and have very similar two responses. First one is when I did terrible in my second year in all my courses due to lack of time management skills. The second one is that I didn't spend enough time with a very close relative who was dealing with mental illness and drug addiction. I should have supported them through this and wasn't there as much as I should have been. However I think this might be a little too personal which is why I am struggling with this question.

Im working on the same question right now and have very similar two responses. First one is when I did terrible in my second year in all my courses due to lack of time management skills. The second one is that I didn't spend enough time with a very close relative who was dealing with mental illness and drug addiction. I should have supported them through this and wasn't there as much as I should have been. However I think this might be a little too personal which is why I am struggling with this question.
Isn't this what the opp posted? the advice was #2 was more interesting.

Thank you both!

@Goro That's why I didn't want to go with the first, but I wasn't sure if the second scenario would count as a "failure" in other people's eyes.

They didn't ask about someone else's failure. They asked about yours and your perception of failures.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think if you write it well, many different options will work. I'd avoid the class one only because it's just one class and, yes, it does make you look like a neurotic premed ;) If it was an entire year, it might be more compelling (I almost got kicked out after my freshman year and I still have nightmares of someone taking my diploma back...).

That said, I'm not sure if this helps, but I know sometimes having some new ideas can spark a memory, so here goes. I have only encountered one failure prompt, and I wrote a pretty long story about backpacking in Alaska and having to turn completely around and find a new route out because I wasn't prepared. It sounds dumb written so simply, but the backstory is kind of interesting and I learned a lot from the experience about preparation and leadership. Nothing like getting lost in the Alaskan tundra to make you rethink your entire life trajectory. So I think there are many approaches to this topic and perhaps just brainstorming through some ideas will trigger something.

Reactions: 1 users
Do personal. Always do personal. It should definitely be well written, and it can be a simple failure and doesn't have to be the most devastating experience. I've read essays (in my last job) about dropping work deadlines, failing to be emotionally available for someone, dishonesty, etc. There is endless amounts of topics.

Adcoms will read TONS of academic related failures. Regardless of whether or not it is well written, you will sound privileged. Maybe the only time it would be appropriate is if you failed a bunch of classes because you were homeless/raising or caring for another person and then ended up on top.

Everyone has academic failures in medicine. It's a given. Try to go beyond that so they can see who you really are!

Processing through applicants writing failure prompts must be disorienting when one student is writing about their A- in Organic Chemistry and another is explaining how she lost possession of both her children to DYFS.