Fall 2008 Schedule.......Hows it look?

Started by DRdelgado
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DRdelgado

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay i just registered for my fall 2008 classes and heres my schedule......................................................................................

General Biology: MWF 8am-8:50am
General Bio Lab: R 2:25pm-4:15pm
College Chem.: MWF 9am-9:50am
College Chem Lab: F 2pm-4:50pm
Inro to College Composition: MW 4pm-5:15pm
PreCalculus: MWF 1pm-1:50pm
PreCal. Lab: TR 1pm-2:15pm
Golf: TR 10:50am-12:05pm

Tell me whatcha think? Im thinking about dropping Inro to comp. due to difficulty since its my first semester. I dont know. Need some advice please.

***** R=Thursday T=Tuesday
 
drop golf, and get your classes over with. You can always take golf later.
 
Is college chemistry the same as general chemistry? Also don't drop English I, take it and get it over with, trust me you will be glad you did. The papers aren't hard they are usually two pages in length. You could probably type them with your eyes close 😎 Other than that I think you have a great schedule for a first semester my schedule looked very similar when I went back to school to do my prerequisites.

HTH
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That should be an easy semester but I agree that you should replace golf with another class like physics.
 
Drop golf and instead take a humanities elective that'll count toward your prereqs (if your prereqs include those). For many non-California schools, it is not hard to get all your prereqs done in 2 years as long as you take 15-18 credits a semester (and I don't know about Cali. schools, that's why I won't talk about them). Don't drop comp. Otherwise that's a pretty average schedule for a first-semester prepharm.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay i just registered for my fall 2008 classes and heres my schedule......................................................................................

General Biology: MWF 8am-8:50am
General Bio Lab: R 2:25pm-4:15pm
College Chem.: MWF 9am-9:50am
College Chem Lab: F 2pm-4:50pm
Inro to College Composition: MW 4pm-5:15pm
PreCalculus: MWF 1pm-1:50pm
PreCal. Lab: TR 1pm-2:15pm
Golf: TR 10:50am-12:05pm

Tell me whatcha think? Im thinking about dropping Inro to comp. due to difficulty since its my first semester. I dont know. Need some advice please.

***** R=Thursday T=Tuesday


If you can handle it - Go For It- I had a rule of 2 - I only took 2 difficult / time consuming courses at a time.

Use caution when choosing your path - Taking too much at once can lead to grades lower than desired.

~above~
 
Wow. That's a lot for first semester.

Like what the others said, you can take golf later put in some type of gen ed.

Good luck.
 
Well heres the thing my advisors told me that i should do PE because it says on the recommended courses for prepharm. that i should do a health/wellness class. and thats what golf is. they said i could do that instead of a health class. Is that a good idea?
 
Well heres the thing my advisors told me that i should do PE because it says on the recommended courses for prepharm. that i should do a health/wellness class. and thats what golf is. they said i could do that instead of a health class. Is that a good idea?

Advisors don't know much, but (s)he MAY have a point, emphasis on the may. Check the requirements of the pharm. schools you're applying too, and some of them indeed might have PE, but most don't. If it doesn't, it's really better to take a humanities class.
 
Okay, Wow thanks i cant believe i didnt even think to look at the pharmacy prereqs for other schools. Thanks. Anyways dont you think that adding another humanities class would be way too difficult for my first semester of college?
 
If you can handle it - Go For It- I had a rule of 2 - I only took 2 difficult / time consuming courses at a time.

Use caution when choosing your path - Taking too much at once can lead to grades lower than desired.

~above~

Yeah, that was my strategy too.🙂

16 credits is the max for me. Workoholics can do more but procrastinators such as myself cannot except in pharmacy school.

You could shift biology to the next semester if possible. You probably should keep chem where it is because you need to stay on course so that you could apply to pharmacy schools during your second year.
 
Looks good.

However I'm far from jealous 🙂

15 units, all on Tuesdays and Thursdays with a minimum of 1 hour between classes.

3 days a week as a pharmacy tech ftw.
 
Okay, Wow thanks i cant believe i didnt even think to look at the pharmacy prereqs for other schools. Thanks. Anyways dont you think that adding another humanities class would be way too difficult for my first semester of college?

Again I'd drop golf, and don't replace it with anything else. Four classes w/lab is alot of work but its doable if you work at it. If this is your first semester in college, it might be alot.
 
Drop golf. You need to see how tired you are after 2 lab courses and math. I know you may LIKE golf, and may think you'd even enjoy a golfing course, but when you're given the option to either go golfing or study for your chem midterm, you'll be glad you put golf off. Lots of schools do have a PE requirement. However I feel it is better to take a health-oriented class to meet this requirement, instead of an actual sport. Just because by the time I'm done with all my "difficult" classes, I really don't want some old guy telling me I don't know how to bowl. 🙁
 
okay. I dropped golf. so all in all I now have 15 hour work load. where can I buy textbooks from? im gonna need them pretty soon I just can't find anywhere that sells them for cheap! im stressing out. any advice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hit up amazon and buy from the used book sellers...just make sure they actually ship it right away.
 
dude, don't drop golf. the P.E. classes were one of my favorite things about college. I took fencing, racquetball, and tennis. You get to learn a new sport and meet others who play the same thing. I say take it and have fun, otherwise your schedule looks good, that is about what I took my first semester, except I had a humanities instead of pre cal.

Buy books on amazon or half.com or download them if you can find them. Try not to buy from school book store. It is a total scam.
 
dude, don't drop golf. the P.E. classes were one of my favorite things about college. I took fencing, racquetball, and tennis. You get to learn a new sport and meet others who play the same thing. I say take it and have fun, otherwise your schedule looks good, that is about what I took my first semester, except I had a humanities instead of pre cal.

Buy books on amazon or half.com or download them if you can find them. Try not to buy from school book store. It is a total scam.


I AGREE - don't drop golf!!!
You should stick with the schedule you have (2 sciences are enough in one semester). You'd rather do well, than overload yourself with too many science classes which can result in lower grades.
Taking golf twice a week is not going to hurt - it may be the perfect solution to giving the brain a rest for a while. You have plenty of time to study without having to deny yourself a bit of fun.
Golf is not an overly strenuous sport, but it will keep you fit, relaxed and socially active.
Most pharmacists are not walking encyclopedias - they are normal people who enjoy what life has to offer outside of the pharmacy world. Life is short - make the best of it!
 
thank yall for the advice. its greatly appreciated. anymore advice? im not dropping english and im confused as to whether I should drop golf or not? is anyone willing to sell me books?
 
okay. I dropped golf. so all in all I now have 15 hour work load. where can I buy textbooks from? im gonna need them pretty soon I just can't find anywhere that sells them for cheap! im stressing out. any advice?

Try cheaptextbooks.com or some other internet search engine that will let you see the prices for the books for many different websites. I used this for my pharmacy books and it worked out great. Just be sure that you don't pay more in shipping costs buying from a bunch of different sellers than you would buying through the bookstore.

As for your class schedule, I would say it looks okay except it might be kind of hard for a brand new college student. But I don't know you, you could be brilliant or an extremely hard worker. Those classes aren't too difficult, but it all just depends on what kind of academic rigor you're used to.
 
okay. will do! but what if the book were supposed to get is like for example 6th edition. but the only thing they sell is 5th edition. could I get the 5th edition? would it make a difference?
 
okay. will do! but what if the book were supposed to get is like for example 6th edition. but the only thing they sell is 5th edition. could I get the 5th edition? would it make a difference?

depends on the professor, but I'd buy the correct edition because its a pain in the butt to try and find the correct page/chapters/homework when you have a older addition. Also, you have a better chance of selling your books back.

Hint: buy online your textbooks and sell em back to the bookstore at the end of the year. You usually break even on the uber expensive science books.

Back to the original topic: its up to you on the golf. I personally wouldn't take it just so you do have that extra time to focus on school if you need to, and you can always take it next quarter/semester. I play golf and while its not a tedious or physical sport, it is extremely time consuming if you want to become a decent player (so time consuming that players play for years to develop a good golf game).

When I went back to school, i started out with 3 classes (2 sci/1 hum), and studied my butt off to get straight A's. I used that first quarter/semester as a baseline, and I adjusted my study habits, and social life accordingly, and was able to maintain a insane gpa while having a very good social life. I found out later I didnt have to study that hard to maintain my gpa, because the first quarter taught me how to study.
 
Last edited:
If you are working a part time job, I would drop golf. If you do not work, keep the golf course - you'll have plenty of time to study.

The rest of your courses are very doable.
 
What do they make you do in Pre-Cal lab...? jw.
Anyway, you can always take Golf some other time, so if I were you, I'd skip it. About the book edition, just get the current one so that "you're on the same page." 😀