Fairly optimistic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first week in General Chemistry 1 course went smoothly.

Although I don't like standing out, I've used some "make friends quickly" strategy (that I used in Geology and Geography lab) to make some Gen Chem lab buddies/group.
One guy is already in USC, waiting to take classes until Spring (Freshman with lots of AP credit are asked to enroll in spring to allow the school to manage the incoming volume). Played Overwatch with him. Things are looking bright.

The professor has a "you'll weed out eventually" mind-set toward the students. Feels like our professor is detached. He is kind of afraid to make any relationships too quickly before the "Drop date before receiving a W" deadline.

Everything seems really cool: to think that this is my very first step in preparation toward med school.

I'm a bit (not nearly but..) non-traditional student. Had about 3 gap years (since senior year in High school) before coming back to education.

To be honest, I am really thankful for the opportunity. I can still pursue education and I have a lot of support behind me. I'm fairly optimistic.

I hope that I at least get a B in this course. I have As in 3 other-science courses. Hopefully, that will raise sGPA. Will try my best to get A's. But, I will be okay with a B.

Btw, how will the Adcom think about sGPA boosted by other-science courses?
I might transfer as Physical Geography major at UCLA or Earth Science major at USC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as the courses fall into the science category for AACOMAS then a good grade in a science class will look good. Work hard, study hard, and stayed focus on school work. You will be fine. Start working on building your application now (EC's, healthcare exposure, etc). It's a long and hard road but you will learn a lot. Be sure to take care of yourself in the process and keep on top of staying healthy (mentally and physically). Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as the courses fall into the science category for AACOMAS then a good grade in a science class will look good. Work hard, study hard, and stayed focus on school work. You will be fine. Start working on building your application now (EC's, healthcare exposure, etc). It's a long and hard road but you will learn a lot. Be sure to take care of yourself in the process and keep on top of staying healthy (mentally and physically). Good luck.

I will! Yeah, they are all other-science courses. It will be a significant boost that will hopefully impress the Adcom!
My EC isn't good (barely anything) but I will slowly build them over time. I'm waiting to get school's district confirmation to volunteer in one of their school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will! Yeah, they are all other-science courses. It will be a significant boost that will hopefully impress the Adcom!
My EC isn't good (barely anything) but I will slowly build them over time. I'm waiting to get school's district confirmation to volunteer in one of their school :)

Make sure you get some clinical exposure too!

Make sure you get some clinical exposure too!
Yeah, I have small clinics to big hospitals around where I live. Surely, will! If I get into UCLA or USC, I will start clinical experience as volunteering (and inquire about shadowing after).
I do not have any plans to get clinical exposure this year :D

Just do well in your coursework, and you'll be fine.

The first week in General Chemistry 1 course went smoothly.

Although I don't like standing out, I've used some "make friends quickly" strategy (that I used in Geology and Geography lab) to make some Gen Chem lab buddies/group.
One guy is already in USC, waiting to take classes until Spring (Freshman with lots of AP credit are asked to enroll in spring to allow the school to manage the incoming volume). Played Overwatch with him. Things are looking bright.

The professor has a "you'll weed out eventually" mind-set toward the students. Feels like our professor is detached. He is kind of afraid to make any relationships too quickly before the "Drop date before receiving a W" deadline.

Everything seems really cool: to think that this is my very first step in preparation toward med school.

I'm a bit (not nearly but..) non-traditional student, with a history of mental illness. Had about 3 gap years (since senior year in High school) before coming back to education.

To be honest, I am really thankful for the opportunity. I can still pursue education and I have a lot of support behind me. I'm fairly optimistic.

I hope that I at least get a B in this course. I have As in 3 other-science courses. Hopefully, that will raise sGPA. Will try my best to get A's. But, I will be okay with a B.

Btw, how will the Adcom think about sGPA boosted by other-science courses?
I might transfer as Physical Geography major at UCLA or Earth Science major at USC.

Just do well in your coursework, and you'll be fine.
I will work hard in this course! :)
So far, few things are confusing, but I am doing well. Fortunately for us, we have home works; which will look like our tests.