Fall 2010 Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amysh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of these already on the forums, but I haven't really been able to extrapolate how I fair in the applicant pool from everyone else's information and answers, so I figured I'd throw my info out there and see if anyone would like to throw their two cents in if I have a chance?

I have a 3.5 GPA, I just took the GRE's today and got a 1160, 510 Verbal and 650 Quantitative. I am getting my BA in Psychology [no communications or speech program at my school] therefore I'm lacking in most program's prereqs and I shadowed a couple audiologists for a short period of time [very short].

I'm going to apply to Salus, Northeastern, Rush, St Johns and CUNY Brooklyn. I know Rush is a competitive program and a little about Northeastern but I'm really in the dark in terms of the others. Does anyone know if they they good programs? Competitive?

Has everyone applying for next year admission already started their applications? I'm still trying to get everything in order. I'm also really curious about everyone else's scores and experience in audiology if you'd share :)

Members don't see this ad.

you have a fairly good good gpa and gre score, but most likely you'll need those prereqs. some schools might allow you to take them while attending, but i know cuny you need it before hand. cuny is a very competitive program to get into and its not just in brooklyn college it takes place in hunter and the graduate center in the city as well. st. johns is part of the long island consortium which includes adelphi and hofstra and they have become competitive after they received their accreditation last yr. the others im not sure about.

How are you going to apply for fall 2010 if you do not have any of the pre-reqs? Are you planning on taking the classes after you are matriculated?

Your grades and GRE scores seem competitive, however, you don't have any speech or hearing classes for the admissions committee to refer to. Also, what does your resume look like? Anything in addition to the shadowing? Volunteering?

I was accepted to the Long Island consortium for this fall. As BigAl said, it is a consortium between St Johns, Hofstra & Adelphi. You do pick one campus as your "home" school which gives you your diploma, but your classes and clinic are at all three campuses. Also, the tuition is based on the highest out of the 3 schools, which would be St. Johns, at (I believe) $950/credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I applied at Salus, I actually got money from other programs, but I still would say Salus all the way. I think with what you have you will for sure get in. They do let people in as they apply, so they do not wait till the end and compare everyone. They seemed to be very excited about me, I have a good feeling about being let in and my info is similar to yours. They told me that they accept a lot of people who are not communication sciences and disorders. They are very medical, so they do not look at speech the same way a program that is in a communication sciences dept does. They are not in a speech department. Audiology is a college there so they are looking to see if you will do good in their program. I know someone who goes there, she had just over a 3.0 but she had a great interview and she had good GRE scores and she thought that she would get really good letters of recommendation. You have to have some science pre-recs but not speech ones. I would call the lady Heather that works there, she is great and either she or the one faculty member, Dr. Inversa will help you. They have been really helpful for me. I think that you would like it there especially since you would not be the only Non-speech path person there. Do you want to a lot of research? I think the other programs you are looking at are more research than clinical. I guess that is up to you thought, what you want.
Good luck, maybe I will see you at Salus??

Hi amysh

I think that waxlover is right in that considering your background, Salus would be a great place for you. Did you interview yet? We have a great admissions counsellor named Heather McKinnis. She can tell you exactly what you need and if you are all ready to go for your interview. It sounds as though as long as you have the pre-reqs that we accept (which have little to nothing to do with speech pathology), you should be great. You seem to be a good student and you seem committed to audiology.

Considering your background, I think you would fit in at Salus very well. We have more non communication science students than we have. We accept both traditional and non-traditional students. We are of the mindset that we can teach you all of the audiology here, so if you come in with science as a background, or psyc, that is great and will make you a more layered audiologist.

Good luck!

... I am getting my BA in Psychology [no communications or speech program at my school] therefore I'm lacking in most program's prereqs and I shadowed a couple audiologists for a short period of time [very short].

Hi Amysh,
I also did not have a communication disorders type of major (was biochem). I did need to take the prereqs, however.

It's my understanding that you absolutely must have them eventually, not just for your program but for certification. Every course you take (basically everything you do on your way to the AuD, including clinic hours) is recorded in KASA (Knowledge and Skills Acquisition) including the prerequisites, and having everything done is required for ASHA certification.

You should have the audiologist you shadowed sign off on your observation hours, as you will probably need 25 hours of observation total. You can also probably obtain these hours once you are in your program, but that means you won't accrue clinical hours for the AuD until you get the observation hours. That's most likely not a big deal. In the program I am in, AuD students have no problem getting enough clinical hours, and I would assume others are similar.

Good luck to you! Also, I hope anyone can correct this post, since I am still pretty new at this (first year student.)

The last time I checked their website, CUNY does not require pre-reqs in the field. They only require a degree.

The last time I checked their website, CUNY does not require pre-reqs in the field. They only require a degree.

Wow -- you are right. Here is the link:
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/ClinicalDoctoral/audiology-ba-admissions.asp

Just based on my own very limited experience coming in to an AuD program with an atypical undergrad degree, if a program has prereqs but is OK with you taking them once you are in the grad program, it would still be hard due to scheduling. The thing that would get in the way of taking a regular undergrad course that meets either MWF or TR class would be clinic time. It would be tough to schedule in extra classes without them interfering with the grad classes or clinic time. And then there is also the added cost of taking those classes. One of my classmates is struggling with these issues.

From a more practical perspective, if other students in your class have had the prerequisites plus clinical experience, you might end up feeling a bit behind, at least at first. I have had just the bare minimum of prereqs and I still feel a little behind sometimes, and I feel like I have to work a little harder. But if there are programs that don't expect incoming students to have a lot of prereqs, it seems like those would be good for people who don't have them. Maybe those programs are structured to accommodate people with different backgrounds, and a person would not feel behind in the beginning.

I absolutely do not want to discourage you amysh, but your chances of getting into the CUNY program may be slim to none. CUNY has an EXTREMELY competitive program. They require a minimum of a 1000 GRE, otherwise they toss your application - literally, they don't even look at the rest. Although you have a relatively descent GRE score, I'm not sure how competitive your cumulative GPA is for the CUNY program. The only student that I know was accepted there was the Valedictorian of my undergraduate University.

Good luck with the application process.

Thanks for the info. I won't even bother wasting my $125 on them. I know my GRE scores won't be near 1,000.

Regardless of the information you get from others here, you should still do it. You may never know what happens. :)

I applied to:
A.T. Still
University of Northern Colorado
University of Nebraska Lincoln
Washington University
University of Minnesota

I have a nice GPA, not so nice GRE scores but I have a lot of volunteer and experience work. I took a year off to work as an audiology technician.
Every school has received my application so far.. so I am just playing the waiting game now!!

:)
Good luck to ALL

I don't know much about Washington University, MO. What are the pros and cons of that school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about Washington University, MO. What are the pros and cons of that school?

I actually went and visited the campus. They gave me the opportunity to speak with the porofessors and the head of the department. It amazed me.. their clinics.. classrooms.. research.. support and off-site rotations. They are only a graduate program, they do not have an undergraduate program. They are located in the Central Institute for the Deaf school, which houses their Masters in Deaf Education program. They also have 2 hospitals on campus (open to the community) since it is in the school of medicine. They showed me the VNG room as well as all their booths and hearing aid rooms. They have a lot of support for their students. Their 3rd year capstone project is more research based rather than other programs. The dean at the school is big into research and puts more research into the studies than a normal AuD program has to.

My personal opinion of it was great! I thought the school was awesome, and its in a climate (St.Louis) similar to the one im in now. The city has pros and cons.

The schools con for me would be location, other than that nothing really. Oh and its quite expensive, since its a fixed rate on the 4 years. But financial aid is available. They have an outstanding record and most of their students present at AAA each year. Its located on a beautiful campus and the public transportation is great!

Hope this helps!! -- I am not a rep for this school.. I just thought it was great.

wow! Thank you so much for the info, eardocsavvy. It really does help. I really like how there around the Deaf school there because I think it would really help the AuD students interact better with deaf/HH individuals and be better prepared for the reality of the audiology field.

wow! Thank you so much for the info, eardocsavvy. It really does help. I really like how there around the Deaf school there because I think it would really help the AuD students interact better with deaf/HH individuals and be better prepared for the reality of the audiology field.

There are several of schools for deaf kids in the St. Louis area. It's almost unusual that way. In addition to CID, there is also the St. Joseph Institute and the Moog Center. Parents with deaf children sometimes move deliberately to the St. Louis area, because it has so many school choices. I would think there would be a lot of clinical opportunities for audiology students, especially for people interested in cochlear implants. Just to be clear on some terminology, though, none of these are "capital D" Deaf schools (i.e. not Deaf culture.) They are auditory-oral schools and sign language is not used there.

Thanks, Kitska, for the clarification!

I actually went and visited the campus. They gave me the opportunity to speak with the porofessors and the head of the department. It amazed me.. their clinics.. classrooms.. research.. support and off-site rotations. They are only a graduate program, they do not have an undergraduate program. They are located in the Central Institute for the Deaf school, which houses their Masters in Deaf Education program. They also have 2 hospitals on campus (open to the community) since it is in the school of medicine. They showed me the VNG room as well as all their booths and hearing aid rooms. They have a lot of support for their students. Their 3rd year capstone project is more research based rather than other programs. The dean at the school is big into research and puts more research into the studies than a normal AuD program has to.

My personal opinion of it was great! I thought the school was awesome, and its in a climate (St.Louis) similar to the one im in now. The city has pros and cons.

The schools con for me would be location, other than that nothing really. Oh and its quite expensive, since its a fixed rate on the 4 years. But financial aid is available. They have an outstanding record and most of their students present at AAA each year. Its located on a beautiful campus and the public transportation is great!

Hope this helps!! -- I am not a rep for this school.. I just thought it was great.

I also visited Wash U and had the same impression! The clinical sites seem amazing, plus there seem to be lots of opportunities for students to get research experience (which might explain the AAA presentations). Maybe most important to me, though, was that everyone seems so supportive of the students.

I also visited Wash U and had the same impression! The clinical sites seem amazing, plus there seem to be lots of opportunities for students to get research experience (which might explain the AAA presentations). Maybe most important to me, though, was that everyone seems so supportive of the students.

I would agree, this is my top choice.. so I hope I get in...

:D Good luck to all!!

Has any Fall 2010 applicants heard back yet?

I just found out on Friday that I got into University at Buffalo

Congrats Malz! eardocsavvy and wannabaud...we might be classmates in the Fall!

OMG I hope, have you heard back from Washington University or do you already attend?

Nope I actually just got everything turned in recently so it's wait and see time! I hope all of us make it! :xf:

Nope I actually just got everything turned in recently so it's wait and see time! I hope all of us make it! :xf:

I can't hardly stand the wait! Cochlear and eardocsavvy, do either of you know when they're making decisions?

I can't hardly stand the wait! Cochlear and eardocsavvy, do either of you know when they're making decisions?

Well the deadline for WashU is 02/15/2010 so they will not even look at them until then. I am sure early to late March... which kills me but waiting is part of the game I suppose.

I am having so many doubts that I will get in anywhere, but focusing on different things help!

Good luck

Well the deadline for WashU is 02/15/2010 so they will not even look at them until then. I am sure early to late March... which kills me but waiting is part of the game I suppose.

I am having so many doubts that I will get in anywhere, but focusing on different things help!

Good luck

I definitely agree! Focusing on different things helps.
Keep us updated everyone with your offers :)

I would agree, this is my top choice.. so I hope I get in...

:D Good luck to all!!
Hi -
I'm new to this craziness and am not even sure I understand how a "forum" works. Either way, I figured I'd give it a shot. I signed up because I wanted to wish you luck in getting into Washington University in St. Louis.

I'm a current student here, and I'm 100% satisfied with my decision. For anyone that has questions about the school, area, 4th year application (as I have just completed it), and/or capstone experience - I'd love to answer any questions that I can. It's true that I will probably brag a bit- but I am very honest with both the pros and cons.

Best of luck to all of you.

I just found out on Friday that I got into University at Buffalo
Congratulations! I have heard this is a great school :)

Quick Question: Did you hear through mail in letter or email correspondence?

Hi -
I'm new to this craziness and am not even sure I understand how a "forum" works. Either way, I figured I'd give it a shot. I signed up because I wanted to wish you luck in getting into Washington University in St. Louis.

I'm a current student here, and I'm 100% satisfied with my decision. For anyone that has questions about the school, area, 4th year application (as I have just completed it), and/or capstone experience - I'd love to answer any questions that I can. It's true that I will probably brag a bit- but I am very honest with both the pros and cons.

Best of luck to all of you.

Thank You for your willingness to share tips and experiences. I imagine it will be helpful to all of us.

I applied to Washington U in St Louis! I hope to hear from them soon with a positive response .... Lets see!

LovingAUD:

They sent my an email and then like a week later, I got a letter in the mail.