-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Fall 2010 Acceptances!
Started by JMM051
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Howd you find out about yale? Snail mail oe email? Thanks!
Howd you find out about yale? Snail mail oe email? Thanks!
Email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my first rejection! Yale Epi. Ruined my 3/3 acceptance streak, darn. I was considering Yale but it wasn't my top choice so I'm not super upset or anything. Guess I will be going to Emory in that case.
Same boat as you, even the streak. What other schools were you accepted to? So far, my top choice out of the accepted schools is Emory too.
so nervous... any up and coming MPH programs with late deadlines that anyone wants to recommend?
I admit my GPA is lower (3.1) and my GMAT is also low, but I have strong recommenders and research/extracurricular experience. Not sure what I will do if I strike out...
I admit my GPA is lower (3.1) and my GMAT is also low, but I have strong recommenders and research/extracurricular experience. Not sure what I will do if I strike out...
so nervous... any up and coming MPH programs with late deadlines that anyone wants to recommend?
I admit my GPA is lower (3.1) and my GMAT is also low, but I have strong recommenders and research/extracurricular experience. Not sure what I will do if I strike out...
Did you apply to int'l health everywhere?
Don't worry too too much. I got into Emory and am waitlisted at BU with a 2.95. I made up for my lower GPA with my SOP, experience, and recs.
knitPHgurl and emily, Yale ruined my 4/4 acceptance streak a few weeks ago (for CDE). It's okay though...I don't really want to live in New Haven. Emory is my top choice as well (unless UMich gives me a nice scholarship that makes it cheaper than Emory).
Did you apply to int'l health everywhere?
Don't worry too too much. I got into Emory and am waitlisted at BU with a 2.95. I made up for my lower GPA with my SOP, experience, and recs.
HSMP @ OSU (but expressed interest in working in new, non-degree global health programs)
HPM @ UIC
Environmental Health with global focus @U of Minn
knitPHgurl and emily, Yale ruined my 4/4 acceptance streak a few weeks ago (for CDE). It's okay though...I don't really want to live in New Haven. Emory is my top choice as well (unless UMich gives me a nice scholarship that makes it cheaper than Emory).
Me too! 4/4...stupid Yale. Which were the other schools that you were accepted to? Did Emory mention funding?
Same boat as you, even the streak. What other schools were you accepted to? So far, my top choice out of the accepted schools is Emory too.
Emory, Pitt and SUNY Albany. Will probably end up at Emory unless I get the full tuition/$12k stipend scholarship at Albany.
Congrats!! HaitiMPHAccepted: Boston (International Health) with 12k merit scholarship
Emory (Global Health)
Michigan (Health Behavior and Health Education)
Ohio State (Health Promotion and Education)
Tulane (International Health and Development)
How did Ohio and Tulane notify you?
Congrats!! HaitiMPH
How did Ohio and Tulane notify you?
Tulane notified by email 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone hear from upenn?
nope, not yet....i'm wondering if they really sent out their letters by jan 30th.
Accepted: Boston (International Health) with 12k merit scholarship
Emory (Global Health)
Michigan (Health Behavior and Health Education)
Ohio State (Health Promotion and Education)
Tulane (International Health and Development)
Haiti, when did you apply? I'm waiting on Michigan for HBHE quite impatiently.
yea, EpiDhy, did you apply to Epi at Tulane?
they received my app by the second week of Dec
😎
Well, on a whim (actually, it was blind hope) I applied to UNC's Nutritional Epi PhD Program in early Dec because I found it while looking up stuff to write up my SOP for MPH programs... I thought I had found "the one" when it came to a school and a program, but I just got an email from the director of the department, and said that he did not think any of the faculty thought they found a good fit with me nor wanted to push forward.
🙁
Admittedly, I found out about the program on Dec 2nd and had to rush to get the application in before Dec 15th for their scholarship deadline. Not enough time to build up a rapport with any faculty inquiries... if this app season does not go my way I am all over UNC again for 2011...
Awaiting: Tufts, UC Berkeley, NYU
🙁
Admittedly, I found out about the program on Dec 2nd and had to rush to get the application in before Dec 15th for their scholarship deadline. Not enough time to build up a rapport with any faculty inquiries... if this app season does not go my way I am all over UNC again for 2011...
Awaiting: Tufts, UC Berkeley, NYU
Found out today through snail mail that I got accepted to the Health Behavior and Health Education Department.
I applied by 12/15
I applied by 12/15
UPitt, UMich, UIC, and Emory; I'm still waiting on GW.Me too! 4/4...stupid Yale. Which were the other schools that you were accepted to? Did Emory mention funding?
Emory is not announcing scholarships until March. But I'm not counting on getting one--they said recipients usually have near perfect GPAs and near perfect GRE scores. The financial aid funding won't be announced until after April 1.
Accepted to Yale for Health Policy!!
Stats:
GPA: 3.7 (Major Political Science, Georgetown SFS)
GRE
Verbal: 710
Quant: 630
Writing: 5.0
Waiting to hear from Columbia, Berkeley and NYU...
congrats, holalola! when did yale receive your app?
Well, on a whim (actually, it was blind hope) I applied to UNC's Nutritional Epi PhD Program in early Dec because I found it while looking up stuff to write up my SOP for MPH programs... I thought I had found "the one" when it came to a school and a program, but I just got an email from the director of the department, and said that he did not think any of the faculty thought they found a good fit with me nor wanted to push forward.
🙁
Admittedly, I found out about the program on Dec 2nd and had to rush to get the application in before Dec 15th for their scholarship deadline. Not enough time to build up a rapport with any faculty inquiries... if this app season does not go my way I am all over UNC again for 2011...
Awaiting: Tufts, UC Berkeley, NYU
Just a FYI: try not to get yourself too caught up in "this is the perfectly place for me, otherwise I'll die" mentality because a lot of applicants apply and there aren't spots for nearly everyone that is suitable. PhD isn't something that's easy to get accepted to, and accept rates are usually in the ~5-10% range. You'll only set yourself up for disappointment if you go in with that attitude. Lots of schools offer research in nutrition (eg. Yale has two really great faculty that work in cancer related to nutrition and one of my classmates is here for exactly that, check it out: http://publichealth.yale.edu/nci/index.html).
Don't worry about it too much. Applying to the PhD is something you definitely want to spend a LOT of time doing and giving yourself no more than two weeks is not enough time to put together something that resembles what you're truly capable of.
Just get your materials together again next year and be sure to have your academic adviser and other academic types look over your materials (ESPECIALLY your statement of purpose). The most important part of your application is your statement of purpose (because it includes what you're interested in researching and that's how faculty determine if you're a proper fit for any faculty member). Good GPA and GRE is only part of the package: without good research fit, you're a sitting duck.
Finally caved in an created an account for this thread. All are MPH programs.
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Accepted:
Yale
UT Houston
Pitt
Interview:
Michigan
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia, UNC, UCLA, BU, U Washington
Hoping I might hear from UNC in the affirmative in the next few days.
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Accepted:
Yale
UT Houston
Pitt
Interview:
Michigan
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia, UNC, UCLA, BU, U Washington
Hoping I might hear from UNC in the affirmative in the next few days.
It's good that you caved in. It's nice to be able to share knowledge with others. What concentrations did you apply to?Finally caved in an created an account for this thread. All are MPH programs.
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Accepted:
Yale
UT Houston
Pitt
Interview:
Michigan
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia, UNC, UCLA, BU, U Washington
Hoping I might hear from UNC in the affirmative in the next few days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted to GW, BU, Emory, and Yale.
Does anyone have any comparisons between the schools? I'm interested in GW and Emory, right now! 🙂
When were you accepted to GW and what program was it?
haha I also caved in and decided to check this thread cuz I'm waiting for some top choice schools.
Stats:
GPA: 3.3
GRE: 670 (V), 700 (Q), 4.5 (Writing)
Experience: Peace Corps Volunteer in Health Promotion Projects
Accepted: Emory Global Health, UMich DMP, BU Global Health (8K scholarship)
Waiting: Columbia, Harvard (not MPH, but an MS), Johns Hopkins, GW
Anyone heard back from Johns Hopkins or Columbia? Those are of real interest to me!
Thanks everyone for sharing the info!! Its great to know when other people hear back!
Stats:
GPA: 3.3
GRE: 670 (V), 700 (Q), 4.5 (Writing)
Experience: Peace Corps Volunteer in Health Promotion Projects
Accepted: Emory Global Health, UMich DMP, BU Global Health (8K scholarship)
Waiting: Columbia, Harvard (not MPH, but an MS), Johns Hopkins, GW
Anyone heard back from Johns Hopkins or Columbia? Those are of real interest to me!
Thanks everyone for sharing the info!! Its great to know when other people hear back!
haha I also caved in and decided to check this thread cuz I'm waiting for some top choice schools.
Stats:
GPA: 3.3
GRE: 670 (V), 700 (Q), 4.5 (Writing)
Experience: Peace Corps Volunteer in Health Promotion Projects
Accepted: Emory Global Health, UMich DMP, BU Global Health (8K scholarship)
Waiting: Columbia, Harvard (not MPH, but an MS), Johns Hopkins, GW
Anyone heard back from Johns Hopkins or Columbia? Those are of real interest to me!
Thanks everyone for sharing the info!! Its great to know when other people hear back!
I think Columbia will still take another month, I have heard mid-March
When were you accepted to GW and what program was it?
a few weeks ago-- the Community Oriented Primary Care Program (COPC)! Are you also interested in GW??
a few weeks ago-- the Community Oriented Primary Care Program (COPC)! Are you also interested in GW??
Awesome, congrats! I am very much interested in GW, it is my top choice! I applied for their health policy program about three weeks ago and I am anxiously waiting to hear back!
Awesome, congrats! I am very much interested in GW, it is my top choice! I applied for their health policy program about three weeks ago and I am anxiously waiting to hear back!
thanks! hope you hear back soon 🙂 what do you like about gw? i'm deciding between there and emory and would love some feedback?
Don't worry about it too much. Applying to the PhD is something you definitely want to spend a LOT of time doing and giving yourself no more than two weeks is not enough time to put together something that resembles what you're truly capable of.
Just get your materials together again next year and be sure to have your academic adviser and other academic types look over your materials (ESPECIALLY your statement of purpose). The most important part of your application is your statement of purpose (because it includes what you're interested in researching and that's how faculty determine if you're a proper fit for any faculty member). Good GPA and GRE is only part of the package: without good research fit, you're a sitting duck.
I totally agree with Stories! I took a year off between MPH and PhD (finished my MPH in May '09, so it hasn't quite been a year yet, but it's a year off school!) in order to have extra time to apply and prepare for a PhD. In that time, I was able to really get a good hold on what I'd like to do for my dissertation project, meet with faculty (several faculty members who I already knew, and some that were suggested to me by others and would be in collaboration on the project), arrange things with faculty (as in, the project I'd be working on and my advisors for the PhD) that made it very promising that I'd get in, perfect my personal and research statements, and so on. I had gotten myself into a position where I was able to only apply for one school and get in (which I did).
While I know some people go straight into a (public health oriented) PhD program from undergrad or without doing public health work, I think it was really important for me to do the MPH first...of course it was also required for me to do the MPH first since those entering the PhD at my school need to have an MPH. I learned so much about public health and the direction I wanted to go. My research interests have changed dramatically from what I thought I was interested in at the start of my MPH to where I am now, about to begin the PhD.
Good luck!
Decided to finally make a contribution to the board instead of just creeping, so here is what I got so far...
Univ. of Michigan: BS Movement Science (Kinesiology) '09
GRE: V 580 82% Q 750 83% AW 4.5 63%
GPA: 3.85
Applications: submitted early November
Other: 2+ years research, some volunteering/work with the YMCA
Acceptances: Michigan (HBHE) on 1/15 via email, SLU (BSHE) on 12/4 via email, UC-Davis (General MPH) on 2/1 via snail mail
Rejections/Waitlist: None Yet
Still Waiting: UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Washington (Seattle), Oregon MPH (OSU/PSU/OHSU), SDSU, SFSU
Univ. of Michigan: BS Movement Science (Kinesiology) '09
GRE: V 580 82% Q 750 83% AW 4.5 63%
GPA: 3.85
Applications: submitted early November
Other: 2+ years research, some volunteering/work with the YMCA
Acceptances: Michigan (HBHE) on 1/15 via email, SLU (BSHE) on 12/4 via email, UC-Davis (General MPH) on 2/1 via snail mail
Rejections/Waitlist: None Yet
Still Waiting: UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Washington (Seattle), Oregon MPH (OSU/PSU/OHSU), SDSU, SFSU
thanks! hope you hear back soon 🙂 what do you like about gw? i'm deciding between there and emory and would love some feedback?
Thanks, me too! Well there are a few reasons I like about GW. First, I can't imagine a better place to study health policy than right downtown in the nation's capital where health policies are being made. Also, GW is the only school of public health that has a whole department dedicated to health policy instead of health policy and management which most schools of public health offer. Also, the faculty members in the department of health policy are some of the best health policy experts in the nation. Lastly, I plan on working for the fed gov and there would be a lot of internship/career opportunities in the DC area.
Emory is nice too..it was actually my second choice but they rejected me 🙁
Heres a bit more detail on my stuff:
All of these are MPH programs
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Applied between Early December and the end of January for all of these.
Accepted:
Yale: Health Policy (1st choice department) via snail mail
UT Houston: Health Services Organization (and merit scholarship) via E-mail
Pitt: Behavioral and Community Health Sciences (1st choice department) via E-mail
Interview:
Michigan (Health Management and Policy) invited via e-mail
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia (Health Polcy and Managament/Sociomedical sciences), UNC (Health Behavior and Health Education), UCLA (Community Health Sciences), BU (Health Law, Bioethics and Human Rights), U Washington (Health Services)
I'm really hoping hard that UNC gets back to me in the next few days in the affirmative for HBHE. I also applied by 12/15 so here's hoping I follow in your footsteps UniqueStylez!
All of these are MPH programs
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Applied between Early December and the end of January for all of these.
Accepted:
Yale: Health Policy (1st choice department) via snail mail
UT Houston: Health Services Organization (and merit scholarship) via E-mail
Pitt: Behavioral and Community Health Sciences (1st choice department) via E-mail
Interview:
Michigan (Health Management and Policy) invited via e-mail
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia (Health Polcy and Managament/Sociomedical sciences), UNC (Health Behavior and Health Education), UCLA (Community Health Sciences), BU (Health Law, Bioethics and Human Rights), U Washington (Health Services)
I'm really hoping hard that UNC gets back to me in the next few days in the affirmative for HBHE. I also applied by 12/15 so here's hoping I follow in your footsteps UniqueStylez!
Heres a bit more detail on my stuff:
All of these are MPH programs
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Applied between Early December and the end of January for all of these.
Accepted:
Yale: Health Policy (1st choice department) via snail mail
UT Houston: Health Services Organization (and merit scholarship) via E-mail
Pitt: Behavioral and Community Health Sciences (1st choice department) via E-mail
Interview:
Michigan (Health Management and Policy) invited via e-mail
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia (Health Polcy and Managament/Sociomedical sciences), UNC (Health Behavior and Health Education), UCLA (Community Health Sciences), BU (Health Law, Bioethics and Human Rights), U Washington (Health Services)
I'm really hoping hard that UNC gets back to me in the next few days in the affirmative for HBHE. I also applied by 12/15 so here's hoping I follow in your footsteps UniqueStylez!
Good LUCK Deem23!!!
Haiti, when did you apply? I'm waiting on Michigan for HBHE quite impatiently.
i submitted my application to UM on 11/6 and heard back via email on 1/15.
curious14 - OSU notified me via email, Tulane via snailmail.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my first acceptance from email yesterday!! 🙂 Just wanna spread my joy. I never thought they would accept me as I have a low GPA (2.7) and my GRE score was not very impressive either. I only have a lot of volunteer activities as well as work experience at an HIV research centre. I am considering myself very lucky this time.
Application sent on January 7th and everything was received on January 21st.
Two to three weeks turnaround. Very efficient.
Accepted: Emory Department of Behavioral Science
Still Waiting: U of Washington, Yale and Brown
** Question: They have not updated the OPUS yet. Should I be worried? How long do they usually take to update the online system?
Thanks.
Application sent on January 7th and everything was received on January 21st.
Two to three weeks turnaround. Very efficient.
Accepted: Emory Department of Behavioral Science
Still Waiting: U of Washington, Yale and Brown
** Question: They have not updated the OPUS yet. Should I be worried? How long do they usually take to update the online system?
Thanks.
3
304246
Finally caved in an created an account for this thread. All are MPH programs.
3.5+ GPA from Ivy League
GRE: 650 V 710 M
Lots of other good stuff
Accepted:
Yale
UT Houston
Pitt
Interview:
Michigan
Rejections:
None
Awaiting Response:
Columbia, UNC, UCLA, BU, U Washington
Hoping I might hear from UNC in the affirmative in the next few days.
Deem23-What was Yale's turnaround time? tnx
Deem23-What was Yale's turnaround time? tnx
I designated right before christmas and just found out this week.
Accepted to the U of MN today for Epi! only school I applied to due to geographic restrictions. Pretty quick turnaround, too.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 5K